IGNORED

Windows PC recommendations for Bel Canto C5i input

I was hoping to get some clues as to what to look for when buying a PC to connect to my Bel Canto C5i (built in DAC). Should I go for a PC with digital Audio out (S/PDIF) (which desktops have digital audio out?) or just use a USB connection?

The same PC would also be used for browsing the Web on my TV and watching ABC, NBC via the internet. I suppose this would require a HDMI connection as well.

Budget: Mac Mini price range.

Trappistmonk

Macbook Pro (summer '12) - iTunes - $4 optical cable - Bel Canto C5i - Zu Audio Libtec - Joseph Audio RM22XL

Why not just use a Mac Mini -loaded with Windows if that is your preference? ;) -Paul

Hi Paul, I actually thought about that option ;-)

I will not list what I like and don't like about the apple platform (iPod, iPad) that I currently use to avoid any pro/con Apple discussion as this is not of interest to me.

I am just looking for some advise on a standard off-the-shelf PC as I prefer that platform.

Trappistmonk

Macbook Pro (summer '12) - iTunes - $4 optical cable - Bel Canto C5i - Zu Audio Libtec - Joseph Audio RM22XL

A sub $600 Windows PC - there is so much junk out there that it is really hard to sort through. Perhaps one of the sub $500 laptops at Best Buy? Really, if you want a Windows machine for Music, about the only one I would feel comfortable recommending is the C.A.P.S. v2. But that is way above your budget at $1400. Below that are all the HPs and Leonovos and Acers and .... on and on.

They all have some good points, but they all have some bad points too.

I will interested to see what you eventually choose. :)

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

USB is probably a better choice, I would think. You could also look at using something like a Juli@ card in the PC, which is pretty decent.

If your heart is set on a DAC that only accepts optical input, a USB to S/PDIF converter maybe your best answer.

-Paul

Robert A. Heinlein

Hi Trappistmonk,

I have an inexpensive Acer Aspire laptop that I picked up at Costco for my everyday computing needs. It has HDMI output for connection to a TV as well as an SPDIF optical output that is shared with analog headphone out jack. I connect it to a DAC that I use for a headphone setup. With this setup, I prefer the optical over USB however, YMMV. I'm not necessarily recommending an Acer (mine has been excellent) but Costco is a good place to pick up a PC because they don't overwhelm you with a hundred models to choose from and their return policy is excellent. You should have no problem finding a laptop with at least an Intel i3 processor for under $500.00 that will meet the needs you have described.

Hope this helps,

Daren

Hi Paul,

My Bel Canto C5i has a DAC that accepts both USB and S/PDIF. For the moment I have my TV digital out going into it. My TV is DLNA capable, so I can access files on my (other) computer and stream from Pandora.

I am slow in the purchasing process, so I will look at the options for a while ;-)

Trappistmonk

Thanks Daren. It sure helps. How is the Acer from a fan noise perspective?

The fan is quiet if playing music but will rev up if playing video or any other processor intensive activity. Even with the fan running at full speed, it’s not really a distraction.

Like I said previously, I'm not necessarily recommending an Acer. If you're just looking for a standard of the shelf PC then Acer, Dell, HP, Lenovo etc. will do. The internal components in all these units are for the most part the same it's just a different name on the case. Head down to Best Buy and tell them you need a PC with HDMI and Toslink outputs and see which models they have on sale. Then it's just a matter of comparing USB vs Toslink with your Bel Canto and going with whats sounds best to you.

I also suggest a mac mini, with windows dual boot. Then, if you change your mind, you don't have to change computer. The mini design-wise goes well with the Bel Canto gear and also it has an optical out, a firewire out, USB out and thunderbolt out.

Just wanted to let you know, I have not made my purchase yet as the 4th of July weekend will bring without a doubt a lot of online specials, but the Dell Alienware X51 at $685 looks like a very powerful, smaller desktop that will have no issue with audio, and make downloading and playing video's a pleasant experience ... my mind is not made up yet, but it looks like a nice machine ... optical out, USB3, HDMI

Trappistmonk

• 1 month later...

Hello there

Since you were all very helpful with your advice, I thought I would update you with what I ended up buying. I switched sides and went for an apple product and I purchased a MacBook Pro 13,3 inch base model yesterday. The tax free weekend and the fact that I got a really good deal on it made me switch. I wanted to go for a laptop in the end and the noise level from most PC's scared me. The quieter PC's are business PC's and do not have a optical digital out ... so Mac it is.

Now, any suggestion on import settings for CD's, playback settings, how to deal with AIFF, how to link my macbook to my Samsung smart TV, sync the macbook with my iPad / iPad, which remote control app to use to have a keyboard and navigation for the macbook when connecting it to my TV and using it for streaming ... ?

Trappistmonk

how to link my macbook to my Samsung smart TV

I'm not a Mac person (even though I have one) but I believe that you will need to buy a mini display port to HDMI adapter such as a Moshi ($34.95) or Monoprice ($6.65) in order to connect the Mac to your TV via HDMI.

One thing to be aware of and this may not be the case with newer models but, my previous experience with these adapters is that they only support 2 channel audio. For multichannel, you may need to use the adapter/HDMI for video and use optical for audio.

Daren

Hi Daren

I have already ordered the mini display port, but I was wondering how to get this done in a wireless way. I found an app Serviio media server, but I could not get it to work. Anyway, I'll keep looking for something like that is it is outside of the audiophile area.

Trappistmonk

Hi Daren

I have already ordered the mini display port, but I was wondering how to get this done in a wireless way. I found an app Serviio media server, but I could not get it to work. Anyway, I'll keep looking for something like that is it is outside of the audiophile area.

You are wanting to play videos or just use the screen attached to a television? Either way, the "wireless" solution is to put a $99 Apple TV in the equation, connected to your television. You can then stream content to it from iTunes, for example when you want to play a Hi Def movie or television show, and you can (with Mountain Lion) mirror your desktop to the television as well. Works pretty darn well actually.

-Paul

Robert A. Heinlein

You are wanting to play videos or just use the screen attached to a television? Either way, the "wireless" solution is to put a $99 Apple TV in the equation, connected to your television. You can then stream content to it from iTunes, for example when you want to play a Hi Def movie or television show, and you can (with Mountain Lion) mirror your desktop to the television as well. Works pretty darn well actually.

-Paul

This still would not allow me to browse and watch content from fox.com on my TV, or would it?

Trappistmonk

I have found Twonky to work fairly well with my Samsung UN46D6500VF TV and Acer laptop.

I had problems with HD video buffering on my setup but YMMV.

But can I just mirror my display with this app? This is actually what I am looking for. There are plenty of apps that will allow me to stream/beam my Hard drive content to my TV, but I would like to mirror my screen so that anything displayed on my laptop becomes visible on my TV, wireless

Trappistmonk