IGNORED

What type of speakers (tower, monitor, powered) do you use in your primary system?

What Type Of Speakers Do You Use In Your Main Home System  

78 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I am curious as to what type of speakers you use in your primary system. I currently use an excellent pair of Dynaudio Focus 220 MKII in my system but I am intrigued by the thought of powered speakers and simplifying the system even further. Do you use tower (floor standing) speakers, monitors (desktop or stand mount), powered or passive in your main listening system at home.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa

It seems like this happens in every poll. Why not this option why not that? Truthfully I did assume that many might have multiple systems and use multiple types of speakers and that is why I specified primary but I honestly didn’t considered that some/many might actually be using more than one type of speaker in their primary system swapping them out every few days or weeks. It wasn’t my intention to omit anyone or anything but the main point was tower vs monitor and passive versus active. I certainly didn’t think that “most people used (at least) two”. I apologize for he omissions.

Frank Zappa
Sorry, I was trying to make a mono vs. stereo joke.

I guess it bombed.

I wasn’t upset, just commenting. Besides I am a little slow on the uptake when I haven’t finished my first cup of coffee. It is still early morning here. And many times I do get and appreciate your humor.

Frank Zappa

Sorry to throw you another curve ball but I use wall mounted Gallo Stradas. Wall mount is not an option in the poll. I have stand mounted Gallos for the middle and rear speakers for 5.1 but that's mainly for movies plus the occasional SACD or DVDA. The wall mounts and Gallo TR3 subwoofer are the main speakers for music.

Esau

No option for panel speakers? I run Quads on stands when I use them, and the others are floor standing. Methinks my vote would just muddy the waters. Consider this a write in.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

Pair: noun, two identical, similar, or corresponding things that are matched for use together: just like your balls

Had a friend with three.

He's in government now.

Coincidence?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

My poll was based of course on a curiosity of what others might be using because I was considering a change. Of the 44 replies so far just under 10% use powered speakers. My consideration, and decision, is to move to a powered speaker system. That's why I have my Dynaudio Focus 220 MKII for sale in the classifieds. I am getting a pair of Dynaudio Focus 110A speakers mounted on Solid Tech speaker stands that will match my A/V rack. Every now and then I get the urge to simplify and downsize (physically) my system. I considered the Dynaudio Xeo wireless powered speaker system which eliminates both the power amp and the DAC but the fact that it is limited to 16/48 was a deal killer. I wanted to contine to use my DAC as a 'preamp' but also wanted to have additional inputs for flexibility and add the ability to support 24/192 on all inputs. I just put the new (newer) T+A DAC 8 in system. I try to be cautious in making quick judgements about how something sounds but over these few days I am pleased. Now I just need to add the powered speakers and we will see what we have.

Frank Zappa

P1020806.jpg

I'm using a pair of Dynaudio BM5A MKII active monitors on my desk in a near field setup and the sound quality is amazing. Treating the room and experimenting with placement took them to a whole new level. I think the simplicity of the system helps as well.

Bill

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

Mac Mini->Roon + Tidal->KEF LS50W

My poll was based of course on a curiosity of what others might be using because I was considering a change. Of the 44 replies so far just under 10% use powered speakers. My consideration, and decision, is to move to a powered speaker system. That's why I have my Dynaudio Focus 220 MKII for sale in the classifieds. I am getting a pair of Dynaudio Focus 110A speakers mounted on Solid Tech speaker stands that will match my A/V rack. Every now and then I get the urge to simplify and downsize (physically) my system. I considered the Dynaudio Xeo wireless powered speaker system which eliminates both the power amp and the DAC but the fact that it is limited to 16/48 was a deal killer. I wanted to contine to use my DAC as a 'preamp' but also wanted to have additional inputs for flexibility and add the ability to support 24/192 on all inputs. I just put the new (newer) T+A DAC 8 in system. I try to be cautious in making quick judgements about how something sounds but over these few days I am pleased. Now I just need to add the powered speakers and we will see what we have.

My problem/concern with powered speakers has to do with the on/off power function. I don't want to reach around the back of each speaker to power down everyday, OTOH, not sure it's wise to leave powered on continuously.

Have you listened to, or considered the Focal Solo6 BE? They're around the same price as the Dynaudio 110A.

I have seen but did not listen to the Focal Solo6. My local dealer has both. I have owned both Focal and Dynaudio and like both brands very much. I am getting a real good deal on the Dynaudio making them significantly less expensive that the Focal. I am picking them up on Monday but I should at least give them a listen.

Frank Zappa
I have seen but did not listen to the Focal Solo6. My local dealer has both. I have owned both Focal and Dynaudio and like both brands very much. I am getting a real good deal on the Dynaudio making them significantly less expensive that the Focal. I am picking them up on Monday but I should at least give them a listen.

I have never heard Focals Professional speakers, but my old pair of 1027Be's live at the cabin now and they are fabulous speakers.

No electron left behind.