IGNORED

Alternative iTunes Remote?

Katakis

I agree! I have scoured the net looking for an alternative to iTunes Remote. JRemote is faster, better featured, more stable etc. But... I can't live without Audirvana Plus, so have to live in iTunes purgatory...!

Roon / JRiver with Audiolense XO -> Chord Hugo TT2 -> Cyrus Mono x200 Signatures -> Audiovector Si3 Avantgarde Arretes

I agree! I have scoured the net looking for an alternative to iTunes Remote. JRemote is faster, better featured, more stable etc. But... I can't live without Audirvana Plus, so have to live in iTunes purgatory...!

I'm sorry, what remote are you talking about? If it is the remote app, it works fine with Audirvana+.

Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

This!

Come on developers, make a cool alternative app, become rich and famous! :-)

Oh, sorry I misunderstood what was being asked.

The protocol is just a binary HTTP protocol, so anyone can pretty well write what they like to it. Apple Remote.app is pretty darn good though, especially on an iPad. There is little incentive to replace it. Still... these might interest you a bit.

-Paul

DACP - tunesremote-se - Java based remote control for DACP-compatible music players such as Apple iTunes, MonkeyTunes for MediaMonkey, and Telescope for Songbird - Google Project Hosting

MAKE | TunesRemote – Apple iTunes remote for Android

Unofficial AirPlay Protocol Specification

Robert A. Heinlein

Thanks Paul, looks like the protocol is open enough to develop an app.

Using a iPad myself, the Apple remote was ahead of it's time when it was released, but since JRemote I missing some features like Lyrics or Artist Information. And as eternaloptimist pointed out, the performance could be better.

I'm sorry, what remote are you talking about? If it is the remote app, it works fine with Audirvana+. l

When I switch to another app on the iPad and return to the Remote app I'm not returned to where I had left it. In earlier versions it used to do a pretty good job of maintaining state. I really wish Apple would fix this.

Oddly, the Remote app does a better job of this when running on my iPhone. When this is launched, the currently playing song is displayed. And when I click the back arrow, I am taken to the currently playing playlist. I would be delighted if this same behavior were repeated on the iPad. It's surprising that it's not.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

Compared with JRemote, iTunes Remote:

Slower to connect to LAN.

Album artwork loading is slow and inconsistent. Where is pre-fetch? Why does the album artwork have to completely reload every time??

Primitive search. No ability to customise.

Occasionally freezes.

Roon / JRiver with Audiolense XO -> Chord Hugo TT2 -> Cyrus Mono x200 Signatures -> Audiovector Si3 Avantgarde Arretes

I'd certainly be very willing to pay for a better iTunes remote. Given that I have a lot of classical music, I mostly access my music with the iTunes column browser, with the logic composer - grouping (e.g. Symphony No 3), then artist (eg Karajan/Berliner). This works really well on the computer, but is nearly impossible to recreate on the iTunes remote.

Furthermore, given the size of my library, the remote app is often slow to respond. I'm just afraid that no external developer will spend time on this, given that a) it is a niche demand, and b) if you develop something nice there's always the risk that Apple just incorporates the best improvements into their next free update.

I'd really like to see a night mode. Often I like to listen with the lights off but I'm blinded by the screen on my iPhone (even with the brightness turned down). I'd like to get an iPad but I worried I'd burn out my eye balls. An option for white text on black background for all screens please!

Nvidia ION running JRiver 21 on Win 7

- USB to Firestone Audio Bravo USB to SPDIF Converter. Optical to miniDSP NanoDigi eq/crossover. SPDIF to 2 Cambridge Audio DacMagics. Analogue to Audio Refinement Pre-5 to 2 M&K V-75 powered subwoofers & Audio Refinement Multi-2 power amp to Focal Chorus 716s.

- Intel NUC on Win 10 as JRiver 21 DLNA renderer. USB to Breeze Audio DU-U8 USB to SPDIF converter. SPDIF to Anthem MRX-520. Mirage OMD-5: left, right & surrounds. Mirage OMD-C1: center. SVS-SB-2000: subwoofer.

- Raspberry Pi2 with HifiBerry Dac+Pro on Volumio DLNA renderer to Rega Mira 3 to Dali Zensor 1s.

- Raspberry Pi2 with HifiBerry Dac+Standard on Volumio DLNA renderer to NAD 312 to PSB Alphas.

I'd really like to see a night mode. Often I like to listen with the lights off but I'm blinded by the screen on my iPhone (even with the brightness turned down). I'd like to get an iPad but I worried I'd burn out my eye balls. An option for white text on black background for all screens please!

Not quite what you asked for, but have you turned off automatic brightness and then turned the brightness down? I can get mine to dim far enough that it does not sear my eyes... (grin)

-Paul

Robert A. Heinlein

I typically turn the brightness down and keep the auto-brightness turned off. It helps. My number one "tweak" is just to lay it face down on the couch.

Nvidia ION running JRiver 21 on Win 7

- USB to Firestone Audio Bravo USB to SPDIF Converter. Optical to miniDSP NanoDigi eq/crossover. SPDIF to 2 Cambridge Audio DacMagics. Analogue to Audio Refinement Pre-5 to 2 M&K V-75 powered subwoofers & Audio Refinement Multi-2 power amp to Focal Chorus 716s.

- Intel NUC on Win 10 as JRiver 21 DLNA renderer. USB to Breeze Audio DU-U8 USB to SPDIF converter. SPDIF to Anthem MRX-520. Mirage OMD-5: left, right & surrounds. Mirage OMD-C1: center. SVS-SB-2000: subwoofer.

- Raspberry Pi2 with HifiBerry Dac+Pro on Volumio DLNA renderer to Rega Mira 3 to Dali Zensor 1s.

- Raspberry Pi2 with HifiBerry Dac+Standard on Volumio DLNA renderer to NAD 312 to PSB Alphas.

If there only was something like JRemote for iTunes! One of the main reasons I am using JRiver is JRemote.

I second this! JRemote is fantastic. If only I weren't in love with Audirvana Plus....

• 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Not only is Jremote light years better than Remote, but since the iOS7 upgrade, screen rotation no longer works & it's unknown if it's a bug & if so, when it will be fixed, or if Apple intends to leave it as is etc.! Apple deigns not to communicate such things to their user base.

I would gladly pay for a Jremote-like remote for iTunes, especially now!

Reference: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5322942?start=60&tstart=0

-Mike

Not only is Jremote light years better than Remote, but since the iOS7 upgrade, screen rotation no longer works & it's unknown if it's a bug & if so, when it will be fixed, or if Apple intends to leave it as is etc.! Apple deigns not to communicate such things to their user base.

I would gladly pay for a Jremote-like remote for iTunes, especially now!

Reference: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5322942?start=60&tstart=0

Does anyone have experience with Rowmote Pro for Mac?

Dave

Yes, and it was horrible. I would not recommend it. If they offer a free trial, of course you should check it out and see, as YMMV, but I was not at all impressed and found it very awkward to work with when I tried it maybe two years back.

Agreed. Pile of pooh.

Audirvana Plus/Dirac Live - Weiss 202 - Lavardin IT-15 - Art Emotion Signatures.  DragonFly Red - Sennheiser HD600s & IE800s.

• 2 weeks later...
Agreed. Pile of pooh.

What's Christopher Robin's bear got to do with it...?

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.