IGNORED

NuForce DDA-100 (or other Power DAC)

I have been patiently awaiting the arrival of the Peachtree Audio Decco65 to use on my office desktop, which has been on pre order for some time now. For $999 it really is at the top of what I want to spend for a desktop amp. While waiting for it to come out I have been shopping around thinking there may be another unit at or below the cost of the Decco65 that could work for my needs. The Emotiva mini-x a-100 caught my eye, but that would require a separate DAC. Which is fine, but Emotiva does not make a size compatible DAC (I have aesthetic issues)....

A newcomer to the mix is the NuForce DDA-100 ($549) which seems to also fit the bill nicely. I cannot find any reviews to get some expert opinions.. Also I am having a hard time wrapping my head around the digital to analog conversion used in this unit.

I have read about it on the NuForce website, but it still isn't clicking in my little brain. Since this appears to have just been out a few weeks, I doubt there is anyone on here with first hand experience, but if so, please let me know what you think...

Basically I am looking for a sub $1000 Intergrated Stereo amp with DAC (optical input), like the Peachtree Nova or Wadia PowerDAC to drive my ERA D4 speakers.

MacPro>itunes>Amarra HiFi>Peachtree Nova>Kimber 8TC>ERA D4

• 1 month later...

Buried in the comments is another link to a "review":

http://http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/nuforce_dda100_e.html

Interesting as am looking to replace a "cranky" Music Infinity amp for my ATV2 setup. Was considering Nuforce DIA (optical x 2), but now this unit as well.

Source: 1.0TB OWC Mercury Elite Pro < FW800> Mac Mini (2009 / 10.8.3)

1.0TB WD MY PASSPORT Mac Mini (2009 / 10.8.3)

Players (Hardware): MacBook Pro 13 (2011, 10.8.3 8 gig), ATV2

Amp / DAC: Nuforce DDA-100

Speakers: ELAC 201

Software: iTunes & BitPerfect / Audirvana Free / Audirvana Plus / MPD 0.16.6

Connectivity: subject to random changes

Microreview:

I own the DDA-100 since 3 weeks and found it is an interesting product.

USB input quality is not so good, but spdif is great, it is very revealing with good source, converter and cables. I am happy with the unit, soundstage and microdetails are great. One week burnin is necessary.

I have tested the spdif output with a Van den Hul fiber cable. I prefer to use some external DAC for my Sen HD-650.

Anyway it is a 500$ unit, so it is a very good value, but of course it will not sound like some $$$$ units ;)

Of course, this microreview is made with me ears, listening room and music, it is only my personal opinion !

Cheers

François MacbookPro 13" 2010 - Win7 SP1 64 - Jplaymini 4.3 - Entreq Konstantin - Legato - Nuforce DDA-100 - B&W Matrix 802

I have been using a black DDA-100 for a month over USB from a Mac. It feeds a pair of british AVI Neutron 5.

My reference system is in a different league, but I find the Nuforce to perform well when considering the price. The sound is clean with good bass and clean highs.

Cheers,

Bernard

Room: Gik Acoustics room conditioning | Power: Shunyata Omega XC + Shunyata Everest + Shunyata Sigma NR v2 power cables | Source: Mac mini with LPS running Roon core (Raat) | Ethernet: Sonore OpticalModule + Melco S10 + Shunyata Omega Ethernet | Dac/Pre/Amplification: Devialet D1000 Pro Core Infinity | Speakers: Chord Company Sarum T speaker cables + Wilson Benesch Act One Evolution P1

• 6 months later...
Buried in the comments is another link to a "review":

http://http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/nuforce_dda100_e.html

Interesting as am looking to replace a "cranky" Music Infinity amp for my ATV2 setup. Was considering Nuforce DIA (optical x 2), but now this unit as well.

Well, after a 5 month away from music, I brought a Nuforce DDA-100 to replace bits and pieces (as my wife won't let me use Schitt Bifrost / head phones etc). It sounds quite good with the Elac 201 / ATV 2 -- AirPlay from laptop with Audirvana Plus working good as well with SACD / DSD conversions to PCM. Only have approx 3 hours of play so sometime to go to "burn it in". Am using the Apple Remote with iPhone / iPad for AirPlay control.

Just to follow on: USB is "Nuforce adaptive" - 44.1, 48.0 & 96kHz. "Int" mode 1 works fine. (audirvana plus 1.4.9)

The sound is very good for speaker matching - and it's a nice alternative to the Schitt equipment.

Just to follow on: USB is "Nuforce adaptive" - 44.1, 48.0 & 96kHz. "Int" mode 1 works fine. (audirvana plus 1.4.9)

The sound is very good for speaker matching - and it's a nice alternative to the Schitt equipment.

As per on the MacBook 13 pro - optical is: 44.1, 48, 88.2 & 96 kHz. No "Int" mode 1.

All "outputs" from Audirvana Plus can handle DSD / SACD ISO pcm converts.

Hi,

I'm new to this whole DAC thing but very interested. I take it "power dac" means dac + amplifier in one device right? Meaning once I get one of these things I only need speakers?

I live in Tokyo, I've been shopping around for these things and I have to admit I have no idea which one to pick. In the Nuforce price range I saw these ones (some of which may just be regular DAC, I'm not really sure):

Olasonic Nanocompo

Ratoc Audio Lab DSDHA1

Alpha Design Lab Esprit

Luxman DA-100

Fostex HP-A7

I also hear the Wadia 151 Powerdac mini is a popular choice though I couldn't find one here.

So how does one make a decision without being able to hear how they sound? Are there things I need to know concerning specs and such that could help me in my choice?

Also if USB doesn't sound as good as "spdif", how does one convert the usb output of a computer into "spdif"?

Sorry, I'm a complete newb...

I'll answer some of your questions for you...

First; yes a "power DAC" is effectively a DAC combined with an amplifier. Specifically it's a special kind of amplifier which is accepts a digital input cutting any intermediate analogue stages.

To your final question; to get SPDIF out of a computer most people use a USB to SPDIF converter. These start around £100 for something like Musical Fidelity V-Link MkII or M2Tech HiFace up to over £1000 for Berkeley Alpha USB, Empiracle Audio and others. Alternatively you could use a sound card - examples here include ESi Juli@ and Lynx AES16.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I'll answer some of your questions for you...

First; yes a "power DAC" is effectively a DAC combined with an amplifier. Specifically it's a special kind of amplifier which is accepts a digital input cutting any intermediate analogue stages.

To your final question; to get SPDIF out of a computer most people use a USB to SPDIF converter. These start around £100 for something like Musical Fidelity V-Link MkII or M2Tech HiFace up to over £1000 for Berkeley Alpha USB, Empiracle Audio and others. Alternatively you could use a sound card - examples here include ESi Juli@ and Lynx AES16.

Thanks a lot for your reply. My first priority I suppose is to learn how to tell the difference between a regular DAC and a power DAC. Then decide whether it's worth investing in a USB to SPDIF converter.

I think of those DAC listed in my previous post only the nuforce, the olasonic and the wadia are power DAC.