IGNORED

USB audio enabled on Android-powered Samsung Galaxy S III

The feature USB audio is enabled on stock Samsung Galaxy S III.

As far as I know for the time being, the following USB DACs interwork with Samsung Galaxy S III:

. USB DAC/amp FiiO E7

AndroidNZ: Galaxy S III: USB audio, is it really working?

. USB DAC/amp Topping TP30

. noname USB sound stick with a C-Media chipset

xda-developers - View Single Post - Official Sound Quality thread

It’s up to us to require Google & Android device manufacturers to enable standard USB audio!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi, I briefly had a Galaxy S III before returning it (due to issues with the carrier, not the handset). I quickly tried it with the USB DACs I have using a cheap USB OTG cable. I can confirm I had success with redbook FLACs on:

* Beresford Caiman ('Gatorised')

* Sonar SPS 25 (which I believe is the same as the Edirol UA 25)

* Behringer UCA222

* iBasso D2+ Boa

... there were no failures, although on a couple of instances I didn't get it to pick up the DAC with each cable swap. I think this might be my failing to make the connection properly due to newness of the connectors.

Time was extremely tight, so I haven't been able to try more than a track on each one, and cannot vouch for stability over any period of time, battery life, sound quality, etc.

The only other useful observation might be that the volume control on the handset did attenuate the level on the USB output.

My first post, I hope it's useful to someone!

Thanks!

A list of standard USB DAC reportedly interworking with the Android-powered smartphone Samsung Galaxy S III for the time being:

Samsung Galaxy S III > digital audio stream >> USB OTG cable with USB Micro-A plug inserted in the S III >> standard USB DAC >> amp >> headphones

. AMB Labs Gamma2:

The γ2 Compact High Performance DAC

. Behringer UCA222:

Behringer: U-CONTROL UCA222

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/usb-audio-enabled-android-powered-samsung-galaxy-s-iii-12338/#post171651

. Beresford Caiman:

Beresford Caiman review | from TechRadar's expert reviews of Hi-fi accessories

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/usb-audio-enabled-android-powered-samsung-galaxy-s-iii-12338/#post171651

. C-Media chipset-based sound card Dynamode 7 channel USB 2.0 (USB DAC/amp):

Cables - Cheap Cables from Cables Manufacturer. View product (40099516) info.

. Cakewalk Sonar SPS 25:

https://www.cakewalk.com/support/kb/reader.aspx/2007013101

. Corsair HS1 Gaming headset (USB DAC/amp/headphones):

AnandTech - Corsair HS1 Gaming Headset

Galaxy sIII definitely works with usb speakers - xda-developers

. FiiO E7 (USB DAC/amp):

FIIO-Amplifier

AndroidNZ: The Galaxy S III "Real-user" Review: Part 2 - Entertainment and media - Music and video playback, gaming, browser

. Furutech ADL Cruise (USB DAC/amp):

FURUTECH

Wolfson DAC confirmed for Galaxy S3!

. GoVibe DAC:

Go Vibe Dac mini review

Samsung Galaxy S III I9300 Official Thread V15

. GoVibe Mini USB DAC:

Jaben Audio — Go-Vibe Mini USB DAC

Finally, digital out for Galaxy SIII

. GoVibe Petite (USB DAC/amp):

GoVibe Petite DAC amp appreciation thread + PICS *LITTLE UPDATE*

Android phones and USB DACs - how to increase the issues priority with Google

. HRT Music Streamer II:

High Resolution Technologies - Music Streamer II

. HeadAmp Pico (USB DAC/amp): (apparently with only US S III for the time being)

HeadAmp - Audio Electronics (pico USB DAC/Amp)

. HeadRoom Total BitHead (USB DAC/amp):

FAQs - BitHead Portable Headphone Amplifier | HeadRoom Audio

Android phones and USB DACs - how to increase the issues priority with Google

. HiFiMan Express HM-101:

HIFIMAN EXPRESS Brand and HM-101 Portable USB DAC

. iBasso D-Zero (USB DAC/amp):

iBasso

• View topic - USB DAC support on USB OTG enabled devices? {Please vote!}

. iBasso D2 Boa (USB DAC/amp):

iBasso

Pictures Of Your Portable Rig (part XV)

. iBasso D2+ Boa (USB DAC/amp):

iBasso

. iBasso D5 (USB DAC/amp):

iBasso D5 Hj - Yet Another USB DAC/Amp

. iBasso D12 (USB DAC/amp):

iBasso

. KingRex UD-01:

KingRex UD-01 DAC

. Microsoft Philips Digital Sound System 80 (USB DAC/amp/speakers):

Digital Sound System 80 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Galaxy sIII definitely works with usb speakers - xda-developers

. NuForce Icon HDP (USB DAC/preamp/amp):

NuForce Icon HDP

. Objective DAC (ODAC):

E-DAC 24bit miniature USB DAC | Epiphany Acoustics

JDS Labs - Standalone ODAC

ODAC

. ODAC+O2 (USB DAC/amp):

EHP-O2D miniature desktop headphone amplifier with USB DAC | Epiphany Acoustics

JDS Labs - O2+ODAC Combo

O2+ODAC Headphone Amplifier / DAC combo

. Ordnance .25 (USB DAC/amp):

Ordnance Products

. Topping D1 Mark 2 (USB DAC/amp):

Google Translate

. Topping TP30 (USB DAC/amp):

Topping TP-30 posts on CNET

AndroidNZ: The Samsung Galaxy S III: USB audio confirmed!

Apparently the "Galaxy S III + (some) USB DAC" and some "computer + (some) USB DAC" have at least the same sound quality:

"How about the SQ of the S3 + NuForce Icon HDP? What headphones do you use?"

"It's quite good. Slightly, not very noticeable, better than it was connected to my computer.

so if you wanna know more about this, you can just simply refer to those review of HDP.

P.S. I am using HD600 & UM1 for testing"

"For anyone interested, the D12 USB DAC works when connected to a Galaxy S3. It sounds the same to me as it does when connected to a computer."

Ibasso D12 vs Pico DAC/Amp - Page 2 - Portable Audio - www.Head-Case.org

It’s up to us to require Google & Android device manufacturers to enable standard USB audio!

anything about the "Prodigy Cube"??

Prodigy Cube Features

Mac Mini with JRMC26 or Audirvana  / Raspberry4B_4GB(GentooPlayer_LMS) / Raspberry Rpi3B+: Allo DigiOne(GentooPlayer) - M2Tech Evo DAC Two Plus/iPurifier2 - Schiit Vali 2 - Densen DM20pre/30pwr amps - Spendor SP2/3E, Sennheiser HD600 & HD25Aluminum - Audeze Sine

Cables: Vovox, DIY, Furutech. 

Portable sources: iPad, DELL Laptop with JRiver MC26

• 5 months later...
Not to be rude but I guess my question is why? Unless you want a portable dac like the Dragonfly, etc for traveling why use a Dac for a smartphone.

I would assume the whole idea is to obtain highest quality portable reproduction by pairing the S3 with a high quality Portable DAC and Headphone Amp. Seems like a great idea to me, and perhaps shows the future for quality portable music reproduction.

This is a cheaper option than using Apple approved DAC/Amps to take a digital feed from an Ipod or other Apple product

That would be my point. I'd like to carry my music collection on the 64gb card stuffed in my SIII and play it on my Hifi up at my cabin which has just an old Sony CD player.. I have my eyes on the HRT Streamer and am looking at NAD Integrated amps right now that offer built in DACs. Wanna know if they are compatible.

I would assume the whole idea is to obtain highest quality portable reproduction by pairing the S3 with a high quality Portable DAC and Headphone Amp. Seems like a great idea to me, and perhaps shows the future for quality portable music reproduction.

This is a cheaper option than using Apple approved DAC/Amps to take a digital feed from an Ipod or other Apple product

• 1 year later...

Does anybody know what Samsung changed with there new software that now causes my SIII to NOT play to my HRT Streamer?.

Everything worked fine last time I used it in the fall, but when I went back to using the Streamer this past weekend, I get no output from the DAC. My laptop played through the Streamer just fine. I am hoping there is just a setting on the SIII that needs to be changed.

If you have updated to Android 4.3, apparently the native USB audio feature of Android 4.3 is bugged.

Android phones and USB DACs - Page 255

You should inform Samsung.

Forum | SAMSUNG Developers

In the meantime, you could use the USB Audio Player PRO (UAPP) music player which includes its own USB audio soft driver.

There is a free trial version available on Google Play store.

By the way, UAPP is my preferred music player, because it can output a very clean sound.

UAPP can also play and output 24-bit high resolution audio.

Did they fix USB Audio in 4.4? If so, you could install a custom rom like Cyanogenmod.

Also, you can download a stock 4.2 rom (exactly what you had before the update) if you don't want to go custom. I personally would go forward though, if 4.4 is fixed.

Neither of these are simple tasks, unless you're familiar with this stuff already. PM me if you're interested in either idea.

Hackintosh W7/OSX 3570k/16GB > Audirvana+ > Metric Halo ULN-8 > Rythmik F12 and Butler Audio TDB 2250 > Magnepan 1.7 > 13.5'x26'x7.5' room, HK/Limage setup

Hi Joe Topor,

Sorry, I thought I replied to this a couple of days ago. I must have done something wrong.

When I click on your profile, I'm presented with a PM option. I sent you a message. If it doesn't work, perhaps a new thread in General? Kind of off topic for this one.

It appears that Cyanogenmod incorporated USB Audio into version 11, which is based on 4.4.2 and is available for your phone. I personally suggest trying this first, go back to 4.2 if it doesn't work.

Regards,

Tim

Hackintosh W7/OSX 3570k/16GB > Audirvana+ > Metric Halo ULN-8 > Rythmik F12 and Butler Audio TDB 2250 > Magnepan 1.7 > 13.5'x26'x7.5' room, HK/Limage setup