IGNORED

Adventures on Craigslist...

By now I am sure many of you have seen my thread highlighting the fact I had recently bought a vintage Marantz receiver on Craigslist, in case you have not: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/threads/11230-Just-bought-this

This got me thinking, what kind of system can a person get on Craigslist? I already had 2 turntables I bought from people advertising on Craigslist, and now I have a receiver as well. So I decided to see what I could find for speakers. After almost getting super lucky on a pair of Focal 806v bookshelf speakers I found a pair of near mint B&W DM601s for $200. I drove out to the burbs and met a wonderful older gentleman who, according to his wife, was accumulating too many stereo components so some had to go, and came home with the speakers. After getting a bunch of the appropriate cables from Monoprice, and a ground cable from The Needle Doctor to connect the turntable ground to the ground on the Marantz, I hooked it all up and gave it a listen.

To say I was a bit shocked would be an understatement. After futzing with speaker placement for a while I now have a nice, if small, soundstage, a very nice tonal balance, great gobs of detail, and nothing but musical enjoyment from this system. So nice in fact that I plugged my Cosecant into it and now have this system in my office, speakers on my desk in a near field set-up and sounding very, very nice.

So, what have I learned? Well, for one thing musical enjoyment does not need to cost a lot of money. Total cost of Craigslist components is $700.

Marantz 2230: $200

B&W DM601s: $200

Technics SL1200: $300

Cables were all from Monoprice, except the one highlighted above, and cost much less than $100. If someone did not want a turntable, that money could easily pay for a DAC. There is also no reason a Mac Mini or some other similar device can not be sourced from Craigslist. What other costs would there be? Well, first of all a computer and a DAC. Second, if a turntable was part of the deal a cartridge would be needed, also does not need to be expensive. The Marantz has a built in Phono Stage that sounds very nice, so an external one is not needed.

As a bonus, I get free over the air FM broadcasts, and they can be very nice to listen to.

No electron left behind.

Huh, I thought there would be some on the forum that would have something to add to this... Perhaps I am the only one to whom my self inflicted challenge was a good idea...

Great. I like to read this stuff. I am not sure what to add.

The other great cost-effective approach was one that 4est encouraged me to try: DIY audio equipment.

Great. I like to read this stuff. I am not sure what to add.

The other great cost-effective approach was one that 4est encouraged me to try: DIY audio equipment.

I am not sure I am brave enough for DIY yet. How many times did you burn yourself with the soldering iron?

No electron left behind.

I am not sure I am brave enough for DIY yet. How many times did you burn yourself with the soldering iron?

Never. But I did inhale plenty of carcinogenic flux vapor.

Besides, learning how to burn yourself with a soldering iron can save you both time and money with DIY dermatology.

But, seriously, this kit was pretty easy:

As I live in a very audiophile unfriendly area, Craigslist is mostly full of auto audio components. I mean there is some fierce action on subs...

I went the DIY route myself. Started with a Bottlehead "Crack" headphone amp. Liked it enough to have now to have finished 2 kits, AudioNoteKits L4 Sig (EL34 PP amp) and AudioNoteKits Dac 4.1 SE. Both are upgraded with AudioNote tantalum resistors, and AN Copper Film Capacitors. They have started substituting some custom made output transformers with their kits, which sound good. I may investigate getting some real AudioNote output transformers for the DAC, I can't figure out if AN has a PP OPT which would match in my amp. I think he was getting custom HiB transformers made by them.

I have a DIY server with a Stello U3 feeding the DAC. I have the same speakers as the OP : Zu Audio Essence. Love my system, looking for a better room... The quest is always onwards.

[Home Digital] MSB Premier DAC > Modright LS300 > Atma-Sphere "Class D" Monoblocks > Daedalus Audio Muse Studio Speakers

[Home Analog] Technics SL-1200G > Boulder 508 (Benz Glider SL)

[Office] Laptop > Kitsune R2R lvl3 > Violectric V281 > Meze Liric / Meze Elite

[Travel] Laptop/iPad -> Focal Bathys

Bought a pair of Magnepan 1.6's on Craigslist.........excellent working order..........$550 picked up. NY/NJ area has a lot of great deals.

I saw a pair of those for sale here too. The 30 watts in my receiver would never be able to power them though, so I had to pass.

No electron left behind.

Never. But I did inhale plenty of carcinogenic flux vapor.

Besides, learning how to burn yourself with a soldering iron can save you both time and money with DIY dermatology.

But, seriously, this kit was pretty easy:

Ha. DIY Dermatology, maybe there is a future in that...

No electron left behind.

As I live in a very audiophile unfriendly area, Craigslist is mostly full of auto audio components. I mean there is some fierce action on subs...

I went the DIY route myself. Started with a Bottlehead "Crack" headphone amp. Liked it enough to have now to have finished 2 kits, AudioNoteKits L4 Sig (EL34 PP amp) and AudioNoteKits Dac 4.1 SE. Both are upgraded with AudioNote tantalum resistors, and AN Copper Film Capacitors. They have started substituting some custom made output transformers with their kits, which sound good. I may investigate getting some real AudioNote output transformers for the DAC, I can't figure out if AN has a PP OPT which would match in my amp. I think he was getting custom HiB transformers made by them.

I have a DIY server with a Stello U3 feeding the DAC. I have the same speakers as the OP : Zu Audio Essence. Love my system, looking for a better room... The quest is always onwards.

The Zu Audio Essence are an awesome speaker! How many watts does your Audio Note amp put out, how does it sound?

No electron left behind.

Ha. DIY Dermatology, maybe there is a future in that...

Mine told me to put on sunblock before going into an airplane, to protect me from cosmic rays.

So, come to think of it, there is a bit of an audiophile parallel.

Mine told me to put on sunblock before going into an airplane, to protect me from cosmic rays.

So, come to think of it, there is a bit of an audiophile parallel.

interesting, what kind of sunblock was recommended? Did a Dermatologist really tell you that?

If so, :facepalm:

No electron left behind.

interesting, what kind of sunblock was recommended? Did a Dermatologist really tell you that?

If so, :facepalm:

She really did. Neutrogenia. I worry a lot more about the airport X-ray back-scatter body scanners. I won't go into one.

She really did. Neutrogenia. I worry a lot more about the airport X-ray back-scatter body scanners. I won't go into one.

Ask her what kind of sunblock will protect you from the X-ray scanners next time you see her... I would rather buy my own plane than fly on a commercial airline anymore.

No electron left behind.

Errr... Are there planes for sale on Craigslist ? ;)

Did get my old preamp on Canuck Audio Mart. First time doing this. I liked the experience. I look from time to time, even if I am happy with what I have for the moment. You never know... :)

Alain

Well, as long as it does not fly too fast, maybe I could just grab the wings ? ;-)

it seems there is a Craigslist here in Montreal. I never really checked but the Marantz you had the chance to find was an eye opener :)

Alain

Well, as long as it does not fly too fast, maybe I could just grab the wings ? ;-)

it seems there is a Craigslist here in Montreal. I never really checked but the Marantz you had the chance to find was an eye opener :)

I think there is a craigslist board for nearly everywhere. As far as planes go, I was thinking something more like this:

http://www.controller.com/listingsdetail/aircraft-for-sale/MOONEY-ACCLAIM-TYPE-S/2009-MOONEY-ACCLAIM-TYPE-S/1217731.htm?

No electron left behind.

Nice plane... I can't tell if I would prefer to be seated just beside the pilot though... I hate flying, no explanation for that :(

I have seen 2 Marantz yet on Craigslist ? I am surprised ! A 2240 for 350$ cash, all checked, cleaned, caps changed... I am asking myself if it is the time to spend... But boy is it tempting... My girl friend would surely prefer to have a remote to go with it... Arrrg !

Alain

My amp is 35 watts. Previously I had some 25 watt monoblocks. The new amp has better bass, and even smoother mids. I suspect the treble is extended higher, but I don't think I can hear it. (53 years old, history of hunting, skeet/trap, and woodworking, with hearing protectors sometime)

The dermatologists are all busy here in the sun of the gulf coast. I personally am missing a chunk of skin from my shoulder. Dating back to lifeguarding teen years?

[Home Digital] MSB Premier DAC > Modright LS300 > Atma-Sphere "Class D" Monoblocks > Daedalus Audio Muse Studio Speakers

[Home Analog] Technics SL-1200G > Boulder 508 (Benz Glider SL)

[Office] Laptop > Kitsune R2R lvl3 > Violectric V281 > Meze Liric / Meze Elite

[Travel] Laptop/iPad -> Focal Bathys

Nice plane... I can't tell if I would prefer to be seated just beside the pilot though... I hate flying, no explanation for that :(

I have seen 2 Marantz yet on Craigslist ? I am surprised ! A 2240 for 350$ cash, all checked, cleaned, caps changed... I am asking myself if it is the time to spend... But boy is it tempting... My girl friend would surely prefer to have a remote to go with it... Arrrg !

this one? http://montreal.fr.craigslist.ca/ele/2994591033.html

that one looks very nice. Flying is fine, its the landings that may or may not be a problem... ;)

No electron left behind.

My amp is 35 watts. Previously I had some 25 watt monoblocks. The new amp has better bass, and even smoother mids. I suspect the treble is extended higher, but I don't think I can hear it. (53 years old, history of hunting, skeet/trap, and woodworking, with hearing protectors sometime)

The dermatologists are all busy here in the sun of the gulf coast. I personally am missing a chunk of skin from my shoulder. Dating back to lifeguarding teen years?

The one thing about the Zu Essence everyone who buys them needs to know, is this: Yes they can be run by a flea watt amp, but to sound really good they need a few more watts. 35-40 is enough IMO to make them really sing. My Cary integrated puts out 40 triode watts and makes them sound wonderful.

No electron left behind.