IGNORED

DacIt & Dac Magic 100 Can't Decode Dolby Digital

blw74

I recently purchased a Panasonic TV and was pretty unhappy to realize that the two DACs i recently purchased are incapable of decoding a Dolby Digital Signal and unfortunately this TV does not allow me to control the optical terminal output.

I don't understand why a dolby decoder wouldn't be standard on any 2012 Dac.

Any ideas?

I recently purchased a Panasonic TV and was pretty unhappy to realize that the two DACs i recently purchased are incapable of decoding a Dolby Digital Signal and unfortunately this TV does not allow me to control the optical terminal output.

Any ideas?

Probably because of licensing costs...

Your best bet would be to get a legacy (that is non-HDMI) processor from the likes of Rotel, Arcam, Meridian even Krell or Bryston. A few hundred will secure one off eBay or similar.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Unfortunately most stereo DACs do not decode Dolby digital. Pretty much any multichannel DAC/preamp will though since most multichannel sources are Dolby Or DTS formats.

Licensing fees may be a factor but I think it's more use case. Stereo DACs assume a stereo source from cd players, etc. A Dolby decoder is almost always licensed into devices that can handle stereo and multichannel sources.

Genelec 8030a with 7050b sub > Peachtree Decco 2 > Apple TV

Unfortunately most stereo DACs do not decode Dolby digital. Pretty much any multichannel DAC/preamp will though since most multichannel sources are Dolby Or DTS formats.

Licensing fees may be a factor but I think it's more use case. Stereo DACs assume a stereo source from cd players, etc. A Dolby decoder is almost always licensed into devices that can handle stereo and multichannel sources.

So it sounds like I need pick up a Dolby receiver with an optical input and then go from TV to dobly receiver to integrated amp?

Will I be able to find a dolby receiver with a RCA stereo output?

So it sounds like I need pick up a Dolby receiver with an optical input and then go from TV to dobly receiver to integrated amp?

Will I be able to find a dolby receiver with a RCA stereo output?

If it's a doubly amp with stereo output you want, just make sure it goes up to eleven! :)

Every Panasonic we have allows you to control the audio output... you can't select 2Channel PCM output? Perhaps you could select 2Ch PCM at whatever source you are using?

-Paul

Any ideas?

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Another option may be a cheap HD STB ?

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Another option may be a cheap HD STB ?

That is a good option. Right now I just plug Comcast cable coax right into the tv antena jack.

I was hoping to avoid having another box with another remote. I wanted the tv to be the hub. I've heard that the Comcast STB has an audio setting in it. TiVo is also an option.

Every Panasonic we have allows you to control the audio output... you can't select 2Channel PCM output? Perhaps you could select 2Ch PCM at whatever source you are using?

-Paul

Well, now your just rubbing salt in it. I just bought this thing. It's their new 47" LED.

The feature is availible on Samsung tvs.

It is a joke. Controlling the audio format should be a standard feature.

Does the TV have an analog output (even a headphone out) that you could use, and bypass the need for a dac altogether?

I share your frustration here. You would think that a TV could act as a hub, letting you switch between a games machine, blu-ray/dvd player and the tv signal... but there always seems to be a catch when it comes to sound output. I suspect that a receiver may be the best option, even with the added complications and being yet another box, though personally I've never been keen on going down that route for those two reasons.

Wow, that's just plain stupid on the part of Panny. Any luck setting the sources (like yor cable box) to 2c PCM?

Well, now your just rubbing salt in it. I just bought this thing. It's their new 47" LED.

The feature is availible on Samsung tvs.

It is a joke. Controlling the audio format should be a standard feature.

Robert A. Heinlein

Wow, that's just plain stupid on the part of Panny. Any luck setting the sources (like yor cable box) to 2c PCM?

I don't have a cable box. I plug the coax from the wall straight into the tv. My trouble ticket with Panasonic did not yield any fruit. the audio tuner simply passes though what ever type of single that it is given. For standard NTSC channels I get sound via PCM stereo and for ATSC I get Dolby. The engineers decided to leave that feature out on this model:(

The Model is TC-L47E50

One option I am going to explore is getting a Cable Box or TiVo. I've heard I might be able to control the audio CODEC with a cable box's audio output, however this will make me loose the HUB effect of the TV.

I wonder if I can find a Dolby receiver with optical in and a RCA "tape" out?

I can recommend the NAD T series AVRs. One of those guys will solve pretty much any AV issue you throw at it, and they sound good too. You could use Audio return over hdmi to solve your cable issue.

Paul

I don't have a cable box. I plug the coax from the wall straight into the tv. My trouble ticket with Panasonic did not yield any fruit. the audio tuner simply passes though what ever type of single that it is given. For standard NTSC channels I get sound via PCM stereo and for ATSC I get Dolby. The engineers decided to leave that feature out on this model:(

The Model is TC-L47E50

One option I am going to explore is getting a Cable Box or TiVo. I've heard I might be able to control the audio CODEC with a cable box's audio output, however this will make me loose the HUB effect of the TV.

I wonder if I can find a Dolby receiver with optical in and a RCA "tape" out?

Robert A. Heinlein

g68.png

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.