IGNORED

Drugs

Which option(s) most closely matches your thoughts ...  

207 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Unlike many here, I was too young to participate in the hippy generation. However, what followed seemed like a main-stream co-optation of the recreational drug culture by the music industry. Music from groups like Pink Floyd and the Grateful Dead seemed almost designed for recreational hallucinogenic drug users.

It occurred to me recently that audiophiles who care enough about sound to worry one way or another about what their cables and electronics sound like in micro-detail might have pretty strong opinions, either negative or positive, about mixing music and drugs.

I also recognize the reason this is not discussed on a public forum.

So I thought an anonymous poll might be amusing...

Er, this is really anonymous, right?

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

Oh no, you left out the best choice on the poll:

I only use drugs under the direction of an audiophile Shaman. The traditional knowledge allows perception beyond the physical realm into the spirit realm beyond.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

On Being Stoned - Chapter 7 Take a look at this. Includes a graph for determining how stoned you are. Written by Charles Tart PhD.

And this:

The effect of alcohol on central auditory proc... [J Otolaryngol. 1980] - PubMed - NCBI

Moderate alcohol intoxication lowers discrimination ability of difficult to hear stimuli. While previous testing show marijuana significantly improved discrimination of speech.

Mr. Armstrong's opinion:

“It really puzzles me to see marijuana connected with narcotics… dope and all that crap. It’s a thousand times better than whiskey – its an assistant – a friend.”

-Louis Armstrong

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

The thing with drugs is that there is always a price to pay. Most of the decent ones flood your brain with serotonin. Your brain then expects the flood to continue, so it underproduces (the comedown). Its the old story of there being no such thing as a free lunch. There are a lot of people around though, who prefer to live with the peaks and troughs.

The thing with drugs is that there is always a price to pay.

Dude, I know. Compare the cost of a quality oz now with what it was in 1971.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Yeah, but the price of an ounce of interconnect or speaker cable has gone up even more than acapulco gold since 1971.

I mean in 1971 you could get a pretty big amount of cable for less than $10. Now a single meter pair can set you back $39,ooo or more.

I mean in 1971 you could get a pretty big amount of cable for less than $10. Now a single meter pair can set you back $39,ooo or more.

Not really to your point, but I think what we need is Monoprice for weed.

--David

Yeah man....monoweed....just order it over the internet for rock bottom prices and stonification guaranteed....yeah man.

I like it. :)

prufrock,

"The thing with drugs is that there is always a price to pay. Most of the decent ones flood your brain with serotonin. Your brain then expects the flood to continue, so it under produces (the comedown). Its the old story of there being no such thing as a free lunch. There are a lot of people around though, who prefer to live with the peaks and troughs."

This sounds a lot like one of your cable discussions.

"The thing with cables is that there is always a price to pay. Most of the decent ones flood your brain with serotonin. Your brain then expects the flood to continue, so it under produces (the comedown). Its the old story of there being no such thing as a free lunch. There are a lot of people around though, who prefer to live with the peaks and troughs."

I don't use drugs or Alcohol. But this is a good idea actually. Maybe I try some of those Valium 5 from my surgery with a bottle of vine so I can become more receptive to the Audio Voodoo and eventually hear the difference between my cheap blue jeans cable and my expensive Tara labs. I may do another demo with those Transparent Audio cables. Thanks for idea! :D

@Home: AIFF > LaCie Rikiki 2.5" USB3 > MBP 15" 8GB RAM / Audirvana Plus > ifi iUSBPower > Bel Canto mLink > Bel Canto e.One DAC2.5 > Wyred 4 SX-1000 > Wilson Audio Sophia II

@Work: ALAC > LaCie Rikiki 2.5" > DELL laptop > JDS LABS OBJECTIVEDAC (ODAC) > JDS LABS C421 > Sennheiser Momentum or Sennheiser HD650 or Sennheiser HD25

Floods your system with Serotonin, leading to the comedown, eh? Well that's my last family Thanksgiving.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Not that I ever inhaled or anything, but I seem to recall some columbian weed from my college days that made my old KLH portable record player sound every bit as good as my current system.

Or at least that's what I remember...

I propose a test. A: your current speakers rigged with lamp cord and a bong full of excellent weed. B: your current speakers rigged with $2000 cables and a diet coke.

Wonder which set up would win?

;0)

Cheers,

Bill

Mac Mini 2011, 60 gb SSD, 8gb ram; PureMusic & BitPerfect; Wavelength Audio Cosecant V3 DAC; Wireworld Silver Starlight usb interconnect; McIntosh C2200 preamp; pair of McIntosh MC252 SS amps run as monoblocks; vintage MC240 Tube amp and 50th Anniversary MC275 tube amps; Krell LAT-2\'s on Sound Anchors; JL Audio F112 subwoofer; Nirvana SX ltd interconnects and speaker cables and power cords; PS Audio P5

not that i ever inhaled or anything, but i seem to recall some columbian weed from my college days that made my old klh portable record player sound every bit as good as my current system.

Or at least that's what i remember...

I propose a test. A: Your current speakers rigged with lamp cord and a bong full of excellent weed. B: Your current speakers rigged with $2000 cables and a diet coke.

Wonder which set up would win?

;0)

hahaha

No electron left behind.

My response was 2 - alcohol only, but if this poll (or the interweb) was around during my undergrad days at UC Santa Cruz in the 70's it would be a completely different story. I think. There may be some memory impairment concerning those years.

W4S Music Server 2 and/or Windows 7 Box -> W4S DAC2 -> W4S STP-SE Preamp -> W4S ST-500 Amp ->Magnepan 1.7