IGNORED

XLD - Bit Perfect - iTunes settings.

Hi

Based on what I have found on this site, I have adjusted the settings of the software I am running on my Macbook Pro 13' model summer 2012. I am planning on using XLD to rip CD's and playback via Bit Perfect / iTunes. For now, all music will be stored on the local hard drive of my Macbook. I am using an optical toslink/SPDIF connection between my MacBook and my BelCanto DAC (C5i).

I am looking for feedback on the settings I made in XLD and what settings I should change in iTunes, although I guess that the iTunes settings do not really matter anymore since I am using Bit Perfect. For Bit Perfect, I simply followed the recommended settings highlighted in the manual. You can find the manual on :BitPerfect: Manual

You can find screenshots of my XLD settings below. As per the RIP strategy published on this site, I am ripping to FLAC for archiving and AIIF for playback.

XLD Prefernces Batch.png

I am looking forward to your feedback and suggestions.

Once I have your feedback, I will start ripping my CD's

TrappistMonk

XLD Preferences CD RIP.png

XLD Preferences CDDB.png

XLD Preferences General.png

XLD Preferences General Multiple Formats.png

XLD Preferences Metadata.png

Trappistmonk

Macbook Pro (summer '12) - iTunes - $4 optical cable - Bel Canto C5i - Zu Audio Libtec - Joseph Audio RM22XL

Hi,

I did exactly what you plan on doing...then I found HD tracks and there is a lot of 24/96 ripped vinyl out there too...its all in FLAC.

There are some software options that will work with iTunes that will play FLAC, also if at some point you end up using Windows FLAC is supported well there too...

Just my 2 cents.

BattleScarze,

More is only better when less is no good!

Hi,

I did exactly what you plan on doing...then I found HD tracks and there is a lot of 24/96 ripped vinyl out there too...its all in FLAC.

There are some software options that will work with iTunes that will play FLAC, also if at some point you end up using Windows FLAC is supported well there too...

Just my 2 cents.

I am ripping to Flac and AIFF, so I can always do both, also converting from one format to another is no issue.

Any suggestions on the settings? On the format side, my mind is made up

Trappistmonk

Macbook Pro (summer '12) - iTunes - $4 optical cable - Bel Canto C5i - Zu Audio Libtec - Joseph Audio RM22XL

Any suggestions on the settings? On the format side, my mind is made up

For "Save Cue Sheet," I'd go with "Only when saving as a single image fie," unless you have some reason to do otherwise. IOW, it's hard to see why you'd need a cue sheet for an individual track.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

For myself under CD Rip and Test Before Copy I have checked Only If CD Is Not In AccurateRip Database. My feeling is that it will compare accuracy against those already in the database then it is not necessary to do a test first. Having Always checked is going to double the time it takes you to rip every CD in your collection.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa
For "Save Cue Sheet," I'd go with "Only when saving as a single image fie," unless you have some reason to do otherwise. IOW, it's hard to see why you'd need a cue sheet for an individual track.

--David

Thanks David, you are absolutely right. I copied it blindly from another site, but a simple google search brought me to the following link Cue sheet (computing) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia which explains what a cue sheet does.

Trappistmonk

For myself under CD Rip and Test Before Copy I have checked Only If CD Is Not In AccurateRip Database. My feeling is that it will compare accuracy against those already in the database then it is not necessary to do a test first. Having Always checked is going to double the time it takes you to rip every CD in your collection.

Thanks for the tip. Very logical explanation. Once I have collected all the feedback, I will make the changes and post screenshots again.

Any feedback on the FLAC settings like padding and oggs and compression level (why is there a compression level for FLAC)? I have no idea what this does.

Trappistmonk

• 2 weeks later...

I was working happily with these settings, ripping all my CD's on my hard drive. All went well, iTunes picked up on it, grouped all songs in an album ... until 3 hours ago. Now the songs appear as separate albums in iTunes instead of being grouped in the album. I did not change my XLD settings and already deleted and reimported my music into a new library. Any ideas as to what might be the issue?

Trappistmonk

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Hi TrappistMonk,

you use FLAC in iTunes, which software has proven to open iTunes to FLAC?

Did you compare the FLAC-data-size "normal compression" to "without compression"?

Some believe FLAC without compression would have sonic benefits...

Itunes in and of itself does not support FLAC files. You must use a third party playback software in conjunction with iTunes (which then becomes simply the library manager) to use FLAC files.

Frank Zappa
Any recommendation for a third party playback software...?

Amarra, Pure Music and Audivrana work on Macs. I am not as familiar with Windows OS softwares but I think dbPoweramp and jriver provide FLAC support.

Frank Zappa

I use Mac.. I have purchased all of them.. Audirvana+, Amarra, Fidelia and Pure Music.. Amarra sound great..Audirvana+ have very much match the sound quality of Amarra. Amarra is the most buggy software that i have used in years...

I should get my money back from them! But, try for yourself . Pure Music sound sweet I just don't like the interface..(ugly) can this people hire a designer!

just my opinion..

Just for music:Mac Mini 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5 60GB SSD, 16GB RAM (Mid 2011) OS X El Capitan 10.11.3 > WD NAS 6TB > Audirvana+>Roon Server > HQPlayer >iPad for Roon Remote> Teac UD-503 DAC > Audio Quest Cinnamon USB cable > Cambridge Audio Azur 840C > Cambridge Audio Azur 840A > Polk LSi 15 > DIY Speaker Cables.

Amarra, Pure Music and Audivrana work on Macs. I am not as familiar with Windows OS softwares but I think dbPoweramp and jriver provide FLAC support.

Thank you!

Means, in addition to XLD there is no need for any software to make iTunes (MAC 10.8) adapt. FLAC.

Just for playing the FLAC files, additional software is required, eg Pure Music.

I use Mac.. I have purchased all of them.. Audirvana+, Amarra, Fidelia and Pure Music.. Amarra sound great..Audirvana+ have very much match the sound quality of Amarra. Amarra is the most buggy software that i have used in years...

I should get my money back from them! But, try for yourself . Pure Music sound sweet I just don't like the interface..(ugly) can this people hire a designer!

just my opinion..

Thanks!

So I am going to start with Audirvana+...

you have a PM

Just for music:Mac Mini 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5 60GB SSD, 16GB RAM (Mid 2011) OS X El Capitan 10.11.3 > WD NAS 6TB > Audirvana+>Roon Server > HQPlayer >iPad for Roon Remote> Teac UD-503 DAC > Audio Quest Cinnamon USB cable > Cambridge Audio Azur 840C > Cambridge Audio Azur 840A > Polk LSi 15 > DIY Speaker Cables.

Hi there,

Do you have any suggestions for how to sort out the file formatting section so that when you rip to two formats i.e. FLAC and AIFF that it creates a foler for FLAC, then artist/album etc, and a folder for AIFF and creates a corresponding artist/album folder etc.

I can't get my head around all these sumbols %f (y/%) etc..

Any help much appreciated

Hi Xelor

No, I do not use FLAC in iTunes as it is not supported by iTunes. As you can see from my settings, I rip to both AIIF and FLAC format. I use AIIF for playback and FLAC for archiving as recommended in Ripping Strategy document published on this site: Computer Audiophile - Computer Audiophile CD Ripping Strategy and Methodology

Trappistmonk

Just iTunes and BitPerfect and I am happy! I have not tried anything else, but Bitperfect works well for me without having to worry about any other music player. My collection auto-syncs with an iPod and iPhone in AAC format as well, so iTunes was the logical choice. With BitPerfect installed, it has become a brainless operation to play music ... and that is what I wanted: create a setup I like and forget about it so I can just listen to the music in a setup that suits my needs, sounds great and is easy to operate.

Trappistmonk

you use FLAC in iTunes, which software has proven to open iTunes to FLAC?

Hi Xelor

No, I do not use FLAC in iTunes as it is not supported by iTunes. As you can see from my settings, I rip to both AIIF and FLAC format. I use AIIF for playback and FLAC for archiving as recommended in Ripping Strategy document published on this site: Computer Audiophile - Computer Audiophile CD Ripping Strategy and Methodology

I rip to FLAC uncompressed for archiving, not for playback.

Trappistmonk

Hi there,

I can't get my head around all these sumbols %f (y/%) etc..

I had the same issue and google led me to this page RipRight: CD Ripper, Done Right

I would also recommend searching the forums on this site and read from other's experiences on why they like a certain format.

The format I like is documented in my screenshots.

Trappistmonk

I had the same issue and google led me to this page RipRight: CD Ripper, Done Right

I would also recommend searching the forums on this site and read from other's experiences on why they like a certain format.

The format I like is documented in my screenshots.

Hi!

Thanks for your response.

Your file format ´string´is almost what i´m after. But id like to have a root folder e.g. XLD rips, then two new folders one called AIFF, the other called FLAC, and then a copy of the rip put in the appropriate folder.

I believe your string would put two copies in the root folder XLD rips, one called ´name of album (FLAC), the other called ´name of album (AIFF).

Any idea ho i might be able to achieve what i´m after?

Thanks again for your help..