IGNORED

ISSUE - Mac OS X, XBMC & DAC - Craklings

Hi,

I have an issue with my media center, a Mac Mini used with my HiFi system. I'm using my Mac Mini, version 2010, the first aluminum, running on OS X 10.6 (aka Snow Leopard) to run XBMC, in its latest version, EDEN.

Initially, as my preamplifier (Atoll PR300) doesn't have any digital input, i was sending first image & sound to my LCD (Loewe Individual 40 Selection DR +), using HDMI cable, and second sound to my preamplifier using the LCD RCA output. Pure happiness.

A few months ago I acquired a DAC, the same brand (DAC200 Atoll). This DAC has the following connectors:

- 3 optical digital inputs and three coaxial digital inputs independent.

- 1 USB (Type B)

- 1 RCA analog

- 1 optical digital output and a coaxial digital output with reformatting data in both directions: Coaxial optics and coaxial optics.

The idea is to take advantage of the digital to analog conversion DAC instead of the Mac mini, software against hardware, mainly using USB with a Wireworld Ultraviolet.

Unfortunately for me I noticed some cracklings, initially on playback but since few days it's also on XBMC sounds.

I've checked the XBMC settings, of course stereo is selected in the system settings, even on movies & TV shows settings and XBMC recognizes the USB driver Atoll as OS X does.

I've tested two DAC, two brand new, I've tested in 10.6 and 10.7 with clean install, also with a clean install XBMC without any results.

For several weeks I try my luck with the XBMC dev team, if this is a bug or an incorrect setting, it seems from these last that the level of OS X that it crashes.

here is the actual situation on XBMC forum :

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=128181

The actual log shoes the following issue :

14:26:44 T:2965811200 ERROR: CCoreAudioRenderer::InitializePCM: The selected device (ATOLL USB Audio 2.0) does not have a speaker layout configured. Using the default layout.

14:26:44 T:2965811200 ERROR: CCoreAudioRenderer::InitializePCM: Please go to Applications -> Utilities -> Audio MIDI Setup, and select 'Configure Speakers...'

I don't know what to change in the parameters :

audiomidi1.png

audiomidi2.png

Hope someone can help me

Thanks

Nemrod

I'm trying different parameters but is it possible that this message is not the real one ?

I mean i'm using USB cable with the following parameters in XBMC settings (OPTICAL/COAX & ATOLL USB Audio 2.0) but in order to test i changed theses parameters for (OPTICAL/COAX &default output) and (OPTICAL/COAX & built in output.).

I don't know if i'm completly clear, english is not my mother tongue :angel:

hope this thought will help

Nemrod

There is something fundamentally weird about XBMC settings. I found my HDMI audio out worked best when the setting was set to "analogue," even though it was using the HDMI digital interface.

However, i have found it almost unusable as an audio player.

• 2 weeks later...

I have crackling problems but not with your system--for me with any digital input via AppleTV to my Audiolab 8200CDQ. The "solution" for us is to switch to another optical input channel (which is not in fact hooked up to anything) and then switch back to the channel that was crackling, and the crackling is gone. Not a great solution, because it keeps on happening, and every time it happens, our dog reacts like it's thunder. She's become phobic of the TV/Stereo!

- Lynette

----

Mac Mini with iTunes and Pure Music > Audiophilleo2 > Audiolab 8200CDQ pre-amp/CD player/DAC > Kimber PBJ interconnects [> Grant Fidelity B283 mkii Tube Processor > mystery hand-me-down interconnects >] Audiolab 8200P power amp > Grant Fidelity SPC-2.5 Performance speaker cables > Opera Consonance Eric Grand speakers

I'm testting since quite a week, it seems that the problem was cause by OS X sound effects, now i'm sending them the Mini speakers.

*and* you can just turn them off completely:

Screen Shot 2012-06-10 at 6.01.42 PM.png

by unchecking "Play user interface sound effects"

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system