IGNORED

AudioQuest DragonFly 24/96 Asynchronous USB DAC / Headphone Amp

Really looking forward to any comments on this device - very interesting, especially for those of us who travel frequently. Would love to have such a tiny output device *if high quality* for use on the road :)

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

Chris, can you confirm whether or not this device will work with an iPad via the Camera Connection Kit? I would imagine it would *not*, as it seems that any device that draws any amount of power thru the CCK is now disallowed in iOS :/ but haven't seen this tested / stated anywhere.

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

I just tried several different connect / disconnect methods and each time I receive the message about the DragonFly requiring too much power via the camera connection kit.

Thanks, Chris - too much to hope for, I suppose. So iPad users (I usually take my iPad with me instead of a full-blown laptop on business trips) are still stuck with those devices that charge via USB but actually run from internal batteries (the FiiO devices, others in that same category).

Are you sure of that Chris? Virtually every ad I see for it says that it is running Streamlength code.

-Paul

AudioQuest worked extensively with Gordon Rankin from Wavelength Audio to develop the DragonFly. The DAC does not contain StreamLength code but nonetheless is an async design from Gordon.

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

"DragonFly’s Streamlength™ Class 1 asynchronous USB code is licensed from Gordon Rankin of Wavelength Audio. Mr. Rankin was the first person to successfully develop an asynchronous USB protocol that works with all modern operating systems and computers"

http://www.audioquest.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/DragonFly-4pg-Brochure-155x210mm-HangHole-EN-r1.pdf

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red

Just cleared up my mistake with AQ. It's using streamlength but not the High speed version.

...which is why 24/96, I guess. Still an interesting item. Wonder if it would take digital off an iPhone dock. (Even if not, I've got a 13" MacBook Pro and a set of Etymotic ER-4P IEMs, so joy while traveling ain't far away.)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Hey Chris, wonder if you have a computer at home running FreeBSD (or that you would be willing to install it on) to tell me whether DragonFly will work with it?

Very disappointingly, my ESI Juli@ won't provide digital output when running on FreeBSD (to enable it would require somebody to do some work on the driver file), which is a shame since it's such a nice affordable high quality card otherwise. If the DragonFly will work with FreeBSD's USB code, that would make it a really appealing alternative for me.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

You are still using blue ethernet cables? Wow.

???

@jhwalker: I believe taupe is "in" as the ethernet cable color this season. At least it was at the Milan Ethernet Show.

I'll just point out that Monoprice offers Cat5e cables in 10 (!) colors. Can't help but wonder if the pink ones are big sellers.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

I received it yesterday as well. So far been using it with Audirvana+ and my AKG 701's and K450'S and do like what I am hearing. It is able to drive these headphones nicely. Excellent improvement over the stock headphone jack on the Mac Air.

I added a USB adapter to keep it flush against the Mac.

Sample rates supported, LED indicator color codes: 44.1kHz (Green), 48kHz (Blue), 88.2kHz (Yellow), 96kHz (White) Analog Audio -- Frequency Response: DC - 22 kHz (44.1kHz sample rate) DC - 24 kHz (48kHz sample rate) DC - 44 kHz (88.2kHz sample rate) DC - 48 kHz (96kHz sample rate)

IMG_0158.jpg

Looking at it now they must have changed the colors as this one is currently pink.

I'll just point out that Monoprice offers Cat5e cables in 10 (!) colors. Can't help but wonder if the pink ones are big sellers.

--David

Pink are usually for phones in structured cabling infrastructure.

But maybe you didn't want a serious answer...

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Here is more information I found:

Capabilities: Drives headphones directly Variable output drives powered speakers or power amp Fixed output feeds preamp or AV receiver Features: 64-position analog volume control Accepts music files up to 24-bit/96kHz resolution Asynchronous Class 1 USB data transfer using the Streamlength™ protocol Direct-coupled circuitry from the ESS Sabre DAC chip through the analog volume control and output analog driver section Dual Master Clocks are used to minimize the amount of jitter present in the DAC circuitry Specifications: Sample rates supported, LED indicator color codes: 44.1kHz (Green), 48kHz (Blue), 88.2kHz (Yellow), 96kHz (White) Analog Audio -- Frequency Response: DC - 22 kHz (44.1kHz sample rate) DC - 24 kHz (48kHz sample rate) DC - 44 kHz (88.2kHz sample rate) DC - 48 kHz (96kHz sample rate) Output voltage: ~= 2vrms Minimum driving impedance (i.e., minimum headphone impedance): ~= 12 ohms Maximum driving power: = 150mW

Pink are usually for phones in structured cabling infrastructure.

But maybe you didn't want a serious answer...

Au contraire, I'm happy to benefit from your expertise.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5