IGNORED

Bottom cover replacement - 2010 Mac mini

Anyone have an audiophile tweak for replacing the rubber bottom cover of the 2010 Mac mini? The bottom of the mini is an odd critter - neither fully flat or fully aluminum. I was analyzing the bottom of the little one for Brass footers or just a better bottom for improved sonics.

driven | by sound - \"bats & audiophiles\"[br]

Anyone have an audiophile tweak for replacing the rubber bottom cover of the 2010 Mac mini? The bottom of the mini is an odd critter - neither fully flat or fully aluminum. I was analyzing the bottom of the little one for Brass footers or just a better bottom for improved sonics.

I have to confess the idea that the bottom cover in some way could change the sound quality and/or digital output never occurred to me, but it might be a good first step to try to detect any audible difference with the cover off and the cover on.

Anyone have an audiophile tweak for replacing the rubber bottom cover of the 2010 Mac mini?

I've seen one outfit that makes a pretty pricey one: the miniplat2 from http://ultrafi.biz/. Don't know anything about it other than what it says on the website, but here's a picture: http://www.audiostream.com/content/ultra-fi.

I put my mini (and external HD and DAC) up on VibraPod feet and cones, and that seemed to me to make a positive difference in SQ.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

I have to confess the idea that the bottom cover in some way could change the sound quality and/or digital output never occurred to me, but it might be a good first step to try to detect any audible difference with the cover off and the cover on.

Thanks. What I do know is moving the mini onto different platforms and surfaces changes the sound - improvements vary. Currently using Dayton speaker spikes (1.5") under the corners. But want to move to big bold brass 3"x3" footers. Either I change out the rubber plate or insert a platform in between bottom of mini and the footers. Hopefully, one of our members have gone down this road...

I've seen one outfit that makes a pretty pricey one: the miniplat2 from http://ultrafi.biz/. Don't know anything about it other than what it says on the website, but here's a picture: http://www.audiostream.com/content/ultra-fi.

I put my mini (and external HD and DAC) up on VibraPod feet and cones, and that seemed to me to make a positive difference in SQ.

--David

Great! I'll have a look, as my own searches didn't return very much. I haven't even arrived at the site yet, and I'm already prepared for sticker shock!

Thanks. What I do know is moving the mini onto different platforms and surfaces changes the sound - improvements vary. Currently using Dayton speaker spikes (1.5") under the corners. But want to move to big bold brass 3"x3" footers. Either I change out the rubber plate or insert a platform in between bottom of mini and the footers. Hopefully, one of our members have gone down this road...

When we grow vibration-sensitive crystals, sometimes we put them on a platform suspended by a child's bicycle or wagon inner-tube. It won't look pretty, but it does dampen vibrations. Another trick I have seen is to make a small metal platform and suspend it from some small chains or wires.