IGNORED

Audirvana Plus: Direct Mode

Indeed - I mistakenly thought Direct Mode was 'just' a dirty workaround substitute for Lion/M Lion, so hadn't bothered to mess around with it after dismissing it.

But given what Jud said, i imagine it's something all systems would benefit from. If not, it might be worth tinkering a little with other settings before ditching it...

TF cards - USB  -> GentooPlayer in RAM on Rpi4b, Ian’s PurePi II, FIFO Q7, HDMI-pro  -> Audio GD R-27 -> S.A.T. Infinity monoblocks -> Gallo Stradas + TR-3 sub / Erzetich Phobos

Indeed - I mistakenly thought Direct Mode was 'just' a dirty workaround substitute for Lion/M Lion, so hadn't bothered to mess around with it after dismissing it.

But given what Jud said, i imagine it's something all systems would benefit from. If not, it might be worth tinkering a little with other settings before ditching it...

Well, keep in mind that if you switch off the Direct Mode, you won't have the USB Modes knob as well. In the manual it claims that Mode 1 gives the best depth and soundstage. So again, should we keep Direct Mode enabled all the time and if it is for instance Maverick it will just simply does not work (be bypassed) or rather disable it, that's still not so clear to me...

--

Krzysztof Maj

http://mkrzych.wordpress.com/

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata

Well, keep in mind that if you switch off the Direct Mode, you wan't have the USB Modes knob as well. In the manual it claims that Mode 1 gives the best depth and soundstage. So again, should we keep Direct Mode enabled all the time and if it is for instance Maverick it will just simply does not work (be bypassed) or rather disable it, that's still not so clear to me...

I'm not using A+, but I would try the settings and choose whichever sounds best to me, regardless of what is supposed to be happening.

I'm not using A+, but I would try the settings and choose whichever sounds best to me, regardless of what is supposed to be happening.

nod.gif

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

Well, keep in mind that if you switch off the Direct Mode, you won't have the USB Modes knob as well. In the manual it claims that Mode 1 gives the best depth and soundstage. So again, should we keep Direct Mode enabled all the time and if it is for instance Maverick it will just simply does not work (be bypassed) or rather disable it, that's still not so clear to me...

Direct Mode will allow Integer Mode no matter which version of OS X you have. Most versions of OS X will allow Integer Mode even without Direct Mode, except for Lion and Mountain Lion.

Whether you like Integer Mode or no Integer Mode better; Integer Mode 1 or 2; Direct Mode or no Direct Mode; is up to you and your system and your ears.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

• 10 months later...

Today I upgraded from El Capitan to Sierra and was forced to turn Direct Mode OFF. All of a sudden, my experience with Sonarworks improved considerably. Running linear mode and finally happy. More details here:

Sonarworks Headphone Calibration software - Page 36

Power: Torus (main) + Teradak (network)

Source: Bryston BDP-1 w/ Roon

DAC: Dangerous Source (Teradak 12V13A) + Emotiva DC-1

Amp: Amphion Amp100 + Marantz PM6004

Speakers: Amphion One15 + Mackie HR 824 Mk1

Headphones: Audeze LCD-2C + Denon AH-D2000 + HD 598 + KRK KNS 8400

• 11 months later...

so I've searched, but cannot find any info on iFi DACs and if they work with INT and DIRECT mode.  iFi says they are USB 2.0 compliant and it should work, but they've redirected me to the Audirvana builder. 

I know that my schiit modi multibit works in INTEGER mode, bud didn't work in DIRECT mode when it was a selectable option in A+ v2 - of course now that option isn't available due to high sierra OSX.  

Still want to get into upsampling to DSD and want to buy an iFi iDAC2 - but only if it'll work in INT and DIRECT mode.  Any redirection or reply would be appreciated.

• 1 month later...

Just wanted some advice. I use an older Mac OS (10.9.5) which allows direct mode. I have recently added a network streamer (DigiOne - Raspberry Pi with a s/pdif audio board), so I use Audirvana in UPnP mode. I was wondering if direct mode is so important for sound when using Audirvana and the Mac as a set up to the streamer. If it is not important, then I might chose to upgrade my OS.

(Cross posted on Audirvana site)

MacMini Quad i7/Audirvana Studio/USBridge DigiOne Signature Player/Schiit Yggdrasil GS/Aragon Palladium 1 amplifiers/Stacked Energy 22 speakers (Reference Connoisseur on bottom & Pro 22 on top) set tweeter to tweeter/Kimber Monocle XL speaker wires/Straightwire Crescendo & Virtuoso IC/Mordaunt Short 309 subwoofers

Direct Mode is only used for playback to local devices.

It is not applicable to network playback.

So you can upgrade to 10.11 if you want to keep Direct Mode, or to 10.12 if you do only playback to network streamer, or even 10.13 and wander in the APFS territory if you like living on the bleeding edge.

MBP 15"/Mac Mini, Audirvana Plus, Audioquest Diamond USB, AMR DP-777, exD DSD DAC (for DSD), Pioneer N-70AE, Audioquest Niagara balanced/Viard Audio Design Silver HD, Accuphase E-560, Cabasse Sumatra MT420

• 3 weeks later...

only works up to Mac OS 10.11.x: Apple definitely shut the door with 10.12 9_9

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

FWIW, I followed the "hack" that @RunHomeSlow posted in another thread to get direct mode working in high sierra 10.13.3 and Im glad I did.  Although the hack will have to be performed with each iterative update, i perceived another veil being lifted and will gladly perform this hack (or even defer updating my OS).  

Also, my thanks to @Jud for confirming the ifi capabilities.  My iDAC2 works fine in direct and integer mode.   

10 hours ago, buonassi said:

FWIW, I followed the "hack" that @RunHomeSlow posted in another thread to get direct mode working in high sierra 10.13.3 and Im glad I did.  Although the hack will have to be performed with each iterative update, i perceived another veil being lifted and will gladly perform this hack (or even defer updating my OS).  

Also, my thanks to @Jud for confirming the ifi capabilities.  My iDAC2 works fine in direct and integer mode.   

Also - you have your choice of Direct Mode or streaming via UPnP/DLNA, but not both.  Direct Mode is a driver for DACs, rather than for a UPnP/DLNA endpoint such as a microRendu.  People can choose whichever works for them (or neither, if they wish).

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

• 2 weeks later...