IGNORED

iTunes Error: An error occurred while contacting the radio tuning service. Check your Internet connection, or try again later.

Hi Guys - I have a weird problem with iTunes and the Apple Remote app for iOS. Here are the details.

Without an Internet connection I connect my iPhone directly to my MacBook Pro via an AdHoc computer to computer wireless network. I can connect just fine.

The problem: As soon as I launch the Remote app and connect to the iTunes library running on the MacBook Pro I receive the following message "An error occurred while contacting the radio tuning service. Check your Internet connection, or try again later." See the screenshot for a visual illustration.

Here is what I believe is happening: As soon as the Remote app connects to a library iTunes automatically attempts to connect to the Internet and retrieve updated information about the Internet radio stations and categories it offers. Users can see in the attachment iTunes says, "Contacting tuning service ... Refreshing Category List". Because there is no Internet connection this attempt fails and produces the error message several times over and over after the user clicks OK.

Here is what I've tried as a remedy:

Disable Radio from within Parental controls - Didn't help

Removed the Remote App and reinstalled - Didn't help

Forget all remotes within iTunes - Didn't help

These guys have the issue as well but some have been remedied by the above items. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3485705?start=0&tstart=0

I'd love some help from the resident experts. To reproduce the error create an AdHoc network with your Mac, join the AdHoc network with an iOS device. Connect to the iTunes library via the Remote App.

Thanks Guys!

screen.png

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

• 1 month later...

An old thread I know - but I have the same problem. Possible more of a pain for me as I have built my iTunes Library by using the "proxy" file capability of Audirvana Plus, and when this error occurs, it stops playback until I dismiss the error.

(Actually what I see is each track tries to play and moves onto the next track in iTunes "playing" window.)

No solution but just another person with same error :-)

Source: 1.0TB OWC Mercury Elite Pro < FW800> Mac Mini (2009 / 10.8.3)

1.0TB WD MY PASSPORT Mac Mini (2009 / 10.8.3)

Players (Hardware): MacBook Pro 13 (2011, 10.8.3 8 gig), ATV2

Amp / DAC: Nuforce DDA-100

Speakers: ELAC 201

Software: iTunes & BitPerfect / Audirvana Free / Audirvana Plus / MPD 0.16.6

Connectivity: subject to random changes

An old thread I know - but I have the same problem. Possible more of a pain for me as I have built my iTunes Library by using the "proxy" file capability of Audirvana Plus, and when this error occurs, it stops playback until I dismiss the error.

(Actually what I see is each track tries to play and moves onto the next track in iTunes "playing" window.)

No solution but just another person with same error :-)

Just to note - this error only happens when I first launch iTunes ... so usually over the weekend it only happens the once as my MacBook becomes full time audio player [sic].

Source: 1.0TB OWC Mercury Elite Pro < FW800> Mac Mini (2009 / 10.8.3)

1.0TB WD MY PASSPORT Mac Mini (2009 / 10.8.3)

Players (Hardware): MacBook Pro 13 (2011, 10.8.3 8 gig), ATV2

Amp / DAC: Nuforce DDA-100

Speakers: ELAC 201

Software: iTunes & BitPerfect / Audirvana Free / Audirvana Plus / MPD 0.16.6

Connectivity: subject to random changes

Hi Chris

I had the same issue exactly when I first updated to iTunes 10. None of the steps you have taken worked for me either. Interestingly, iTunes had of problems finding internet radio stations - this seemed to be a related (if not the same) issue.

The only solution I found was to uninstall & roll-back to iTunes 9. I tried the next update and iTunes just crashed everytime, but a day or two later another update caught all the problems as far as I was concerned and all was well. Although I am running '10 now, I did disable automatic updates after that. I am in no rush to trial '11...

I run my setup on a macmini 3.1, with A+ in integrated mode.

QNAP > MACMini 2015 > Audirvana+ > M2Tech Young DAC > Magnum MP250 Class A pre > Wonfor designed Single Ended Class A Monos > modified Triangle Antal ESW (Tellurium Q Black).

• 2 weeks later...

solved it, or at least disabled that annoying message

first off im using osx 10.6.8 and itunes 10.5

open finder, go to applications, right click on itunes, click show package contents

open contents,open resources, open English.lproj, scroll down to Localizable.strings and open it,

in the file scroll down to 154.001, right above that in green text it will say radio tuner strings, delete this whole section 154.001 - 154.010.

now when you open itunes and connect your ios remote, and it tries to contact the radio tuning service the message wont pop up and the text that says refreshing category list wont pop up either. however it beeps ( you can disable the beep sound in preferences, sound , and set alert volume as low as it goes)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi all,

I registered just to say THANK YOU SO MUCH Ernie.

I had exactly the same issue thath you so carefully described (which was driving me crazy) and after a lot of research I found this thread and your fix which works perfectly.

Thanks Ernie, again!!

Cheers,

Stefano.

solved it, or at least disabled that annoying message

first off im using osx 10.6.8 and itunes 10.5

open finder, go to applications, right click on itunes, click show package contents

open contents,open resources, open English.lproj, scroll down to Localizable.strings and open it,

in the file scroll down to 154.001, right above that in green text it will say radio tuner strings, delete this whole section 154.001 - 154.010.

now when you open itunes and connect your ios remote, and it tries to contact the radio tuning service the message wont pop up and the text that says refreshing category list wont pop up either. however it beeps ( you can disable the beep sound in preferences, sound , and set alert volume as low as it goes)