IGNORED

Desktop-suitable DAC's with two USB inputs?

This might be a silly question, but I am not having much luck with Google searches. I have two laptop computers positioned on my desk, one a Dell Windows 7 machine on which I manage downloading and ripping (using JRiver and iTunes) and the other an early 2008 MacBook Pro on which I use Pure Music, Decibel, and Audirvana (depending on my mood and frustration tolerance). I run either out to powered speakers via a USB cable into an HRT Streamer Plus (original version), which is connected by RCA's to a passive Apogee preamp used as a hardware volume control for the powered speakers.

Now, when I want to switch from the Mac to the Dell or vice versa, I just unplug the USB cable. Seems to me, though, that since I only use one of them at a time, it would be great if I could use a desktop-oriented DAC that simply has two USB inputs and an input selector. I'd just leave both units connected at all times via USB cables.

Google thus far only has led me to the Burson Audio DA-160 as a DAC that includes two USB inputs However, at $900, that product is a bit beyond what I'd prefer to spend and there isn't a lot of information about it compares in other ways to other DAC's. (With so many otherwise appealing DACs now in the $500 range, I'd like to stay close to that price point, but I'd go up to a grand if I get better sound quality as a result.)

Anyone seen or heard about devices that have two USB inputs or have experience with the Burson? Thanks for any info you can provide.

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

Not quite what you're looking for... But how about a DAC with built in USB and add a USB - SPDIF converter for the second computer?

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

That could work, indeed, Eloise, but it might not be as cost-effective as what I am hoping to find, given what some of those USB/sPDIF converters run on their own. I'll investigate, though. Thanks.

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

True... My second thought was 2 Dragonfly DACs with a 2 input control/amp was probably cheaper...

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Phofman, that's a completely brilliant idea; i had no idea that such switches exist. The obvious question, though, when one is spending $500+ to get the last word in DAC transparency at the price, is: how would this affect sound quality? Any idea?