IGNORED

Official OS X Mountain Lion Thread

Audirvana Plus Direct Mode and Integer Mode roar nicely in the mountain :)

MBP 15"/Mac Mini, Audirvana Plus, Audioquest Diamond USB, AMR DP-777, exD DSD DAC (for DSD), Pioneer N-70AE, Audioquest Niagara balanced/Viard Audio Design Silver HD, Accuphase E-560, Cabasse Sumatra MT420

Audirvana Plus Direct Mode and Integer Mode roar nicely in the mountain :)

Hi Damien,

Good to know A+ works with Mountain Lion. Now my real question is does ML offer any sonic advantage over Lion? I'm running a mini as a dedicated music server with A+ being the only user selected program running 99.9 percent of the time. Would I gain any perfomance advantage from A+ by upgrading from Lion to Mountain Lion?

Mac Mini, Audirvana Plus, Metrum Hex NOS DAC w/Upgraded USB Module-2, UpTone Regen Amber, Pass Labs INT-30A Amplifier, B&W 802 Diamond Speakers, Shotgun Bi-wire Kimber 4TC Cables. Headphone setup: Burson Soloist Amp, Audeze LCD-3 Headphones.

I'll let you know soon, when ML comes out - unless you get curious and run it for yourself first.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

• 4 weeks later...
I'm jumping in tomorrow, looking forward to see/hear what's new.

Am I correct in assuming that A+ and my DAC2 will be improved on ML?

Improved? I don't know. At the moment I am just hoping it works with A+ and my DAC.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa

“We’re thrilled with record sales of 17 million iPads in the June quarter,” said Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO. “We’ve also just updated the entire MacBook line, will release Mountain Lion tomorrow and will be launching iOS 6 this Fall. We are also really looking forward to the amazing new products we’ve got in the pipeline.”

OS X Mountain Lion officially comes out Wednesday July 25, 2012. This thread is for all the first impressions, issues, cool items, etc... Please let everyone know what works, what doesn't work, what kind of works :~)

We can branch to other specific Mountain Lion thread to work on a specific issue or two if needed.

osxml.png

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

My first impressions have been mostly positive. I think Mtn Lion will be to Lion what Snow Leopard was to Leopard. However, unlike 10.6, there are some new features. The one that I have been the most impressed with is Airplay Mirroring. If you have an Apple TV 2 or 3, with very little fuss, you can mirror it on your TV, and it takes care of the audio output as well. So, for example, I can play music via Audirvana on my laptop wirelessly through my ATV2. If only it were bit perfect. But for what it is, it works great. You can also play any video in your web browser, for example, and mirror it on the TV. The quality is very high, and the lag time quite low.

Apple has discontinued support for X11, so we are back to where we were on that front before the release of 10.3. Fortunately the Xquartz project has made it available. I don't know if anyone here ever uses X11, but the transition was mercifully uneventful.

I haven't seen 10.8 break anything from 10.7. If you upgrade directly from 10.6, I would expect all the surprises that 10.7 introduced.

One major irritation has been fixed: We now have the Save As functionality restored (although they call it Duplicate). I've only put this on one machine, and I haven't done any serious listening, but there is certainly nothing wrong with the audio that leaps out at me. I'll update my unused 10.7 partition on my mac mini tomorrow, when the official version comes out, but I am going to keep my 10.6.8 partition for the near future at least.

My MacBook Pro won't support AirPlay Mirroring unfortunately.

[h=2]AirPlay Mirroring[/h]Requires a second-generation Apple TV or later. Supports the following Mac models:

• iMac (Mid 2011 or newer)
  • Mac mini (Mid 2011 or newer)
  • MacBook Air (Mid 2011 or newer)
  • MacBook Pro (Early 2011 or newer)

This one annoys me big time. My late 2009 iMac does't really feel old, but for Apple it apparently is already outdated... I suppose I'll be buying AirParrot eventually instead.

For the rest, I suppose I'll fork out the $20 or whatever it's going to be over here, but honestly, there's not a lot of features I'm interested in. Facebook support, whoa great. More ICloud, well I have too many tracks for iTunes match, so don't really care a lot either. Gamecenter, what the h...

But at least we all finally get proper Chinese support for our Mac. Isn't that what we've all been waiting for?

Well, backup disk just needs to be updated (carbon copy cloner) one last time, complete one last time machine backup and then install onto my SSD. Have tomorrow mornging to check.

Will be interesting to see how it goes.

Source: 1.0TB OWC Mercury Elite Pro < FW800> Mac Mini (2009 / 10.8.3)

1.0TB WD MY PASSPORT Mac Mini (2009 / 10.8.3)

Players (Hardware): MacBook Pro 13 (2011, 10.8.3 8 gig), ATV2

Amp / DAC: Nuforce DDA-100

Speakers: ELAC 201

Software: iTunes & BitPerfect / Audirvana Free / Audirvana Plus / MPD 0.16.6

Connectivity: subject to random changes

Apple has discontinued support for X11, so we are back to where we were on that front before the release of 10.3. Fortunately the Xquartz project has made it available. I don't know if anyone here ever uses X11, but the transition was mercifully uneventful.

Am using latest Xquatrz - for work, so is it painless ?? i.e don't need to do "nuthing" after upgrading ?????

Source: 1.0TB OWC Mercury Elite Pro < FW800> Mac Mini (2009 / 10.8.3)

1.0TB WD MY PASSPORT Mac Mini (2009 / 10.8.3)

Players (Hardware): MacBook Pro 13 (2011, 10.8.3 8 gig), ATV2

Amp / DAC: Nuforce DDA-100

Speakers: ELAC 201

Software: iTunes & BitPerfect / Audirvana Free / Audirvana Plus / MPD 0.16.6

Connectivity: subject to random changes

Downloading right now.

downloading as well. brave souls, please report if it breaks Pure Music or not. Thanks.

ws

discless since 2005

Power: Equitech 5WQ-E | Primary Source: Mac Mini with Pure Music | USB Interface: Soulution 590 | Amps: Dual Devialet D-Premier in Dual Mono mode | Subwoofer: Wilson Benesch Torus + Torus Amp + DSPeaker Anti-Mode 2.0 Dual Core | Speakers: Magico Q1

Semi-Retired Equipment: AudioMachina Maestro S | Aurender S10 | Transporter | TacT 2.2XP | BADA USB | BADA Series 2