IGNORED

Adventures on Craigslist...

Yes that one :) Very nice ! I will have to give it some thoughts though... I also have an old motorcycle that needs some attention and the older it gets, the more expensive the repairs are...

Thats why I don't have an old car... I want one, but don't have the time to be fixing it.

No electron left behind.

Excellent result. I recently was poking around at a neighbourhood garage sale and picked up some 30 year old wharfdale speakers for next to nothing, that I connected to an old Pioneer amp that has the motorola 48 bit dac, so I can play off iTunes off my macbook. I was stunned by the quality of the sound. Very happy.

illusion

• 1 year later...
I am not sure I am brave enough for DIY yet. How many times did you burn yourself with the soldering iron?

A couple of times for me. You get much more prudent after that, buy better equipment too (like an iron with a longer shielded handle).

DIY is not only cost-effective, but it's super fun too, and sometimes it's the way to coax unexpectedly high sound quality from vintage gear by swapping a few components and/or doing some additional mods. Case in point: there is a whole Facebook group devoted to Yaqin tube amp modifications for instance.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels