IGNORED

Peachtree Audio Decco 65 stereo integrated amplifier with built-in digital-to-analog converter

x731DEC65BG-o_front.jpeg

Tube sound

I was looking at the Peachtree Audio Decco. Can Peachtree Hybrid amps be made to sound warm like Mac tubes?

Does anybody make a Hybrid that produces the low fatiguing sounds like a tube Macintosh amp?

Can an equalizer or some other device contribute to making Hybrids sound more like tube Macintosh's?

Clipping

In the late 80s we were advised to have 100 watts per channel on hand for the then new digital music sources. How can these current products get by with so few output watts?

Are they all designed for little, tiny speakers?

We had to upgrade to our Macintosh’s to amps with power guard to protect against clipping. Do Hybrids have some kind of built in clipping protection, do we still have to worry about clipping?

USB

Is USB a better DAC input than optical?

The Driver smiled when he lost his pursuer...

In the ancient past, a certain amount of Watts was suggested to drive loud speakers properly. The power amplifier was required to provide for the complete range of sound. But now they are only required to power part of the sound, with the subwoofers amplifiers getting the low end. Is there a formula about how much less a speaker needs from the power amplifier, when the subwoofers amplifiers are used to take part of the load?

Does the more efficient design of the class D power amplifier use less Watts to get the same result?

The Driver smiled when he lost his pursuer...

Does the more efficient design of the class D power amplifier use less Watts to get the same result?

Yes and no. The power rating of an amplifier is the maximum output power - and 50W into the speaker is 50W into the speaker, be it from a class D amp or a class A/B or A. The difference is that to push that 50 W into the speaker, a class D amp uses 55-60W of mains power (and burns away 5-10W as heat), whle a class A/B amp might use 75-100W and a class A amp whatever your local power station can deliver... :)

I haven't heard this one, but it is exactly what I wish my Nova was. In particular, the newer class D amps actually are said to have a more tube-like sound to them.

If you have $4K, the Peachtree Grand Integrated looks like a zero-compromise option.