IGNORED

Airplay and Aiport Express - Differences in sound quality

[TABLE=class: tborder postbit, width: 100%, align: center]

[TR]

[TD=class: alt1 postMessageArea, bgcolor: #FBFBFF]Apologise is this has already been addressed, I did see a post on here regarding this a while back but can't seem to find it anymore. I'm streaming from music from Spotify and iTunes to my Denon M39 using Airport Express. I stream from my iPad as well as my Mac Powerbook. Optical in.

Seems that the sound quality using Airport Express is better than Air Foil. Also when I connect Airfoil to stream directly from System Audio - the sound seems to deteriorate massively! Can anyone confirm this and also any guesses why this may be?

At the moment it seems to be better to stream Spotify from my iPad using the extreme 320 kbps Ogg Vorbis format > that way I can bypass the mildly cruddy Airfoil sound. I've heard iOS iPad streams to Airport at a lower bit-rate than OS X Mac. From what I can hear though despite this the iPad still sounds mildly cleaner minus the Air Foil. Am I just imagining this?

I'll continue using iTunes directly with Airplay to play my MP3's and ALAC's

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

no idea about airfoil and its impact on sound quality. as for the apple itunes/airplay implementation: it transcodes the source file to alac 16bit/44.1khz. that means yes you can get 16/44.1 but not any higher. 24 bit material or higher sample rates than 44.1 are down-sampled before going over the wireless.