IGNORED

What kind of digital music do you listen to the most?

What kind of digital music do you listen to the most?  

112 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I am just curious about what kind of digital music we all listen to the most. A couple folks I have met recently listen to Rock on their digital rigs, but Classical on their Vinyl rigs. (And vice versa.)

Poll's open, as is the discussion! Multiple choices allowed. The poll will not display any personal information. Thoughts and views appreciated!

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Ah jeeze - I totally left Jazz off there! Stupid of me. Guess Jazz will need to go under "other" unless Chris C. can edit it in.

I guess we know what you don't listen to.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

You also left 'World Music" off your list; an important category. As 'folk' is generally interpreted as traditional English / Irish / country you've missed not only Africa, India, Near East Asia but also the remainder of Europe and North America!!

My personal split is roughly 50% classical, 25% jazz and 25% world (including folk).

No wonder your 'other' category is the most popular.

ALAC iTunes library on Synology DS412+ running MinimServer with Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 tablet running BubbleUPnP for control >

Hi-Fi 1: Airport Extreme bridge > Netgear switch > TP-Link optical isolation > dCS Network Bridge AND PS Audio PerfectWave Transport > PS Audio DirectStream DAC with Bridge Mk.II > Primare A60 > Harbeth SHL5plus Anniversary Edition .

Hi-Fi 2: Sonore Rendu > Chord Hugo DAC/preamp > LFD integrated > Harbeth P3ESRs and > Sennheiser HD800

I think you are right, and I did not think that out well.

Why don't we discuss what should be in each category and then start an individual topic for each one?

I suggest the top categories to be:

Classical

Rock

Jazz

Folk

World

Vocal

Soundtrack

With as many subcategories as needed, and perhaps we can combine some to make it more compact. Sound okay?

Or we can redo this list somehow to make it more appropriate. Wow- I didn't think how many categories I really missed! I guess I just didn't think period! :)

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

I suggest the top categories to be:

Classical

Rock

Jazz

Folk

World

Vocal

Soundtrack

I'd suggest taking a look at the Billboard "genre" charts. I'm not suggesting this is a definitive taxonomy, but it indicates some pretty large areas you're leaving out. Maybe audiophiles don't listen to those genres, but it would be interesting to include them just to see whether that's the case. Myself, I listen to a fair amount of Latin/tropical and what's now called "adult contemporary" (I think). Country figures in there somewhere, too. (No, I'm not ashamed.)

Also, I've never been so hot on "vocal" as a category -- doesn't seem to indicate much.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

Ah jeeze - I totally left Jazz off there! Stupid of me. Guess Jazz will need to go under "other" unless Chris C. can edit it in. -Paul

I forgive you Paul. Perhaps your next poll might be about the best Jazz album ever. If you do put me down for Miles Davis' Kind Of Blue

Enjoy the music,

Richard

Hmm - you should put a box just 'saying all of the above' -- about the only type of music I don't have is "HIP / HOP - RAP"

Death Metal / Punk, Opera, Classical, Country etc all can be found in my collection :-) (Mind you - some categories more than others)

Source: 1.0TB OWC Mercury Elite Pro < FW800> Mac Mini (2009 / 10.8.3)

1.0TB WD MY PASSPORT Mac Mini (2009 / 10.8.3)

Players (Hardware): MacBook Pro 13 (2011, 10.8.3 8 gig), ATV2

Amp / DAC: Nuforce DDA-100

Speakers: ELAC 201

Software: iTunes & BitPerfect / Audirvana Free / Audirvana Plus / MPD 0.16.6

Connectivity: subject to random changes

• 3 weeks later...
I guess we know what you don't listen to.

--David

Guess that applies to me as well, didn't even notice it wasn't an option.

Mac Mini, Audirvana Plus, Metrum Hex NOS DAC w/Upgraded USB Module-2, UpTone Regen Amber, Pass Labs INT-30A Amplifier, B&W 802 Diamond Speakers, Shotgun Bi-wire Kimber 4TC Cables. Headphone setup: Burson Soloist Amp, Audeze LCD-3 Headphones.

Don't forget (me) electronica! Ha Ha. I was wondering why "other" was so popular but now I understand since you left out jazz, duh!

2010 Mac mini 16GB Lion / Pure music - iTunes / Audioquest coffee USB cable / Ayre Q-B 9 DAC / Ayre K-5xe preamp / Ayre V-5xe amp / Sonus Faber concerto grand piano speakers / Rel Strata III sub / Transparent Powerwave 8 / Transparent MLPB interconnects - MWP speaker cables / Caldigit 2T Raid - 800FireWire / iPad - splashtop app