IGNORED

Multichannel DAC 5.1 that plays DSD64 ISO image any experience

Yogui

Hi,

I have been looking for a multichannel DAC 5.1 that plays DSD64 multichannel SACD ISO images but seems that not many solutions out there.

I use foobar SACD plug in (PCM) in 2.0

The EmmLabs DAC8 MKIV 8 Channel D/A and D/D converter seems interesting

Manufacturer Link:

EMM Labs - DAC8 MkIV Multichannel Digital to Analog Converter

Price is around $8500

EMM Labs and Sonoma Pricing

An out of production model DAC6e look interesting too:

EMM Labs - DAC6e SE 6 Channel Digital to Analog Converter

I suppose that a PCI card is required to input in the DAC.

I would use Lynx Studio Technology AES16e in to the DAC PCM input.

Any feedback welcome on this DAC or other.

Thanks, Yogui.

BTW, I am no expert in Multichannel nor DSD so take easy if I got any concept wrong. :-)

Synology DS1815>Cisco Switch>CAPS Pipeline Win7/10 x64 > Foobar/AlbumPlayer/JRiver MC > ASIO > Dac: exaSound e28 > Speakers: Focal SM9 and Twins Be6 in 5.1 > HeadAmp: Woo WA22 > Cans: HD800 (Bal)/Focal Uthopia > Portable: Iphone X> Shure SE530PTH

The EMM DACs you propose would play PCM 5.1 channel files as you describe using the Lynx AES PCI card. To play multi-channel DSD files (ISO .dff/.dsf or straight) requires the use of the proprietary EMM Optical input, or in the case of the DAC8, the SDIF or EMM Optical. The AES inputs on both the DAC6 and DAC8 can only accept PCM up to a sampling rate of 96HHz, but does convert whatever speed PCM to 64 or 128fs DSD (dependent on DAC rev level) prior to D/A conversion. Both the EMM DAC6 and DAC8 were designed to be used with either the companion EMM Transport, or Sonoma Digital Workstation, or in the case of the DAC8, in a studio environment where SDIF was available.

An alternative, although no help if SDIF or EMM Optical is not available, is the Mytek 8X192 ADDA converter. Mytek has talked about integrating three of their Stereo 192 DACS, and using Firewire to input DSD files, achieving what you’re looking for.

Another possible solution coming soon... Oppo BDP105

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Another possible solution coming soon... Oppo BDP105

No, Oppo has already stated that their DAC is limited to 24/192 via the digital inputs. The player portion, like it's 8x and 9x predecessors, will do DSD but only via spinning SACD disc (DSD to analog, or the typical hdmi route). My $.02 says that is a huge misstep, since we already know the DAC chip does DSD!!

I will report back on what Tom (tailspn) referred to, that is, me stacking Mytek stereo DACs with a FireWire hub. Michal is working out the details....

Thanks for these detailed replies

It sounds that we are not there yet for 5.1 DSD from ISO files

Btw, daniel Weiss reply a similar enquiry from myself that they are working on DSD support for the DAC 202 (stereo) via firmware and driver upgrade

Don't know of any time frame and if it will include other products

I was tempted to have 3 stereo dac 202 with one as master clock but that would be more expensive than the emmslabs DAC 8 :-)

And a silly 3 volume controls etc

Is it fair to say that weiss and emmslabs are much better SQ than mytec?

I ve only listened to weiss 202 dac

If so, I would say better to wait then.

Cheers,

Synology DS1815>Cisco Switch>CAPS Pipeline Win7/10 x64 > Foobar/AlbumPlayer/JRiver MC > ASIO > Dac: exaSound e28 > Speakers: Focal SM9 and Twins Be6 in 5.1 > HeadAmp: Woo WA22 > Cans: HD800 (Bal)/Focal Uthopia > Portable: Iphone X> Shure SE530PTH

No, Oppo has already stated that their DAC is limited to 24/192 via the digital inputs. The player portion, like it's 8x and 9x predecessors, will do DSD but only via spinning SACD disc (DSD to analog, or the typical hdmi route). My $.02 says that is a huge misstep, since we already know the DAC chip does DSD!!

The BDP105 has two HDMI inputs. Current SACD players can send multi-channel DSD over HDMI. Could a Foobar plugin (for example) do the same thing and play multi-channel DFFs or SACD ISOs by sending DSD over HDMI to the Oppo? That would be cool.

Russ

Well, it looks like the Myteck 8x192 is a clear winner.

It does DSD and PCM just $3500, it's it that easy?

Would this audio chain work?

Windows 7x64 PC

ISO DSD64/128 SACD file (effectively should play anything like DVD-A ISO and FLAC)

Foobar with DSD plug to ASIO

Lynx Driver installed

Lynx Studio Technology AES16e (does the Lynx card break DSD in to PCM?, then I need to go Firewire to bypass and keep DSD)

DB25 to DB25 (EAS/EBU, need to check pinouts?)

Myteck 8x192

DB25 to 4 XLR (8ch Balanced Analog)

Any tricks? e.g. re-clock the Lynx card from the Mytek CX 797 clock out?

Thanks,

The BDP105 has two HDMI inputs. Current SACD players can send multi-channel DSD over HDMI. Could a Foobar plugin (for example) do the same thing and play multi-channel DFFs or SACD ISOs by sending DSD over HDMI to the Oppo? That would be cool.

Russ

Nope, the Oppo 105 will not do DSD over HDMi except via SACD discs. As I stated earlier, and Oppo has made clear since, the Oppo 105 will NOT do DIFF or DSF. If you have an SACD ISO, burn it to disc and play it in the Oppo (as you can today with any SACD-R compatible SACD player).

Well, it looks like the Myteck 8x192 is a clear winner.

It does DSD and PCM just $3500, it's it that easy?

Would this audio chain work?

Windows 7x64 PC

ISO DSD64/128 SACD file (effectively should play anything like DVD-A ISO and FLAC)

Foobar with DSD plug to ASIO

Lynx Driver installed

Lynx Studio Technology AES16e (does the Lynx card break DSD in to PCM?, then I need to go Firewire to bypass and keep DSD)

DB25 to DB25 (EAS/EBU, need to check pinouts?)

Myteck 8x192

DB25 to 4 XLR (8ch Balanced Analog)

Any tricks? e.g. re-clock the Lynx card from the Mytek CX 797 clock out?

Thanks,

Yogui,

The 8x192 will not do DSD unless you feed it via the pro SDIF or st-optical, like Tom (tailspn) does via a professional Sonoma workstation. We have discussed this several places, this long thread being the best source.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/mytek-multichannel-8x192-dsd-capable-dac-10646/

Yougi,

As Ted said, the Mytek 8X192 is an 8 channel professional A/D and D/A converter that accepts PCM and DSD data formats. For PCM, it has separate AES inputs and outputs included. For DSD, it has an optional DSD I/O module, which can accommodate both SDIF wired, and ST Optical SDIF developed by EMM Labs for Sony for interfacing the Sonoma Workstation. The confusion arises with the additional I/O modules for the 8X192 for USB, Firewire, and MADI. These all exist, but none support DSD. Only PCM. The only way to input DSD into the Mytek 8X192 is through the two pro SDIF and EMM ST Optical described above.

The Mytek Stereo192 is different. It is 2 channel DAC of the quality of the 8X192, and is the subject of the whatsbest link I posted to you below. Presently, it’s 2 channel, and does support the consumer DSD USB and Firewire interfaces, plus wired SDIF in one of its versions, along with all the PCM interfaces. Mytek is working on a multi-channel (5.1) configuration that would combine three Stereo192 units with a Firewire hub, to support multi-channel DSD and PCM via Firewire the same way it currently supports Stereo. Several software players say they currently support multi-channel.

The configuration you outlined will work for PCM. The AES/EBU definition supports PCM interchange only.

Nope, the Oppo 105 will not do DSD over HDMi except via SACD discs. As I stated earlier, and Oppo has made clear since, the Oppo 105 will NOT do DIFF or DSF. If you have an SACD ISO, burn it to disc and play it in the Oppo (as you can today with any SACD-R compatible SACD player).

Thanks Ted. I'll probably still get one. Multi-channel DFF to PCM into the BDP-105 should still sound pretty good and hold me over until a multi-channel DSD DAC (that I can afford) is ready for prime-time.

Russ

Thanks guys, very clean explanation

sadly its wait time then for me. :-)

I rather get something that plays every format, no that i have to switch the output to send DSD then back to PCM

Thanks guys, very clean explanation

sadly its wait time then for me. :-)

I rather get something that plays every format, no that i have to switch the output to send DSD then back to PCM

The Mytek DAC, in addition to other USB/Firewire DSD capable DACs would do exactly what you request, without "output" switching for different formats. Stereo today, and in the case for Mytek and using Frirewire, Multi-channel in a few months.

Thanks Tailspn,

After I wrote my previous post I started thinking about what u exactly said, thanks for that.

I am upgrading Amp-Speakers as well, for which we are not waiting for a new mile stone :-)

I will re-focus on Speakers now and Hopefully is a matter of months for the DAC. Then the rest of the industry follows to support DSD more.

Cheers,

• 4 weeks later...
Yogui,

The 8x192 will not do DSD unless you feed it via the pro SDIF or st-optical, like Tom (tailspn) does via a professional Sonoma workstation. We have discussed this several places, this long thread being the best source.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/mytek-multichannel-8x192-dsd-capable-dac-10646/

Yohui, the output side you describe is OK

As for input, Ted's correct. Tailspin is the expert on this.

I own this DAC (and I'm still waiting for the illusive DSD capable USB card..)

Lost track of how long I've waited.

Your welcome to come purchase my Mytek and "take over the wait". I live less that 1000km from you BTW..

Cheers

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

The Mytek DAC, in addition to other USB/Firewire DSD capable DACs would do exactly what you request, without "output" switching for different formats. Stereo today, and in the case for Mytek and using Frirewire, Multi-channel in a few months.

Thanks Tailspin.

"in a few months ..That's *very exciting* hearing that from you Tailspin, becuase I know you know what you are talking about.....but no disrespect, I've heard that from Mytek before....

Care to be more specific? What playback pathway are you describing.. Via JRiver? What?. So do I get the firewire card now? Has Mytek finally given up on that USB card?..

BTW. They owe me a card. I bought a Multichannel Mytek bundled with a card..that was around 12 months ago now..:)

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

Oppo BPD-103 should arrive today. I'm going to connect my laptop to it via HDMI to find out if it will play back hi-rez multi-channel files.

BTW, does anyone know if there's a way for my HP laptop to display HDMI video from an external source? It would be nice if the laptop display can be used for Oppo setup menus and DVD-V/DVD-A playback menus.

• 1 month later...

So where are we at with all this? sigh....

Sorry, should have posted a follow-up sooner.

I am successfully playing back 5.1 DSF files from Foobar via HDMI into the Oppo BDP-103. I have Foobar set to transcode DSD to 24/88 PCM for all six channels. 5.1 FLAC files from DVD-A rips also play back fine.

Sound quality is very good with the DSD to PCM conversion. Native DSD playback would be a nice step forward, but a 5.1 DSD DAC solution isn't happening yet.

Russ

Sorry, should have posted a follow-up sooner.

I am successfully playing back 5.1 DSF files from Foobar via HDMI into the Oppo BDP-103. I have Foobar set to transcode DSD to 24/88 PCM for all six channels. 5.1 FLAC files from DVD-A rips also play back fine.

Sound quality is very good with the DSD to PCM conversion. Native DSD playback would be a nice step forward, but a 5.1 DSD DAC solution isn't happening yet.

Russ

That's cool! I had wondered if the Oppo 103 could function as a DAC using its HDMI input. And you have now answered this question! But this now begs the question: Just how good does HDMI sound when it is used as an audio-only DAC interface?

Oppo BPD-103 should arrive today. I'm going to connect my laptop to it via HDMI to find out if it will play back hi-rez multi-channel files.

BTW, does anyone know if there's a way for my HP laptop to display HDMI video from an external source? It would be nice if the laptop display can be used for Oppo setup menus and DVD-V/DVD-A playback menus.

Dear russtafarian

Have you try this method?

1. create a drive in you pc

1. share your virtual drive to network

2. mount the sacd.iso into the virtual drive in your PC

3. access the virtual drive by Oppo 103 via the network

I knew that BD.iso can be played through the above method, but no idea on sacd.iso

Dear russtafarian

1. create a drive in you pc

1. share your virtual drive to network

2. mount the sacd.iso into the virtual drive in your PC

3. access the virtual drive by Oppo 103 via the network

I knew that BD.iso can be played through the above method, but no idea on sacd.iso

Your question intrigues me.

I have tried accessing an Iso file on thumb-drive, but with no luck (the machine doesn't even see it). However mounting it to a network drive is a brilliant idea and is not something which had occurred to me. I'm betting that somebody has already tried this, but I'm going to give this a try on the very slim chance that it might actually work.

No I haven't, but I will. I can set up Foobar (and Jriver) to play SACD ISO files directly and send transcoded PCM over HDMI. I did this for a while, but the limited, inconsistent metadata embedded in the SACD ISO made it a pain to identify, organize and sequence file playback with my remote app. Although it was a lot of work to extract the DSF files and tag them in Jriver, it makes selecting and sequencing files for playback a breeze.

Russ