IGNORED

LINUX newbie here

i am tooling around with different linux distros and my music streamer II usb dac only goes up to 44k.1 whereas on windows 7 i was able to adjust it via a menu to 96k. will i ever be able to get this usb dac to go to 96k running any distro of linux?

regards, dan

Don't know which distro you are using. They differ, and some I have used don't make it obvious or simple to do. One I could never figure out. I am no linux expert, but do use it as my main OS on most of my computers.

Several that were difficult to get working at anything other than 44.1k, would work if I played a track using Audacity. You could try playing something in Audacity. Even take a 44.1 track and upsample it in Audacity to get a higher sample rate and play it to see if you get the higher rate out.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

i have run ubuntu, open suse, mint, ultimate edition and am now downloading pear os. i just want to get away from windows entirely. linux identifies my music streamer dac but there is no menu in the linux os to change the settings. i guess this has to do with the manufacturer of the dac rather than the linux os. (the music streamer ii has options to change frequency outputs in windows 7 but not linux.) i guess i should contact the manufacturer and see what their take on it is.

there is no menu in the linux os to change the settings.

Settings in linux are usually handled by configuration files. Precisely which ones depends on your distro and sound system (OSS, pulseaudio etc.)

i guess this has to do with the manufacturer of the dac rather than the linux os. (the music streamer ii has options to change frequency outputs in windows 7 but not linux.) i guess i should contact the manufacturer and see what their take on it is.

No - as AudioDoctor stated, if your DAC requires custom drivers, you are probably toast, if not, the standard config files (for your distro/sound system) should do it.

I saw this post and I remembered a how to I saw not too long ago on how to configure Ubuntu for audiophile use. It can't be that old, either because it uses the current version of Ubuntu. I will do my best to locate it and post the location. The only reason I didn't keep it is because I don't like the new version if Ubuntu at all. OP, I don't know what distro you know or prefer, but if it was Ubuntu, they take so many options out of the OS to make it simple, it ends up too much so. They went way too far; it reminds me of a poorly designed cell phone. If you are willing to try another distro, I am currently using Mint 12 KDE. A lot of people have not been too fond of KDE (Myself included), but with the current version of Gnome, I made it a point to start using it. After using it for the past 6 months or so, I like it very much. The people at Mint did a great job with it. I don't have time now, but I will post back later with the link I mentioned (if I can find it) and some info on using linux for audio that may help you out.

my music streamer II usb dac only goes up to 44k.1

Output of the linux lsusb command https://bugzilla.redhat.com/attachment.cgi?id=566729 shows the DAC supports natively 32, 44.1, 48, 88.2, and 96kHz samplerates, 16 and 24 bits.

whereas on windows 7 i was able to adjust it via a menu to 96k.

In linux it depends what playback software you are using, whether you are using a mixer daemon called pulseaudio, alsa mixer called dmix, or going straight to the sound card. In all cases it is possible to configure the chain for any samplerate your dac/soundcard supports, i.e. 96kHz in your case.

i have run ubuntu, open suse, mint, ultimate edition and am now downloading pear os. i just want to get away from windows entirely. linux identifies my music streamer dac but there is no menu in the linux os to change the settings. i guess this has to do with the manufacturer of the dac rather than the linux os. (the music streamer ii has options to change frequency outputs in windows 7 but not linux.) i guess i should contact the manufacturer and see what their take on it is.

I used Ubuntu, Ubuntu studio, and Lubuntu. Each one setup the USB DAC from within the player application. For example in Deadbeef, the application called on the device, and there were lots of options, surround mainly.

I remove Pulse Audio, since it creates more drama than its worth and use Alsa only. In the ALSA mixer panel, check the PCM output for the DAC is all you need to do. You may have to download the mixer panel, type in ALSA in the repository for installing new applications.

Method to remove Pulse Audio and install Alsa mixer alternatives (Written for Ubuntu):

Remove Pulse Audio

sudo apt-get autoremove pulseaudio

Reboot

Install Alsa Mixer

sudo apt-get install gnome-alsamixer

Check

gnome-alsamixer

As for setting up bit perfect operation, select the device in the layer application and you'll be apples!

The HRT II setup guide is plug and play under win and OSX, and if you follow the directions on the site, they don't apply to Linux. Setup the DAC from within the player software, which is kinda correct anyway.

For players, Deadbeef has vg SQ, Quod Libet, also cool.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

I used Ubuntu, Ubuntu studio, and Lubuntu. Each one setup the USB DAC from within the player application. For example in Deadbeef, the application called on the device, and there were lots of options, surround mainly.

I remove Pulse Audio, since it creates more drama than its worth and use Alsa only. In the ALSA mixer panel, check the PCM output for the DAC is all you need to do. You may have to download the mixer panel, type in ALSA in the repository for installing new applications.

Method to remove Pulse Audio and install Alsa mixer alternatives (Written for Ubuntu):

Remove Pulse Audio

sudo apt-get autoremove pulseaudio

Reboot

Install Alsa Mixer

sudo apt-get install gnome-alsamixer

Check

gnome-alsamixer

As for setting up bit perfect operation, select the device in the layer application and you'll be apples!

The HRT II setup guide is plug and play under win and OSX, and if you follow the directions on the site, they don't apply to Linux. Setup the DAC from within the player software, which is kinda correct anyway.

For players, Deadbeef has vg SQ, Quod Libet, also cool.

ahh ha! i am beginning to understand this now. i removed pulseaudio and loaded alsa-mixer and deadbeef and saw the dropdown list and chose hrt music streamer front speakers as my output device and it goes to 48k instead of 44k.1 (which i figure is an improvement). now i see how i need to select the dac from the music player itself as opposed to the pulseaudio or alsa settings. i appreciate all those who helped me out with this. this forum and especially its members have been very helpful. bigs props to you guys!

• 4 weeks later...
ahh ha! i am beginning to understand this now. i removed pulseaudio and loaded alsa-mixer and deadbeef and saw the dropdown list and chose hrt music streamer front speakers as my output device and it goes to 48k instead of 44k.1 (which i figure is an improvement). now i see how i need to select the dac from the music player itself as opposed to the pulseaudio or alsa settings. i appreciate all those who helped me out with this. this forum and especially its members have been very helpful. bigs props to you guys!

my suggestion is to use MPD and a front end like ario.

in the /etc/mpd.conf ... configuration file change the output section to something like this:

audio_output {

type "alsa"

name "HR Music StreamerII"

device "hw:1,0"

}

This tells MPD to play the files on your second soundcard ... I'm guessing you have an internal one and the hrt is showing up as the second. If that doesn't produce output then try "hw:0,0" or "hw:2,0"

also, to test from the command line for a specific wav file that you know is 24/96 or something else you can do:

aplay -D hw:1,0 "name of wavefile".wav

-- if you have any specific questions about MPD let me know as I have used MPD and hrt on my gentoo box for some time now without issue and bit-perfect async playback.

• 2 years later...
i am tooling around with different linux distros and my music streamer II usb dac only goes up to 44k.1 whereas on windows 7 i was able to adjust it via a menu to 96k. will i ever be able to get this usb dac to go to 96k running any distro of linux?

regards, dan

I know this is an old post, but I am curious of how it turned out and if you ever got the Music streamer II to go to its full sample rate? I am in the same situation, running Music streamer II+ at 48K and am investigating how to get deadbeef to play 24-192 files via the DAC at full rate.

So.. Any progress?

Regards

/Isak

I know this is an old post, but I am curious of how it turned out and if you ever got the Music streamer II to go to its full sample rate? I am in the same situation, running Music streamer II+ at 48K and am investigating how to get deadbeef to play 24-192 files via the DAC at full rate.

So.. Any progress?

Regards

/Isak

It shouldn't be too difficult. I have an HRT Streamer II+ that works fine at all sample rates up to 96k on Linux. I doesn't work with 88k because of a firmware bug, but that isn't anything to do with Linux. I use MPD rather than deadbeef though, and maybe that is easier to get working. If you use a music oriented distribution like Voyage with MPD, everything should just work 'out of the box'.

System (i): Stack Audio Link > 2Qute+MCRU psu; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

System (iii) KEF LS50W/KEF R400b subs