IGNORED

Desktop speakers for Audiogalaxy Dragonfly

Not sure where to post this one, since there's already a thread on the Dragonfly (albeit devoted to very different issues) and a whole speaker subforum, but I will post here and the Mod can move this if I've done badly. On the very same day that my Dragonfly arrived, I found that my well-used Monitor i-Deck had died. One reason that I purchased the Dragonfly is that the i-Deck is a decent speaker system and its only computer-capable input is a minijack, so I could retain my existing mini-to-mini cabling. Unfortunately, I am going to have to come up with a Plan B.

I have a set of NHT M-00's on another system and would be pleased to try them with the Dragonfly. However, their only relevant inputs are RCAs, one to each channel, and I haven't seen a mini-to-RCA cable that would work with speakers that are four or so feet apart. That means that I need a decent desktop speaker that has a mini input or one that accepts RCA's on one of the speakers and then cables the other speaker to use as a slave. (I don't have room for a subwoofer in this particular application, since the desk in question is built into an alcove and the only open space beneath the desk now houses my printer.)

Most of the desktop speakers that I've looked at in the under $500 range seemingly have their own DACs built-in and thus want a USB connection or require their own RCA cable. I know the Audioengines will take a single mini into one of the speakers and then cable to the other speaker, so they would work. However, there seemingly is less and less love for the Audioengine product line these days than there was in the past.

Possible alternatives include units from B&W, Swan, Focal, and M-Audio, but I can't tell which of them fits my configuration requirements. (Having just bought the Dragonfly, I would prefer not to pay for a built-in DAC, since I don't really need two of them.) I liked the sound of the Monitor i-Deck a great deal, so I'd favor that kind of sound again. (The only word that comes to mind about it is "effortless.") I'll be using an old desktop computer running XP with J-River, mostly listening to jazz, with some classical and pop thrown in as well, mostly FLAC but plenty of MP3/4, as well. Bass response is a lot less important than imaging and "undigital" sound, since I sometimes listen for hours on end.

Thanks for any input you can provide.

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

Can't see how to edit this so I will just reply to myself: First, I neglected to ask specifically for comments from anyone who actually has used the Dragonfly as a DAC with a desktop speaker system, and, second, forgot to add that other candidates include new desktops from Emotivea (whose preamp I use in a small den system) and Serene Audio.

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

I know the Audioengines will take a single mini into one of the speakers and then cable to the other speaker, so they would work. However, there seemingly is less and less love for the Audioengine product line these days than there was in the past.

Don't know where you got that from. After reading here and elsewhere recently purchased A2's and cann't get over how good they sound.

Thanks, gents. I originally assumed I'd just go with Audioengines since I figured they'd work well due to their mini-input and master-slave configuration. However, googling of info about them brings up unflattering references to the A2s in tests of other speakers. Even some owners have commented on web forums about wanting to upgrade them due to lack of high end extension (lack of low end extension is a given for a desktop without a sub) and clarity (at least a few commenters used the term "muddiness). Unfortunately, it's not as though you actually can comparison test speakers anywhere these days, so I guess we have to rely on this sort of information from the internet as the basis for a buying decision. I therefore would at least like to know if other Dragonfly owners have had success with alternatives, as well.

I use the A2's with my desktop system but if I were purchase desktop speakers today I would probably go with the Airmotiv 4's. I use the Airmotiv 6's in my main system and just love them.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

Kuma, thanks. Does your desktop system use RCAs or do you run the Airmotivs off a mini output? I ask because the only mini-to-RCA cables I see are split at the RCA end, to insert into an L and an R that are right next to one another. My speakers will be about three feet apart and I haven't found a mini-to-RCA that will reach destinations that far apart.

My vote would be the new Focal XS Book speakers (the XS 2.1 has a captive DAC so that is a "no go" for you), or, go with the Audioengine A5's. The A2's are very nice for the price, but since your budget allows, the A5's are really a better choice. The A5's are a big step up in performance from the A2's- and this is not a dig against the A2's as I feel they are still the best bang for the buck at that price level. Again though, you really should hear the Focal XS Book's.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

Kuma, thanks. Does your desktop system use RCAs or do you run the Airmotivs off a mini output? I ask because the only mini-to-RCA cables I see are split at the RCA end, to insert into an L and an R that are right next to one another. My speakers will be about three feet apart and I haven't found a mini-to-RCA that will reach destinations that far apart.

I have them connected to the RCA output jacks of Nuforce DAC.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

Since you already own the NHT speakers, you might try them first.

You could use a 3.5mm stereo plug to 2 X RCA adapter like this:

For only $0.30 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 3.5mm Stereo Plug to 2 RCA Jack Splitter Adaptor - Gold Plated (Y type) | 3.5mm <--> RCA Adapters

with 2 cables with RCA connectors on each end.

Bill

P.S. I've used Audioengine A5s for about 5 years and like them very well for near field use.

Even some owners have commented on web forums about wanting to upgrade them due to lack of high end extension (lack of low end extension is a given for a desktop without a sub) and clarity (at least a few commenters used the term "muddiness).

I can only repeat that non of the above was my experience. No lack of high end extension, no muddiness, low end for their size doesn't distract from the sound. But then I play lossless 16 & 24 bit not mpeg3's that I suspect might colour other forum posts. $A200 speakers that sound this good in my opinion are a steal.

Thanks, guys. Having been fed a steady diet of "cables make a difference" over the years, I thought that I might lose some of the benefits of whatever cabling I choose if do buy an adaptor of some sort. (Chain only as strong as its weakest link sorta thing....) However, if that's the only way to get RCA's out to self-powered speakers, I guess I can go that route. I'll try the M00's first, just to see if the Dragonfly actually is not DOA, but, since I have an application for them on another desk already, I'll be looking at the stuff recommended here. I appreciate the input.