IGNORED

Help with the gear I already have / First post (please be nice)

Hi,

I have been gathering sound equipment over the years as a general musician / musicl listening hobbyist.

Recently I became aware of everything I was missing by using iTunes for so long because I bought a 2005 Acura TL (so basically dvd-a did me in lol)

I have purchased as many titles that were of my interests and under the 70ish dollar point on amazon.

Since then, My focus has also began to include computer hi-fi listening (24/higher than 44)

Here's what I need help with:

What gear (that I own or is under 50 dollars) should I use, where and with what connections? any advise will be appreciated.

current set up computer #1

Imac 27" late 2009 core i5

Digidesign mbox pro 2 (DAC?)

via Firewire via one cable with firewire2 on one end and firewire3 on the other. (Used for mBox)

to

Sony de197 Reciever

via Monitor out (two TRS 1/4 inch plug adapters) w/ monster interlink 100 RCA cable to the reciever.

2x Infinity Primus 150 speakers

Also available for me but not using right now/

Bose companion 3 series 2 speaker set

Bose soundwave (old CD version 1993ish)

Then I Also have hooked up to my TV currently:

Sony DAV-x1 home theater system (maybe good SACD player?)

and I have a second computer thats a macbook air late 2011 13"

Im not sure if its relevant but I also have a ps3 (slim new version) and the newer version of the Xbox 360. I dont care if i hack them like crazy to utilize them somehow.

also have crate 2x12 gutar amp and a little peavy practice amp.

what is the best sound quality i can get from what I have, (I dont have saudering experience so easy DIY stuff if thats a thing)

I dont have SACDs, just DVD-a because of my car but they seem less expensive and I dont mind buying a few. and i dont mind moving stuff around to get the best out of my system.

Thank you in advance for any tips, i can give more info if needed.

I don't know if I can address everything for you, but I can give you a few recommendations. 1. Leave the Bose alone and use your Infinity. 2. Same goes for your 2X12's and practice amp. 3. I don't see your video games can be of use either. You may want to try your PS3 just to see how it sounds. 4. I think you will get the same results with both of your Macs so use the one you prefer. (Or just try them both, just to be sure). 5. Please don't take this the wrong way. With regards to hi rez formats (dvda etc.), I wouldn't be too concerned about those right now. The components you have just don't have the resolution to take advantage of the better quality software.

With what you list, I think your setup # 1 is the best option right now. As far as upgrades go, I wouldn't go by price. Listen to an assortment of gear, pick the piece you like the best, and buy that. Even if you have to wait a little longer and save up for it.