Hello.

I've got a pretty huge music collection (FLAC) on my computer, the Audioengine D1 and recently purchased the Pioneer SP-BS41's. However, what I am not happy with is my crappy receiver. Can someone recommend a receiver which will couple well with my existing set-up?

Also, once all set up, should I adjust anything on the receiver (stereo/mono, bass, treble, etc...) or, not mess with it?

Please, someone answer me!!!

Thank you.

VadersSon

And maybe a brief explanation of what disappoints you?....and if you wouldn't mind a description of your speaker placement and it's relationship to your listening position? Best to cover all the bases before purchasing something. Maybe you wish to go multichannel A/V later?........just a bit more would be very helpful.

Sorry. I guess that's a biggie.

I'm working with around $300.

Well, one with a lot of juice, those speakers are not very efficient at 85db. Have you considered looking used or vintage?

it will be hard to find a new one that is reasonable for $300.

For example, I recently purchased a very nice Marantz 2230, built in 1972, for $200 and could not be happier with it.

No electron left behind.

And maybe a brief explanation of what disappoints you?....and if you wouldn't mind a description of your speaker placement and it's relationship to your listening position? Best to cover all the bases before purchasing something. Maybe you wish to go multichannel A/V later?........just a bit more would be very helpful.

"...what disappoints" me...? Well, the receiver I have now (Yamaha HTR-5540) has so many different options that, I just don't know what to do with them all. As soon as it seems like I've got it sounding good, it sounds bad again. So, I tweak the sound (bass, treble, "Rock Concert", Jazz, etc...) but, really WHAT THE HECK DO I KNOW? How do I know what it really is supposed to sound like? I might get it to sound like what I think it should sound like but....I honestly don't know! I just want it to sound good.

One of the things that got me into audiophile music was learning that the mp3 files I was listening to in iTunes were crap. I played a 85% ripped mp3 up against a 24bit Apple Lossless and was STUNNED! Since then, I've been collecting 24bit stuff and replacing all my old music with it too. This might not be something y'all agree with but, in my (limited) experience, iTunes does just fine playing 24bit FLAC files as long as you turn off the equalizers, soundcheck, etc... Isn't there a receiver that does the same (i.e. no bells or whistles, just pure, original sound)?

My speakers are placed on top of my desk, just like the instruction manual told me to. Not too far, not too close. Not in a corner. Facing me just like they should be.

I don't know what Multichannel A/V is. I am still learning.

THANK YOU FOR REPLYING!!!

The receiver you have is a Multi-Channel A/V receiver.

It has 5 channels, and can handle both (A)udio and (V)ideo

here is a link to the Manual if you don't have it. http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/htr/htr-5540_black__u/?mode=model

read the manual and make sure you are getting the best out of what you have before buying another one.

No electron left behind.

Another question...

With which program are you getting iTunes to playback 24 bit FLAC, or any FLAC for that matter?

I'm actually playing 24 bit Apple Lossless Audio Codec (ALAC) files in iTunes. I said FLAC because I thought they were essentially the same. Are they not?

here is a link to the Manual if you don't have it. http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/htr/htr-5540_black__u/?mode=model

read the manual and make sure you are getting the best out of what you have before buying another one.

Thank you! It sounds like you think this might be enough. If so, what am I doing wrong? Can you give me any pointers?

I only use the receiver to pay music from my computer, in my office. I don't play videos. Obviously, I could also plug in a subwoofer too. Do you think I should be using a subwoofer with the Pioneer speakers I have?

I only use the receiver to pay music from my computer, in my office. I don't play videos. Obviously, I could also plug in a subwoofer too. Do you think I should be using a subwoofer with the Pioneer speakers I have?

here is what I think. I think that until you know for sure you are getting the best from what you have, spending more money on something else is a bit silly. So, read the manual, make sure you know what it does and can do, and make sure you have it operating the best way possible for your needs.

No electron left behind.

here is what I think. I think that until you know for sure you are getting the best from what you have, spending more money on something else is a bit silly. So, read the manual, make sure you know what it does and can do, and make sure you have it operating the best way possible for your needs.

Ok. I appreciate the advice. Thank you.

I'm with Audio Doctor on this. I'd learn more before I change anything. The set up you have appears fine (dac, AV receiver, speakers). The AV receiver is more complicated than a stereo receiver but it has some advantages when it comes to adding a sub since AV receivers typically have bass management features that most stereo receivers do not. It seems that you have ripped your music to a high bit rate so the problem is probably not between the computer and the dac. It may be that the settings on your AV receiver aren't right so that is why you'll have to read the manual. Also the speaker placement could perhaps be tweaked as well. In any case, you need to first figure out what it is that you don't like about your current set-up.

Macmini (as server)-> AE Express/SB Touch-> Dacmagic plus -> Outlaw RR2150 -> PSB Image T6 (dedicated 2 channel audio system)

Macmini (via toslink)-> NAD T747 -> PSB Imagine B/SVS SB2000 subwoofer (home theater)

Macbook Pro-> Peachtree idecco->PSB Imagine Minis, Energy ESW-M8 subwoofer, Beyerdynamic DT880 (home office)

IMac->audioengine D1 dac->airmotiv 4 (work system)

I'm actually playing 24 bit Apple Lossless Audio Codec (ALAC) files in iTunes. I said FLAC because I thought they were essentially the same. Are they not?

iTunes will not natively playback FLAC, it will with an add-on program. Yes, they are different approaches to the same end.

No electron left behind.

Hi Vaderson,

You seem a little bit frazzled; remember, this is supposed to be fun, so take your time.

Something I would do with your set up is check if your AVR has a direct mode. If it does, set it to that, and just listen to your music like that for a few days. Direct mode means that the AVR is not doing anything to your signal (the music file). If it doesn't have a direct mode or the equivalent (it might be called something slightly different) set everything to neutral.

What I mean by neutral is turn off all equalizers, tone controls, set it to stereo, turn off any enhancers and noise reducers, whatever. Then listen to your system that way. If it doesn't sound that good to you after awhile, try moving the speakers around a bit.

A really good book about setting up a stereo plus all the info about more complicated stuff re getting better sound is "Get Better Sound" by Jim Smith. It's not real cheap, but I highly recommend it. Setting up your system well can save you lots of money in the end.

He contributes here occasionally so you can search on him here.

-Chris

Hi Vaderson,

You seem a little bit frazzled; remember, this is supposed to be fun, so take your time.

Something I would do with your set up is check if your AVR has a direct mode. If it does, set it to that, and just listen to your music like that for a few days. Direct mode means that the AVR is not doing anything to your signal (the music file). If it doesn't have a direct mode or the equivalent (it might be called something slightly different) set everything to neutral.

What I mean by neutral is turn off all equalizers, tone controls, set it to stereo, turn off any enhancers and noise reducers, whatever. Then listen to your system that way. If it doesn't sound that good to you after awhile, try moving the speakers around a bit.

A really good book about setting up a stereo plus all the info about more complicated stuff re getting better sound is "Get Better Sound" by Jim Smith. It's not real cheap, but I highly recommend it. Setting up your system well can save you lots of money in the end.

He contributes here occasionally so you can search on him here.

-Chris

Dear Chris,

Thank you for your kind message and the great advice. I appreciate it and will give it a try. Thanks also for reminding me this is supposed to be fun. Yes, I suppose I do get frazzled! ;-)

Peace.

How do you have the Audioengine connected to your Yamaha receiver?

If you have it connected as Computer --(USB)--> Audioengine --(optical)--> Yamaha, then the Yamaha receiver is likely decoding the signal for you, not the Audioengine. The Yamaha can also impact the sound through the DSP programs (Bass/Treble adjustments, etc).

If you have it connected as Computer --(USB)--> Audioengine --(RCA cables)--> Yamaha, then the Audioengine DAC chip is doing the decoding, but the Yamaha can still impact the signal with its settings.

As crisnee suggested, the best way to eliminate any variables in the Yamaha (Bass/Treble/other DSP settings) is to use some sort of Direct mode. Looking at the manual, it suggests that pressing the "Stereo/Effect" button on the remote so that it is in Stereo mode will "direct 2 channel signals to the left and right speakers without effect sounds." Not sure if that is an absolute direct mode or not but that's a start I think.

To completely eliminate any and all DSP effects, here's a suggestion for you if you haven't tried already. Check out page 18 of the manual. If you connect the Audioengine's RCA outputs to the L and R input jacks of the 6CH INPUT jacks on the receiver it will ignore all "digital sound field programs" and DSP processing. As crisnee suggested, this would be your best shot at a Direct mode- the Audioengine does the decoding and all the Yamaha is basically doing is acting as a volume control. You can't muddle with the signal with Bass/Treble/other controls, and would be hearing as "pure" of a signal as possible.

Maybe give that a shot and see if there's much of a difference. You could possibly connect the Audioengine using optical as well and switch between inputs to compare the Audioengines DAC chip (as heard with the 6CH input jacks) to the Yamaha's DAC chip (as heard when listening to the optical input).

Good luck!

-Tyler

Office: iPod classic/iPad -> Shure SE425 IEM Home: Oppo BDP-83/Synology DS211j -> Integra DTR-7.8 -> Revel speakers

The last three replies may be the best responses I have ever seen in a audio forum. I only have a few posts here but am along time reader and poster on many other forums. These responses make me glad I found this place. Many times a newcomer is inundated with advice. Buy this...get that... Special kudos to the Audio Doctor, thrand1, and chrisnee for reminding all of us to slow down, think about what we like and don't like, try to optimize what we have before we rush to spend money and change. And most of all for reminding us that this is supposed to be FUN. Audio nirvana is a journey! Enjoy the ride!

Family Room: Panny TCP65S2, Panny BDP-55, DTV HR-24, SB Touch, Schiit Bifrost Multibit, Yamaha RX-V3900, Emotiva XPA-3, Rocket NM 550's, Rocket 150's, X-CS, UFW-10, Harmony 700.

Computer Room: Dell laptop, Uptone Regen Amber, Schiit Bifrost Multibit, Decware SE84C+, Zu Omen, ALO National, Mr.Speakers Mad Dog headphones

A correction to this post- the Audioengine optical port is an optical IN, not an optical OUT as I posted earlier. I thought the D1's optical helped serve as a USB to optical conversion interface, but I was incorrect. My apologies. The optical in can be used to feed audio from a CD or DVD player to be decoded by the Audioengine.

How do you have the Audioengine connected to your Yamaha receiver?

If you have it connected as Computer --(USB)--> Audioengine --(optical)--> Yamaha, then the Yamaha receiver is likely decoding the signal for you, not the Audioengine. The Yamaha can also impact the sound through the DSP programs (Bass/Treble adjustments, etc).

If you have it connected as Computer --(USB)--> Audioengine --(RCA cables)--> Yamaha, then the Audioengine DAC chip is doing the decoding, but the Yamaha can still impact the signal with its settings.

As crisnee suggested, the best way to eliminate any variables in the Yamaha (Bass/Treble/other DSP settings) is to use some sort of Direct mode. Looking at the manual, it suggests that pressing the "Stereo/Effect" button on the remote so that it is in Stereo mode will "direct 2 channel signals to the left and right speakers without effect sounds." Not sure if that is an absolute direct mode or not but that's a start I think.

To completely eliminate any and all DSP effects, here's a suggestion for you if you haven't tried already. Check out page 18 of the manual. If you connect the Audioengine's RCA outputs to the L and R input jacks of the 6CH INPUT jacks on the receiver it will ignore all "digital sound field programs" and DSP processing. As crisnee suggested, this would be your best shot at a Direct mode- the Audioengine does the decoding and all the Yamaha is basically doing is acting as a volume control. You can't muddle with the signal with Bass/Treble/other controls, and would be hearing as "pure" of a signal as possible.

Maybe give that a shot and see if there's much of a difference. You could possibly connect the Audioengine using optical as well and switch between inputs to compare the Audioengines DAC chip (as heard with the 6CH input jacks) to the Yamaha's DAC chip (as heard when listening to the optical input).

Good luck!

-Tyler

Office: iPod classic/iPad -> Shure SE425 IEM Home: Oppo BDP-83/Synology DS211j -> Integra DTR-7.8 -> Revel speakers