IGNORED

Building a non-USB music server?

Lenrick

I'm a new beginner at this, but usually a quick lerner.

I'm thinking about trying to build a music server. At the moment I'm just looking for possible (high resolution compatible) hardware. If I start a build, it is important that the music server will have either 'S/PIDF coaxial out' or 'AES/EBU (AES3?) XLR out'.

Is there anyone who can point me in the right direction for hardware with 'S/PDIF coaxial out' or 'AES/EBU XLR out'?

Or is there a really good reason why most people build music server with USB out?

If software is the problem, I think I might have that covered. I just got a friend who is a programing wizard interested in high resolution digital audio. So if there is hardware with 'digital coaxial out' or 'digital XLR out' that could be usable with some coding, that might be even better.

Thanks

/Filip

This is something I'd like to know too. I'm in the "design" stage of building my own music server and have been wondering what the real difference is between using the digital out from a soundcard like the Juli@ vs. using the SOtM tX-USBexp PCIe USB 3.0 card into a DAC. Obviously the difference is S/PDIF vs. USB, but beyond that?

Kevin T

A lot of it has to do with the DAC. The following is from the Well-Tempered Computer

The Well-Tempered Computer

"There are high quality implementations of SPDIF.

Small wonder from the 80's on audio industry had the time to optimize the product.

However a PC might have a SPDIF header but probably not one of the highest possible quality.

The advantage of asynchronous USB is that due to this protocol the DAC is independent of the source as far as the timing is concerned. This allows for using a high quality fixed clock inside the DAC. Often asynchronous USB is combined with other measures like galvanic isolation to shield the DAC as much as possible from the electrical noise of the PC.

Technically both SPDIF and USB are capable of bit perfect transmission with low jitter.

As usual the result will be dependent on the implementation."

If you have a DAC with a good USB input, then the SoTM card may be your best bet. If you have an older DAC without USB or poor implementation S/PDIF may be the way.

Also I believe that S/PDIF is limited to 24/192 where USB can go 24/384, but is DAC dependent. So again, you can see how the DAC may drive this.

Main / Office: Home built computer -> Roon Core (Tidal & FLAC) -> Wireless -> Matrix Audio Mini-i Pro 3 -> Dan Clark Audio AEON 2 Noire (On order)

Portable / Travel: iPhone 12 Pro Max -> ALAC or Tidal -> iFi Hip Dac -> Meze 99 Classics or Meze Rai Solo

If you have a DAC with a good USB input, then the SoTM card may be your best bet. If you have an older DAC without USB or poor implementation S/PDIF may be the way.

Thanks for the info, but here's the rub. I'm using a Logitech Transporter SE. I have no DAC as I'm going to sell the Transporter so I can't use it's digital input. Sounds to like I should just go USB since I'll be starting from scratch. Thanks.

Kevin T

If you want good audio cards with S/PDIF and or AES output here are four.

ESI - Juli@ (PCI) or ESI - Juli@ XTe (PCIe)

ASUS - Multimedia- ASUS Xonar Essence ST (PCI) or ASUS - Multimedia- ASUS Xonar Essence STX (PCIe)

AES16 (PCI) or AES16e (PCIe)

RME: Hammerfall DSP AES-32 (PCI) or RME: HDSPe AES (PCIe)

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I'm also doing the same. Just starting out as well so not in the external DAC realm yet.

In the hope garnering valuable info for all of us, here's my Q's / thoughts

1. Would this be the approx order of decreasing sound quality

-Computers optical / USB out into DAC

-Hi end sound cards (above) with Optical out into DAC or receiver

-Airport express / Squeezebox Touch optical into DAC or receiver

-Hi end sound cards (above) with analog out into receiver

-Airport express / Squeezebox Touch analog into receiver

2. Is your budget/ears essentially dictating which of the above you go with?

3. How do you decide when to skip the receiver and go with a DAC, does price point of the receiver help?

Any other info on the pros / cons of each would be great

Thanks

derek