IGNORED

"How Headphones Changed the World"

Just wanted to share this terrific (and short) article that was published on May 30th in The Atlantic. I appologize if it's already been referenced here on CA.

How Headphones Changed the World - Derek Thompson - The Atlantic

Well headphones have been around since 1919. The History of Headphones | Visual.ly

All I know, my brother who is a Otologist currently sees more young people than older people for hearing loss a change in the last 15 years and his patients admit to playing their music too loud in their headphones regardless of type. He told this one kid, take my advice and turn it down or I will be seeing you later. . The need for peaceful quit even cased a man to walk into the side of a train

Clueless: Headphones-wearing man walks into side of moving train - NYPOST.com

more

Pedestrians walking into danger | Orange County Motor Vehicle Accidents Attorney Blog

I have to agree Headphones have changed the world some good and some bad

The Truth Is Out There

Ah yes, turn up the volume indiscriminately and blame the headphones for the result. I've heard that before. The same can be said for loudspeakers & concerts. Using a bit of common sense whether listening via headphones, speakers, or live music is always a good idea. Paying attention to where one is walking is also a good plan. FWIW I'm sure I have some hearing loss from all the concerts I've been to and don't regret a moment of it for all the fun I had.

I liked this last part of the article:

SOUND AND WORK

We still haven't answered the first question I posed: If headphones are so bad for productivity, why do so many people work with headphones?

It's not just that headphones carve privacy out of public spaces. It is also that music causes us to relax and reflect and pause. The outcome of relaxation, reflection, and pausing won't be captured in minute-to-minute productivity metrics. In moments of extreme focus, our attention beams outward, toward the problem, rather than inward, toward the insights."When our minds are at ease -- when those alpha waves are rippling through the brain -- we're more likely to direct the spotlight of attention inward," Jonah Lehrer wrote in Imagine. "The answers have been there all along. We just weren't listening."

Ah yes, turn up the volume indiscriminately and blame the headphones for the result. I've heard that before. The same can be said for loudspeakers & concerts. Using a bit of common sense whether listening via headphones, speakers, or live music is always a good idea. Paying attention to where one is walking is also a good plan. FWIW I'm sure I have some hearing loss from all the concerts I've been to and don't regret a moment of it for all the fun I had.

SOUND AND WORK

We still haven't answered the first question I posed: If headphones are so bad for productivity, why do so many people work with headphones?

It's not just that headphones carve privacy out of public spaces. It is also that music causes us to relax and reflect and pause. The outcome of relaxation, reflection, and pausing won't be captured in minute-to-minute productivity metrics. In moments of extreme focus, our attention beams outward, toward the problem, rather than inward, toward the insights."When our minds are at ease -- when those alpha waves are rippling through the brain -- we're more likely to direct the spotlight of attention inward," Jonah Lehrer wrote in Imagine. "The answers have been there all along. We just weren't listening."

So Melvin if I get what your saying turning up the volume WILL not hurt your hearing ? just wondering

The Truth Is Out There

SOUND AND WORK

"When our minds are at ease -- when those alpha waves are rippling through the brain -- we're more likely to direct the spotlight of attention inward," Jonah Lehrer wrote in Imagine. "The answers have been there all along. We just weren't listening."

Interesting selection by Derek Thompson of person to quote. You know that Lehrer's had a teensy problem with Imagine, i.e., admitting to making s**t up, right?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Major media lies about everything, either directly or by omission. In this case by omission. They aren't telling you that kids turn the volume up because so many of their fashionable headphones have a choppy (not flat) frequency response with suckouts and extremely rolled off highs, increased bass, etc. So the very simple answer is, they crank up the volume so they can hear the details better. It's not even deliberate so much as instinctual - they just want what anyone with a high fidelity headphone gets, but they have no words to tell you that because they've been kept ignorant of "technical" things like frequency response by the corporate media.

So Melvin if I get what your saying turning up the volume WILL not hurt your hearing ? just wondering

No, of course it will .. my point was about using some common sense is all.

Interesting selection by Derek Thompson of person to quote. You know that Lehrer's had a teensy problem with Imagine, i.e., admitting to making s**t up, right?

Ahhh I knew that name rang a bell! Thanks Jud.