IGNORED

new Sonore DAC with DSD playback

SONORE DSD DAC

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION:

The Sonore/exD DSD DAC is an asynchronous USB digital to analog converter capable of native DSD and standard PCM playback. Note: Not all DAC chips are created equally and some actually convert DSD data to PCM internally. The Sonore/exD DAC chip receives DSD data and does not convert it to PCM internally. In order to accomplish native DSD playback the unit supports the DSD over PCM (DoP) v1 specification for loss less DSD playback. The DAC is also capable of standard 24/192 playback for use with Redbook content and hi-resolution content.

DIGITAL FEATURES:

Ultra low jitter local master clock <3pS

True asynchronous mode operation

USB Audio Class 2.0 compliant

PCM playback up to 192kHz.

DSD playback of DSD64 and DSD128

Compatible with DoP v1 specification

Custom made USB to DSD and PCM module

Custom made power module with low noise regulators

Support for Mac OS X without special driver (10.6 or later)

Support for Linux without special driver (Alsa version 1.0.24 or later)

Support for Windows XP, Vista and Win 7 (32 and 64 bit), driver (WDM and ASIO) will be provided

ANALOG FEATURES:

RCA unbalanced outputs

XLR balanced outputs

Output impedance: <50ohm unbalanced, <100ohm balanced

Output voltage: 2V Unbalanced, 4V Balanced

Custom made analog board with capacitor isolated outputs

SPECIFICATIONS

Power requirements: 120VAC

Dimension: 320mm (width) x 70mm (height) x 305mm (depth)

Weight: 5kg

Custom made power module with low noise regulators

OPTIONS:

230VAC

Cardas power cord

Cardas analog

Cardas digital cables

Cardas speaker wires

AVAILABLE MODELS:

MSRP $ 1195 USD - Sonore/exD DSD DAC with USB input

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Yes, it's created in conjunction with Patrick Kan and the guys at exD. Damien (Audirvana) tuned me onto them. This could be a very exciting low-end $$ native DSD solution. Jesus and I are working on a demo getting to me. :)

Chris, your killing me:) I need a few days before the final build unit arrives. I have a few units on order, but I had the prototype sent to MPD and I didn't have a chance to get it in to photograph. I have been using DoP decoder and it's working very well.

Ted, the unit on it's way to me will be the unit I relay to you. I just need it to take photographs and I want to give a quick test spin while it's here....

Best

Jesus R

• 2 weeks later...
Any further word on the new Sonore DAC with DSD? Jesus? Ted?

Esau

Esau, there are a few units out and about already. I'm making arrangements for one unit to go to an online DSD content provider for a demo. Ted's demo unit is at my VP's for internal testing with W7 and will ship to him shortly. We have been hearing that DSD is great and so far it's living up to expectations..

Jesus R

This is really for the customer to decide. My reason for producing it was to provide an affordable solution that would be Linux friendly. The intent is not to compete with Mytek and in fact the design was kept as simple as possible on purpose. Anyway, this unit is compatible with Linux via USB. It does not convert the DSD data to PCM internally and that was naturally of interest to the project. Also, understand that exD is one of our partners in moving DSD forward and who better produce the DAC:)

Jesus R

Why is the XLR balanced output voltage lower then your average 5+ volts?

My Dedicated 2CH System Gallery

Custom C.A.P.S. Reference Music Server with UpTone Audio JS-2 External Linear Power Supply > Bel Canto REFLink Asynchronous USB Converter > AT&T ST Optical Glass Fiber > Bel Canto DAC3.7 DAC > Pass Labs XP-20 Preamp > Pass Labs XA160.5 Class A Mono Blocks > Martin Logan Summit X Speakers

Powered By Balanced Power Technologies - UpTone Audio JS-2 Linear Power Supply - CyberPower Sinewave UPS

I should be done whining as of today, since my "real" pre-amp delivered this morning, with the amp to arrive in the next few days. XLR cables, here I come.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

Why is the XLR balanced output voltage lower then your average 5+ volts?

My Sonore Signature DAC has an analog volume control, but it's expensive to add. We could have had a digital volume control, but I didn't want to degrade the sound. The lack of volume control is on purpose and we expect 4V RMS to be fine with most active and passive volume controls...

Jesus R

• 3 weeks later...

Jesus has been nice enough to let me play with this Sonore-badged eXD DAC for the past couple of weeks. He and the boys of Auraliti (Demian, Ray) as well as the MPD magician himelf, Lintweaker (Jurgen), have updated and dialed in my PK90USB system to be both DSD-capable for the eXD as well as using the latest code that grabs DSD tags nicely...:)

The eXD DAC is a great value at $1195, although I have yet to hear it vs the Mytek (I have to get it back from a local audio buddy). The DAC is very clean and quiet (i.e low noise floor) and is quite musical with nice timbre and tonality. I suspect the analog section has a lot to do with the natural warmth and timbre of the DAC. This shines through in both PCM and DSD. As a DSD DAC it only succumbs to the much more expensive Meitner MA-1 in overall air and in ability to handle complex passages. When things get complex and dynamic, the eXD tends to sound a little brittle in the leading edge and tends to congest a little. This is $1195 vs $7,000 of course.

I am disappointed that I can’t a/b it against the Mytek yet (not interested in a shoot-out per se, but a comparison will be nice), and I suspect it won’t be till next weekend at the earliest that I could get my Mytek back. From poor and unfair sonic memory I think the eXD will hold its own in DSD and possibly in PCM as well. Add to that the fact that the eXD does Linux (Mytek doesn’t unless you do firewire Linux of course) and you have a winner I think. The Mytek does firewire, SDIF (mastering version) and other things (remote volume as preamp, etc) so these two DACs are for slightly different audiences, maybe. But the Sonore/eXD DAC brings wonderful DSD playback to the under-$1200 category, and that is a very nice thing!!! 2 thumbs up.

That sounds great Ted. I hope Jesus and the crew sell quite a few of these. It seems like a very good deal for the price. BTW, as we speak I'm downloading a DSD of Dvorak 8th and 9th Symphonies from Channel Classics. Can't wait to hear it.

Too bad there aren't any DSD downloads of The Who or some other classic rock yet. I hopeful there will be sometime - the record companies want to make some more money off all those masters they made for SACD don't they?

Very interested to hear how the Sonore compares to the Mytek. If it is close or its equal in SQ it will be a real audiophile bargain.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Very interested to hear how the Sonore compares to the Mytek. If it is close or its equal in SQ it will be a real audiophile bargain.

I would also be very interested to hear how the $1195 exD DSD Sonore DAC compares to the $4429 Signature Series Sonore DAC for PCM playback up to 192kHz.

I didn't realize that the Mytek cannot do DSD via USB under Linux. The Mytek seems like the odd man out if EMM Labs, Meitner, dCS, and Playback Design can all do DSD via USB under Linux.

AZ: the exD/Sonore and Sonore Signature DACs have nothing in common. The Signature is BB1792 with asynchronous sample rate conversion (upsampling to 24/192) based DAC, with SPDIF and I2S inputs, a tube transformer coupled output stage, with an optional, analog, stepped attenuator for volume control, and all very high quality through hole parts.

The exD/Sonore is an all solid state, compact DAC, based a Cirrus DAC chip (one of the few chips which allows true single bit conversion of DSD sources), an asynchronous USB input (only), no volume control (cannot do digital volume on a single bit converter), and an IC opamp, SMD, based output stage.

These two DACs could not be more different in topology and build, so I would not expect them to have similar sonics.

The Signature is a highly resolved DAC, with just a hint of that added tube "magic": a little warmth and body in the midrange, which tends to flesh out timbres, without becoming bloated or slow at all. Low noise floor, and lots of detail as well. It really sounds great. I think Jesus is looking into the possibility of offering the Signature DAC with an async USB input, but one would have to ask him to be sure.

I have not heard the exD/Sonore yet...

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

Thanks Ted. To clarify the Mytek USB and Linux support bit. The Mytek needs properatiery drivers which are not available for Linux. So you cannot get sound from Linux using the Mytek USB2 port.

Right. The Mytek USB1 port will work, but only to 24/96 (which means no DoP). Jesus reports that Linux firewire works fine via Mytek.

I really appreciate the comments and feedback! I just have a few details to clear up. Barrows did a great job at comparing the two DACs and I'll leave it that. exD had a DAC on there site back in 2011 that used a Cirrus DAC chip. The Sonore/exD DAC is a different design and does not use that DAC chip. It's true that I'm exploring an USB option to the Sonore Signature Series DAC. This option requires some power supply changes and will substitute the HDMI i2s input. The USB input prototype is being build and incorporates some additional upgrades. Linux Firewire into the Mytek is working out very nice thanks to Jurgen. Getting it working is not hard, but requires some command line persuasion.

Jesus R

• 2 weeks later...