IGNORED

PC Speaker Recommendation for Classical Music Listening on budget

Hi All,

I am looking for a good pair of speakers for my laptop under 150 USD. I mainly listen to classical music (not operatic) and folk, pop, rock etc at times. I am on a budget as I am a student. I could throw in a sound card if it is a long term investment (i.e. I can use it on another laptop when I buy one) if that is going to significantly improve the sound quality at this price level.

I would greatly appreciate if you provided your recommendations and the rationale that your followed in making it. My knowledge of acoustics is fairly limited so I would appreciate if you explained things to me in simpler terms or with definitions.

Thanks you kindly for your time and input.

Have you thought about headphones instead? You are most likely to get more bang for your buck with headphones. Although you have to be careful and make sure your laptop headphone jack can drive the headphone you choose reasonably well.

If you're buying powered speakers, you are essentially buying amplifiers and speakers at the same time so $150 is not a lot of money. Some of my friends rave about Audioengine A2 which cost $199 but I haven't heard it myself so I can't really comment.

Have you thought about headphones instead? You are most likely to get more bang for your buck with headphones. Although you have to be careful and make sure your laptop headphone jack can drive the headphone you choose reasonably well.

If you're buying powered speakers, you are essentially buying amplifiers and speakers at the same time so $150 is not a lot of money. Some of my friends rave about Audioengine A2 which cost $199 but I haven't heard it myself so I can't really comment.

Headphones are not an option for me. I read up on Audioengine A2. They seem to be a nice pair of speakers. Are they adequate by themselves or do I need the DAC too?

Headphones are not an option for me. I read up on Audioengine A2. They are powered speaker, does that mean they do not need any external power supply? Actually I do not mind if speakers need external power supply. These speakers are going to be stationary while I may move around my laptop.

All speakers need power and it is unlikely your laptop headphone jack will ever provide enough power to drive any speaker. So you either have to buy an amplifier and speakers so that the amplifier will drive the speakers. Alternatively, in your budget range, most people will buy what is known as powered speakers. Most computer speakers, e.g. Logitech, Altec Lansing, Creative Labs, Insignia, are actually powered speakers. They just don't call them by the proper name to avoid confusing the consumers. So the amplifier is built into the speakers so you don't need to buy a separate amplifier for the speakers. Bottom line is, you will need to plug the Audioengine into a power plug in the wall in order to get sound, just as you would with every set of computer speakers.