IGNORED

Brahms: Ein deutsches Requiem (EMI)

This is the classic, monumental 1961 recording of Brahms's 'Ein deutsches Requiem' with Otto Klemperer and the Philharmonia Orchestra & Chorus on EMI, part of that label's recent batch of 96/24 remasterings of its back catalog. Downloaded from HDtracks. The graphs here (of the 2nd movement) look great, and they show that even 50-year-old analog tapes have a good deal of dynamics and frequency extension.

Russell

BrahmsRequiem-FreqAnl.png

BrahmsRequiem-Spectrum.png

BrahmsRequiem-Waveform.png

MacBook Pro 2021 16” (M1 Pro, 16MB RAM, macOS Ventura) > Audirvana Origin > Pangea Audio USB-AG > Sony TA-ZH1ES > Nordost Heimdall 2 > Audeze LCD-3

even 50-year-old analog tapes have a good deal of dynamics and frequency extension.

Not sure I agree the graphs support that conclusion - considering 15 KHz is down at -90 dB, I would guess that anything beyond that is just equipment and ADC noise (assuming the ADC was actually 24 bits, instead of just remastering being done in 24 bits).

@Julf: I'm sure you're correct; I'm just happy to have this great recording sounding as good as it does, with full dynamics and unconstrained by any 22kHz brickwalling (even if the extreme high frequencies are way down!).

@Musicophile: I'm really pleased with how this sounds. It's true that EMI was always behind RCA & Decca in sound quality, especially during the early days of stereo. On the other hand, many of the RCAs and Deccas of the time often sound too forward and aggressive to me. The Klemperer Brahms Requiem, like many EMIs from that period, had always sounded murky and indistinct to me, but this new remastering goes a long way toward clearing it up. I haven't compared it directly to my CD (the Great Recordings of the Century edition, from the late 90's), but I don't remember it sounding as good as this latest remastering. There's still some hiss, of course, but there's a pleasing sense of depth and breadth, coupled with a nice, solid bass foundation. Dynamics are as wide as the graphs suggest (and totally effortless and with no distortion). I'm really happy with it!

MacBook Pro 2021 16” (M1 Pro, 16MB RAM, macOS Ventura) > Audirvana Origin > Pangea Audio USB-AG > Sony TA-ZH1ES > Nordost Heimdall 2 > Audeze LCD-3

@Musicophile: I'm really pleased with how this sounds. It's true that EMI was always behind RCA & Decca in sound quality, especially during the early days of stereo. On the other hand, many of the RCAs and Deccas of the time often sound too forward and aggressive to me. The Klemperer Brahms Requiem, like many EMIs from that period, had always sounded murky and indistinct to me, but this new remastering goes a long way toward clearing it up. I haven't compared it directly to my CD (the Great Recordings of the Century edition, from the late 90's), but I don't remember it sounding as good as this latest remastering. There's still some hiss, of course, but there's a pleasing sense of depth and breadth, coupled with a nice, solid bass foundation. Dynamics are as wide as the graphs suggest (and totally effortless and with no distortion). I'm really happy with it!

Thanks. Need to check it out, this is probably still my favorite version of the Requiem, although Herreweghe is a nice HIP alternative.