IGNORED

Airport express and Schiit Bifrost

I get confused more than I like to admit and with that I mix and match details. So my questions:

- using iTunes AirPlay connected to an airport express and a Schiit Bifrost via a toslink cable, are my 24/96 HD lossless-converted files playing as 24/96? I know I can't play 24/96 directed from the computer to a dac but are the files being sent to the express bit perfect?

Third Floor: AE>Pioneer solid state integrated>Sony PS-x70 turntable>KEF 103.2 speakers

Second Floor: Intel NUC>LampizatOr GA TRP/LampizatOr Integrated Solid State amp>triode wire labs speaker cables & power cord and wywires power cords>vapor über auroras speakers

Old school: VPI Prime Signature turntable w/ Ortofon Bronze Cadenza cartridge and Technics SP-10 mk2

First Floor: AE>lifatec silflex glass toslink>schiit bifrost über>Kimber kable hero RCA>audioengine 5

I get confused more than I like to admit and with that I mix and match details. So my questions:

- using iTunes AirPlay connected to an airport express and a Schiit Bifrost via a toslink cable, are my 24/96 HD lossless-converted files playing as 24/96? I know I can't play 24/96 directed from the computer to a dac but are the files being sent to the express bit perfect?

Simple answer: No.

All current AirPlay hardware is (as far as I'm aware) limited to either 16/44.1 or 16/48 (i.e. CD resolution).

You CAN however play 24/96 direct from your computer (MacMini?) direct to the Schiit BiFrost.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Thanks, Eloise.

My bifrost is hooked up to an express in a differen room than my main system. I meant by my computer statement that you can't play 24/96 directly wih iTunes. I believe you need bit perfect or some other third party software. Am I still correct with that assumption?

Third Floor: AE>Pioneer solid state integrated>Sony PS-x70 turntable>KEF 103.2 speakers

Second Floor: Intel NUC>LampizatOr GA TRP/LampizatOr Integrated Solid State amp>triode wire labs speaker cables & power cord and wywires power cords>vapor über auroras speakers

Old school: VPI Prime Signature turntable w/ Ortofon Bronze Cadenza cartridge and Technics SP-10 mk2

First Floor: AE>lifatec silflex glass toslink>schiit bifrost über>Kimber kable hero RCA>audioengine 5

Thanks, Eloise.

My bifrost is hooked up to an express in a differen room than my main system. I meant by my computer statement that you can't play 24/96 directly wih iTunes. I believe you need bit perfect or some other third party software. Am I still correct with that assumption?

No, iTunes will play 24/96 (and 24/192 and maybe higher) without any additional software.

What it won't do is automatically set the output sample rate - this is set in the AudioMidi control panel. I tunes will up-sample (or down-sample if relevant) to match the sample rate set in this control utility.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Got it. I was totally confused and relating what I know about the iPod with just iTunes on the computer.

Thanks for setting me straight, Eloise.