IGNORED

dac with MOG/pandora/siriusxm internet

any advantage to using usb dac ie cambridgeaudio dacmagic plus or halide dac hd between my pc and avr when listening to MOG pandora or siriusxm will the sound reproduction be improved /better? a refernce was made on the mog vs spotify review in equipement used using a dac but no mention if the sound soundstage depth clarity was improved with the external dac. i got one response on another forum from fellow in uk who said unequivically yes then suggested arcam(?SIC) dac but i think he was the owner of the company! thanks bobbmd [email protected] or [email protected]

any advantage to using usb dac ie cambridgeaudio dacmagic plus or halide dac hd between my pc and avr when listening to MOG pandora or siriusxm will the sound reproduction be improved /better? a refernce was made on the mog vs spotify review in equipement used using a dac but no mention if the sound soundstage depth clarity was improved with the external dac. i got one response on another forum from fellow in uk who said unequivically yes then suggested arcam(?SIC) dac but i think he was the owner of the company! thanks bobbmd [email protected] or [email protected]

I run all my streaming content (primarily MOG, but including SiriusXM, etc.) from my MacMini thru my Schiit Bifrost DAC and I think it sounds great. Whether you can hear the difference with such "lo-fi" content is another question entirely.

Once you have the DAC, of course, you can also use it for more hi-fi material, including downloaded high resolution files, lossless rips from CDs, etc., so you can think of it as an investment in the future of your system :)

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

I run all my streaming content (primarily MOG, but including SiriusXM, etc.) from my MacMini thru my Schiit Bifrost DAC and I think it sounds great. Whether you can hear the difference with such "lo-fi" content is another question entirely.

Once you have the DAC, of course, you can also use it for more hi-fi material, including downloaded high resolution files, lossless rips from CDs, etc., so you can think of it as an investment in the future of your system :)

jwalker- thankyou very much-yes iam already envisioning(enhearing?) what that dacmagic plus will do for my ripped cd's and the sound from my yamaha c750 universal changer and from my cable topbox if the sound reproduction is anything close to what i get from the multichannel analogue with outlaw icbm-1 bass manager on the changer for my dvd-audios and scacds thanks again not many would answer me on other forums like it was a dumb question bobbmd

any advantage to using usb dac ie cambridgeaudio dacmagic plus or halide dac hd between my pc and avr when listening to MOG pandora or siriusxm will the sound reproduction be improved /better? a refernce was made on the mog vs spotify review in equipement used using a dac but no mention if the sound soundstage depth clarity was improved with the external dac. i got one response on another forum from fellow in uk who said unequivically yes then suggested arcam(?SIC) dac but i think he was the owner of the company! thanks bobbmd

bobbmd,

Absolutely!

I use both a computer and a modified Sonos player and run them through my dacs and it sounds fantastic. I use MOG and Spotify and the Sonos can even stream my music from my computer making it very versatile. With the Sonos, you have an almost unlimited choice of stations and I control it from my smartphone. It's really easy and sounds great.

Joe

PS Audio BHK 300 Signature Mono Amplifiers, Triode Corporation TRX-M845 Monoblocks, Ayre MX-R Twenty monos, Pass Labs XA60.8 monos, Accuphase A-36, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE, Jolida Fusion 3502, Cary 300B SE, JBL 4367, Sonus Faber Stradivari, Klipsch Palladium P17-b, Klipsch RP-160M, Klipsch RB-75, KEF LS50, Nord One UP NC500MB monos, Lumin S1, Carver VTA20S, Manley Steelhead, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES, ASL Wave monos, Kimber RCA and XLR cable, VPI Classic 3, VPI SDS, Lyra Kleos, Burmester 948, Metric Halo LIO-8.

bobbmd,

Absolutely!

I use both a computer and a modified Sonos player and run them through my dacs and it sounds fantastic. I use MOG and Spotify and the Sonos can even stream my music from my computer making it very versatile. With the Sonos, you have an almost unlimited choice of stations and I control it from my smartphone. It's really easy and sounds great.

Joe

thankyou joe appreciate the input just didnt want to invest $ if sound reproduction wasnt going tobe substainially improved-my tastes are simple i am just an old doc-dont have a smart phone dont want one i am up to my eyeballs with bushobamacare electronic medical records just want to listen to the dead the stones dylan clapton the band cash on MOG/pandora/siriusxm/wfuv(fordham) ie late pete fornatele and vin scelsa(old wnew nyc djs shows are called "mixed bag" and "idiots delight")- i bet i am the only physician in new york state with a grateful dead ringtone-ripple-and if i change phones i'll have to pay the old bastards

estate another $5 to download it again! thanks again bobbmd

Hi Bob,

I just want to be clear. You need a dac that has either spdif or toslink inputs to accept the digital output of the Sonos player. I love mine so much that I've been lazy to rip my cd's to my computer. I can call up almost any artist or song and have it instantly play on my stereo. Even though it's compressed (up to 320kbps with MOG and Spotify), I think it can sound pretty decent and the convenience if off the chart. You can even stream music you have ripped on your computer/network and play through any Sonos unit. Awesome!

wfuv(fordham) ie late pete fornatele and vin scelsa(old wnew nyc djs shows are called "mixed bag" and "idiots delight")

Bob you have excellent taste. I love WFUV, Vin Scelsa, RIP Pete Fornatele, mixed bag and idiots delight. You can stream WFUV (like I am doing now) through Sonos.

Joe

pm me with any questions!

PS Audio BHK 300 Signature Mono Amplifiers, Triode Corporation TRX-M845 Monoblocks, Ayre MX-R Twenty monos, Pass Labs XA60.8 monos, Accuphase A-36, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE, Jolida Fusion 3502, Cary 300B SE, JBL 4367, Sonus Faber Stradivari, Klipsch Palladium P17-b, Klipsch RP-160M, Klipsch RB-75, KEF LS50, Nord One UP NC500MB monos, Lumin S1, Carver VTA20S, Manley Steelhead, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES, ASL Wave monos, Kimber RCA and XLR cable, VPI Classic 3, VPI SDS, Lyra Kleos, Burmester 948, Metric Halo LIO-8.