IGNORED

ASUS HDAV 1.3 Upgrade Recommendations for Audiophile System

Hello,

I've assembled an audiophile sound system of the following, but I think my computer is now the weak link:

- FLAC files on computer (Windows 7, ASUS HDAV 1.3 using SPDIF or RCA outputs)

- Krell S1000 preamp (XLR to amps)

- Mark Levinson 436 monoblocks

- Thiel CS-2.4 speakers

My problem is that I don't trust my computer and what its doing to the signal. I attempted a comparison test last night using the RCA outputs on the HDAV 1.3 vs the SPDIF output to the Krell preamp, and didn't really notice much of a difference.

I would like to upgrade my soundcard to change my computer into an audiophile source, can anyone help me out with some recommendations? I'm thinking of trying a pro-level RME card, but I'm not sure if that's the right choice.

Thanks,

Chris

SoCal HiFi

A USB to SPDIF converter is probably now a better option than RME card. Chris recently reviewed the Musical Fidelity V-Link 192 which may be a good starting point.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Thanks for the reply. So that would still be using the DACs in my Krell preamp. Can someone explain why the external USB/spdif converter would be better than using the spdif output on my ASUS. I just configured it to use ASIO, so I shoud be bypassing all of the windows processing, right?

I'm still having trouble underdtanding the differences in digital processing and what factors matter, such as clocks and jitter.

Thanks,

Chris

For 2 channel music;

1.) Use J River media player, better than Win 7. $50.00

2.) Replace Asus HDAV 1.3 with ASUS Xonar ST ( not the STX! ) with S/pdif coax only as output. This is what I use, and it performs very well. $209.00. You will be using the Asus ST as an exceptional S/pdif bridge.

2a.) Or, as Audio-ELF recommends, try the V Link which has just been reviewed in the C.A.S.H. list. $399

3.) Eliminate the Krell except for use with video and multi channel processing. Volume control is done with internal volume control with J River, a one layered control system.

4.) Purchase stand alone Dac $479. I use the Peachtree Dacit (see review in C.A.S.H.) Whatever Dac you purchase, it must have a S/pdif coax input.

5.) Output, good RCA cables to amp. Check compatibility of Output from Dac with monoblocks.

Total cost with Asus Xonar ST config.= $739

" " " V Link " = $929

I'm sure you will get other recommendations, good luck... :0)

PC (J River-Jplay) > USB > Mytek 192 - DSD > XLR > Adcom GFP-750 Pre > XLR > Emotiva XPA-5 > Snell C/V's (bi-amped) / Klipsch Sub <100 Hz