IGNORED

Subwoofer and DAC

Mukfu

Hi Everyone,

I need some help with the configuration I am trying to build. I have 2 EmotivaPro Airmotiv5s that are directly connected to my PC via the 3.5mm port. My audio is all ripped in AIFF. I want to add to components to my system: A DAC and a subwoofer. The DAC seems pretty straightforward. I was looking at the Cambridge Audio Dac Magic Plus. Any other recommendations under $1000 is appreciated.

The challenge is the subwoofer. How do I add that in? I know some subs have left/right pass-thru ports but I am concerned that the sub would compromise the sound quality from the sub to the Airmotivs.

Any thoughts?

Mark

If you like your Emotiva products, look at their DAC. I love my XDA-1. As for the subs, you won't know if they sound better to you with a high-pass filter on the speakers and/or a low-pass on the subs until you try the options. In my experience, good subs with true pass-through (i.e. unprocessed full frequency range) L&R outputs do not affect what comes through the speakers at all.

It's the low-pass filter through which the subs are being driven that can trip you up. A first order will cause less phase shift but is only down 6 db per octave below the set point - so you'll have to cross over lower to minimize audible effects. A third order low pass filter will cut off at 18db per octave below the set point, but there's a lot more phase shift. There are line level crossovers with digital filters that have very steep attenuation allegedly without phase shift, e.g. DEQX. But you have to bi-amp to use them. I've never seen or heard one and don't know if they're worth the cost and effort.

Many (most?) of my friends who use a sub drive the speaker systems with a full range signal and use a low pass filter on the subs.

Thx Bluesman. I believe the XDA-1 is discontinued. When I spoke to Emotiva, they said they would be launching a new DAC sometime later this year, but who knows when it will really launch.

Sounds like the right strategy is to buy a quality sub that has true pass-through outputs. Any recommendations? Someone recommended Hsu Research to me but not sure if their subs meet the criteria.

Another option would be Emotiva's USP-1 preamp.

I use it with my Airmotiv 6s and Peachtree Dac-It. It gives the volume control that my DAC doesn't have. It also has sub support with adjustable crossover point. I don't use a sub though as I'm happy with the bass that my 6s provide.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

Ok, I think this is starting to make sense, so let me see if I have this right and then ask one last question. It appears that the Peachtree NovaPre has two analog outputs, which is what I need to connect both a sub and the two monitors. I simply connect one set of of outputs to my L&R speakers and the second set of outputs to my subwoofer. Because the Peachtree has integrated analog volume, I will be able to control the whole system via the Peachtree NovaPre, correct?

If I have this right, then the last question is about the right sub to add to this system. Again, I am setting up a near field listening environment in a 10x10 room. The recommendations I have received so far are the REL T-5, the Martin Logan Dynamo 700 or the Surefire HRS-8. My intention is mostly musical (vs video) and I am hoping to lean towards greater "musicality" and integration with my monitors versus "boominess". Any final suggestions or thoughts? Thanks again!!

On my office setup, I use a 3.5" cable between my Dragonfly DAC and my Velodyne Microvee, and a second from the Velodyne's pass-through to my Audioengine A2 (active) speakers.

A second option on my A2's is to run two RCA outs to my sub. I should try that but I need to get a Y adaptor.

• 9 months later...

to wgscott: hello. i have both the dragonfly and the microvee. my connection is 2 rca cable from the A2 to the Microvee and dragonfly to the A2. just wondering if you experimented with both connected set-up vice your mentioned set-up, which one sounded better or did you hear any difference? thanks!