IGNORED

Anyone with Synology Experience - I would like to stream Spotify over wireless to a Synology device

I am considering getting this neat little device from Synology, called a USB Station 2 (Google it) - so that I can stream music from my PC wirelessly (the USB Station 2 does wireless if you add a wireless USB dongle), direct to the USB Station 2 then out to my async USB DAC (connected of course via the USB Station 2).

I can see from the instructions that you need to install the Synology software on the source PC, and the USB Station supports connectivity to DLNA devices (i.e. media players from PC's, except that Spotify is not a media player).

I was considering installing Logitech Media Server (LMS) which would serve as my DLNA compliant software, then installing the Spotify plugin for LMS - but there maybe other options and this might not work with Synology.

Thanks for your help.

I haven't used that device myself but I'm a bit confused by your use-case. From a quick scan of the specs, the USB Station seems to act like a mini-NAS and runs as a standalone server. Typically, it woujld therefore act as the streaming source and if you want to listen to the stream on a PC, say, you'd then fire up a browser, attach to the USB Station and run the audio streamer. You can also attach iPads etc. onto the home network, download a "DS Audio" app, and do the same things that way. However, your question seemed to imply that you wanted to stream from a PC to the USB Station?

(BTW, the larger Synology NAS products support the download and running of the Logitech media server but I don't know if the USB Station supports that, though I don't see why not since they all seem to operate off the same DSM software package.)

I haven't used that device myself but I'm a bit confused by your use-case. From a quick scan of the specs, the USB Station seems to act like a mini-NAS and runs as a standalone server. Typically, it woujld therefore act as the streaming source and if you want to listen to the stream on a PC, say, you'd then fire up a browser, attach to the USB Station and run the audio streamer. You can also attach iPads etc. onto the home network, download a "DS Audio" app, and do the same things that way. However, your question seemed to imply that you wanted to stream from a PC to the USB Station?

(BTW, the larger Synology NAS products support the download and running of the Logitech media server but I don't know if the USB Station supports that, though I don't see why not since they all seem to operate off the same DSM software package.)

Yes, looking at it again, I was sort of hoping it would be a wireless USB extension to plug into my async USB DAC (you can do that by the way using a wireless USB hub which presents virtual USB ports to the PC - could be an interesting way of hooking up a USB DAC remotely).

No, looking at the USB Station, there is no support for LMS - that would come part and parcel with an nice low cost alternative NAS such as the Synology DS212J. I think running LMS is an excellent plan for the music and just connecting the DAC directly to the USB ports of the DS212J (especially now that it looks like the Squeezebox Touch has been discontinued).

• 3 months later...
Yes, looking at it again, I was sort of hoping it would be a wireless USB extension to plug into my async USB DAC (you can do that by the way using a wireless USB hub which presents virtual USB ports to the PC - could be an interesting way of hooking up a USB DAC remotely).

No, looking at the USB Station, there is no support for LMS - that would come part and parcel with an nice low cost alternative NAS such as the Synology DS212J. I think running LMS is an excellent plan for the music and just connecting the DAC directly to the USB ports of the DS212J (especially now that it looks like the Squeezebox Touch has been discontinued).

did you managed to get it to work? combining with the Bel Canto REFLink looks interesting!