IGNORED

Experience with Cambridge DAC Magic Plus DM+

Dear fellow music lovers, I think it's about time to start a Cambridge DAC Magic Plus, also called DM+, thread.

I have one of them, and I can see when I search there are many others who also have it.

Why not combine our knowledge of this little gem in one simple thread...

-------------

Let me start off with a little test I conducted just now, I have listened to a 1.5 meter QED Profile Precision USB cable up against my "no-name" 1.5m gold-plated cheap cable - both on my Cambridge DAC using my Denon AH-A100 headphones.

I must say, there were no difference at all! Can't recommend the QED (wich is by the way funny as it is no were to be found on their website, might reflect the quality)

Last year I did the same with a AQVOX high-end USB cable and that made a very noticeable difference, but was only for testing so had to return it.

Now when I was at it anyway, I listened to the difference on iTunes and iTunes+Amarra Hifi and oh my, there is a huge differance - Amarra really cleared everything up and tightened my bass, gave me more in both ends of the signal.

------------

How are you using your DM+ and what discoveries have you made?

• 1 month later...
I am wondering the difference in the Dac Magic, the Dac Magic S and the Dac Magic Plus?

DacMagic was the original product's name, It had a "face lift" and is now called DacMagic Plus. Most notable difference is the enhanced USB input. It also has a headphone output. I never heard of a "S" model, maybe this refers to the finish? They are available in (B)lack and (S)ilver ...

DacMagic

DacMagic Plus

Primary ::= Nabla music server | Mutec MC-3+USB w/ Temex LPFRS-01 RB clock | WLM Gamma Reference DAC; Secondary ::= Nabla music server | WaveIO | PrismSound Lyra

Last year I did the same with a AQVOX high-end USB cable and that made a very noticeable difference, but was only for testing so had to return it.

Given the quite ok jitter rejection due to the asynchronous sample rate conversion, my personal guess here would be comb-filter effect or expectation bias.

I have not found any USB cable to make a repeatable, systematic difference while listening.

Save your money for better speakers - assuming you don't have a set of Wilsons or the like sitting around ;)

Cheers,

Peter

Home: Apple Macbook Pro 17" --Mini-Toslink--> Cambridge Audio DacMagic --XLR--> 2x Genelec 8020B

Work: Apple Macbook Pro 15" --USB--> Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 --1/4\"--> Superlux HD668B / 2x Genelec 6010A

DacMagic was the original product's name, It had a "face lift" and is now called DacMagic Plus. Most notable difference is the enhanced USB input. It also has a headphone output. I never heard of a "S" model, maybe this refers to the finish? They are available in (B)lack and (S)ilver ...

I think it's a bit disingenuous to call the DAC Magic Plus a "facelift" version of the earlier DAC Magic - my understanding is it is more a complete redesign.

The DAC Magic is now a discontinued model - the Cambridge Audio range consists if the DAC Magic Plus and DAC Magic 100 (a more basic offering).

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

In looking at the specs it appears the DM handles input sampling frequencies up to 92KHz, (only 48KHz with USB) while the DM+ handles input sampling freqs up to 192 KHz.

As well,the DM+ digital filter handles upsampling to 24-bit/384kHz, while the DM digital filter upsamples to 24bit 192kHz.

This appears to be better for DM+, but being a newbie at DACs, what is important about input upsampling?

Does it have to do with the quality of conversion of the bit rate of my music files?

I will be using USB input from my PC so the DM upsampling only to 48KHz may be a big deal.......

In looking at the specs it appears the DM handles input sampling frequencies up to 92KHz, (only 48KHz with USB) while the DM+ handles input sampling freqs up to 192 KHz.

The DAC Magic is also a model no longer produced by Cambridge Audio. The USB connection of the DM is very poor compared with the DM+ (and other more modern DACs) - the DM+ has what is called asynchronous USB connection allowing for much better quality connection from computer to DAC.

In addition the DM+ has a built in volume allowing easier direct connection to powered speakers or a power amp (rather than an integrated amp) and has an optional bluetooth connection which can be useful to connecting a phone for example.

As well,the DM+ digital filter handles upsampling to 24-bit/384kHz, while the DM digital filter upsamples to 24bit 192kHz.

This appears to be better for DM+, but being a newbie at DACs, what is important about input upsampling?

Does it have to do with the quality of conversion of the bit rate of my music files?

Upsampling is (at a basic level) just a method for increasing the sound quality.

I will be using USB input from my PC so the DM upsampling only to 48KHz may be a big deal.......

Given your intended use I would not recommend a DAC Magic. The DAC Magic Plus would be a much better choice. At lower cost there is also the DAC Magic 100 or from alternative manufacturers the Musical Fidelity V-DAC MkII is another good option.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a DacMagic Plus with which I was initially very disappointed. It's performance was much worse than my Benchmark DAC1 -- completely failing to come alive and with a very poor sound stage. It was harsh with a poor perceived frequency balance. I was using asynchronous USB from a battery powered notebook computer running Foobar 2000 with the Cambridge Audo driver. The DAC is connected via balanced outputs directly to my power amp. I thought something must be seriously wrong.

It took me quite awhile to figure out what was holding it back. As an experiment, I tried removing the ferrite-filter attached to the power cable coming from the switching power supply. Wah-Lah! The sound came to life, smoothed out, much sweeter and better frequency balance, plus the sound stage opened up. My power line is 120V 60Hz. To somewhat compensate for the removal of the ferrite filter, I twisted the power lead to make it into a twisted pair to help reject some EMI/RFI. My conjecture is that the ferrite-filter interferes with the correct operation of the switching power supply. I imagine the ferrite-filter was added-on after product design to help pass EMI/RFI interference tests. When I wrote Cambridge Audio about the power supply problem, a representative responded: "We have not experienced any significant issues with the DacMagic PSU but the bulk of our testing is done on 220v circuits so it is possible that there are issues to be reviewed on 110v."

With the ferrite-filter gone, I am hearing some music magic at times, but the system performance has been very inconsistent, with tremendous dependence on the quality of AC power in my house, and what's coming from the power company -- early morning usually providing best sound quality. Plus, for best sound I have to unplug my DVR, microwave, portable phone system, wireless computer network router, and desktop computer UPS. And, this is with the DacMagic Plus PSU being plugged into a PS Audio AC line filter, and having a separate noise filter plugged in parallel with the PSU, and all this is fed from it's own dedicated AC line with its own house circuit breaker. The power amp also has it's own separate dedicated line and circuit breaker. I may need to upgrade the power line coming to my house.

My DacMagic Plus PSU might be defective, but I'm suspicious that other owners and reviewers have been experiencing similar problems. Some of the descriptions of performance for those who have rejected and returned a DacMagic Plus, or have found it deficient, sound similar to my experience. I think Cambridge Audio has some troubleshooting to do.

If you have a DacMagic Plus, I strongly suggest you try removing the ferrite-filter. It's very easy to remove once you figure out how to unlock the clasp that holds it together. There are multiple loops of the cable inside the ferrite-filter that must be unwound. Acquiring or building an alternative PSU, maybe even a battery supplied PSU, might be a revelation for this unit.

I hope this helps,

OB Ron

I have heard from others that the PSU is a weak link. Since I just got mine, I will be was going to work on the PSU once I get my XP based computer to run ASIO utilizing the CA USB 2.0 driver. I am not much of an engineer so I need to keep it simple. Not sure what you mean by "turned it into a twisted pair". EZ to do?

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
I have the DACMagic 100; it was set to 192 sample rate; I looked up Amarra HiFi and downloaded the 2 week demo. Loaded up easily enough but the sample rate changed to 48 on the DAC and I can't change back to 192.

What gives?

Re: DacMagic 100:

supported sample rates:

USB: 44.1kHz, 48kHz, and 96kHz (24-bit/192kHz supported with downloaded USB driver and WASAPI, ASIO, or kernel streaming modes)

optical: 32kHz, 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz, and 192kHz

coaxial: 32kHz, 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz, and 192kHz

built-in driver for USB 1.0 connection (up to 24-bit/96kHz)

dedicated Cambridge Audio USB Audio 2.0 Windows driver for 24-bit/192kHz playback on a PC (free download available from Cambridge Audio website)

Mac OSX 10.5 or later supports 24-bit/192kHz USB output natively, so no dedicated driver is required

Does this information answer your concern about Amarra Hifi which resolves 192/24.

Best,

Richard

Mac OSX 10.5 or later supports 24-bit/192kHz USB output natively, so no dedicated driver is required

Does this information answer your concern about Amarra Hifi which resolves 192/24.

Best,

Richard

Richard,

Thank you for the response.

I'm running an iMac with 10.7.5. The DacMagic 100 is connected via USB (alas, no TosLink on this Mac). Before the Amarra HiFi download, the DacMagic had the 192 Sample rate indicator on. After Amarra, it dropped to 48. Is that the native sample rate in iTunes anyway and was the 192 indicator just incorrect or did the sample rate drop?

I'm not the techie type and these things are usually operator (me) error (or ineptitude)

Best,

Richard

Richard,

Thank you for the response.

I'm running an iMac with 10.7.5. The DacMagic 100 is connected via USB (alas, no TosLink on this Mac). Before the Amarra HiFi download, the DacMagic had the 192 Sample rate indicator on. After Amarra, it dropped to 48. Is that the native sample rate in iTunes anyway and was the 192 indicator just incorrect or did the sample rate drop?

I'm not the techie type and these things are usually operator (me) error (or ineptitude)

HiFi is 192/24 capable! Your Dac is 192/24 capable. Have you launched AMS and observed the Audio Midi output setting? What is triggering 48/24? If the track you're playing is 192 /24 HiFi will auto switch to that resolution where iTunes by itself does not auto switch. Wonder what the impediment is. Play the track.

Best,

Richard

What is AMS? The Audio Midi in the Amarra File drop down shows 44100 Hz.

Looked up the info on the individual iTunes tracks and it seems they are all 44.100 hz sample rate. Never looked that up before now. Is that the norm for downloaded music?

Can I upgrade to higher sample rate?

What is AMS? The Audio Midi in the Amarra File drop down shows 44100 Hz.

Looked up the info on the individual iTunes tracks and it seems they are all 44.100 hz sample rate. Never looked that up before now. Is that the norm for downloaded music?

Can I upgrade to higher sample rate?

Audio Midi Setup (when you click on the Utilities Folder in Applications Directory, you find the Audio Midi Setup icon where you can change settings etc. Zammos Amarra Hifi indicates the resolution of the file you are playing. If the file is 44.1/16 that will be indicated by Hifi, and, if the file has a resolution of 96/24, Amarra Hifi will indicate that. Hifi switches the sample rate automatically, whereas iTunes, alone, does not, meaning if you play a file at a different sample rate, iTunes will not adjust automatically, you must manually change the output.

There is no "norm" for downloaded music but there is a sample rate that the track is produced at which can vary depending on the resolution of the track when it was produced. Most software player programs automatically switch to the correct sample rate. iTunes does not. Hifi does. Hope this helps.

Best,

Richard

• 4 months later...

Hello,

I am really glad I read your post OB Ron! I removed the noise filter on the DC power cord and like you said, the DacMagic Plus comes alive!

I'm going to call my local Canadian dealer and tell them about this simple fix. I'm also planning on modified a super stable dedicated power supply for a headphone project that I never finished, It should be easy to change from +5V to +12V at a couple of amps.

Thanks,

Shaun

• 5 months later...

Has anyone run into playback problems with Their DM+ ????

I have a situation going on right now where I can only get the DAC to ouput the signal via the RCA outputs using Blue tooth input. I have a second output via the Toslink and in that path, there is no sound. Weird thing is that sometimes, when I pull the Toslink connection, the red signal light is not on. When I power the unit off/on, the red light is back. But still no signal is reaching the HiFi.

Anyway, what concerns me most is that ny computer is not recognizing the USB input. Computer playback is through regual desktop speakers. I tried changing out the USB cable but still nothing. I went backwards and swithed from USB 2.0 to USB 1.0 but the computer is still not seeing the DM+.

With my luck I have discovered this isse right before the holiday entertaining season. Anybody have some recomendations for me?