IGNORED

Is mini TosLink a compromise over standard?

Couldn't find and usefull info on how the surface area of the connection may effect data transmission. My first thought would be there's more than enough surface to transfer an audio file but...........it would be nice to hear thoughts from someone in the telecommute fiber industry.

If I may add some general advice: make sure to keep your optical connectors clean and properly aligned.

Optical cables carry light. Once the light is inside the cable, there is very little signal loss inside the cable, the connections are the weak spots. If the connector gets scratched or dirty with dust, (finger) grease or other dirt, the light is dispersed and the signal is degraded, so keep it clean, don't touch the end of the connector and keep the caps on until you plug the cable in. Also, if two connectors are not properly aligned, you lose signal. That's why I prefer metal connectors as they typically have a tighter fit.

An adapter or interconnect will also cause signal loss, so use one cable of the right length with the right connectors on both ends.

Finally, make sure to bend optical cables as little as possible and if you have to bend it, maintain a large bend radius and avoid sharp angles. Light travels in a straight line but is reflected on the outside of the optical cable, that's how the light stays inside the cable. But if you bend the cable too much, that reflection no longer works, so the light gets attenuated.

With careful installation and good connections, optical cables can cover very large distances. YMMV...

Cinematic[br]__________[br]Mac Mini/Meridian 588/Weiss DAC2/Transrotor Fat Bob+SME 3500+ZYX RS100+Pass Labs XONO/Pass Labs X2.5+X250.5/Martin Logan Summit

Thanx. To some degree, you've answered my question. A mini Tos connector has a substantially smaller window than a standard plug so in escence, less light ( or signal) will pass through the smaller opening. But whether or not there's enough degradation to cause jitter that may be audible is questionable. Unless someone's actually measured two identical streams through each type of connection, the remainder of my question will go unresolved until.

Thanx for the reply......good to know we have a fiber comm professional here on CA!

Sorry I didn't read your last sentence. But since I've got your undivided attention, maybe you could explain why surface area has anything to do with optical signal transmission.

A mini Tos connector has a substantially smaller window than a standard plug so in escence, less light ( or signal) will pass through the smaller opening. But whether or not there's enough degradation to cause jitter that may be audible is questionable. Unless someone's actually measured two identical streams through each type of connection, the remainder of my question will go unresolved until.

I think you are making two completely unwarranted assumptions:

1. The "window" is smaller than the highly collimated light beam, and therefore attenuating the signal. This is demonstrably false.

2. Even if #1 were to be true, that this would degrade a digital signal. This, too, is demonstrably false.

Put a little more effort into thought, and a little less into snark.

Couldn't find and usefull info on how the surface area of the connection may effect data transmission. My first thought would be there's more than enough surface to transfer an audio file but...........it would be nice to hear thoughts from someone in the telecommute fiber industry.

I can offer some personal experience with both types of terminations. I've found cables with the mini termination are much more prone to sonic dropouts and issues with high sample rates. Some audiophile cables that are heavier than the ones at Monoprice actually don't work for high resolution music. My guess is an internal line-up issue.

Using the mini adapters has been difficult as well.

The AirPort Express has worked much better with both built-in and mini adapter style cables than the built-in port of my MacBook Pro.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I think you are making two completely unwarranted assumptions:

1. The "window" is smaller than the highly collimated light beam, and therefore attenuating the signal. This is demonstrably false.

2. Even if #1 were to be true, that this would degrade a digital signal. This, too, is demonstrably false.

Put a little more effort into thought, and a little less into snark.

I also questioned if would degrade the signal. And I DID NOT state that the window is smaller than the beam width. If you wouldn't mind, in the future could you quote me accurately.

I'll choose not to fling personal insults as you have.....as the 'new' CA platform should be a new beginning of learning and tolerance.

I can offer some personal experience with both types of terminations. I've found cables with the mini termination are much more prone to sonic dropouts and issues with high sample rates. Some audiophile cables that are heavier than the ones at Monoprice actually don't work for high resolution music. My guess is an internal line-up issue.

Using the mini adapters has been difficult as well.

The AirPort Express has worked much better with both built-in and mini adapter style cables than the built-in port of my MacBook Pro.

Thanx Chris.....I've been reading up on the line up issue all day waiting for paint to dry in between coats. Seems like the lineup issue is more prevelent than I would have thought. Thankfullly the Optical cables in use in my systems do have aluminum connectors and Apple appears to have considered alignment with the Airports as the mini Tos is a very tight fit.

Still like to see some jitter measurements though. Stereophile did a nice set of measurements nearly seven years ago and from a networking, inexpensive unit, the results were surprisingly good from the digital out.

A mini Tos connector has a substantially smaller window than a standard plug so in escence, less light ( or signal) will pass through the smaller opening.

I also questioned if would degrade the signal. And I DID NOT state that the window is smaller than the beam width. If you wouldn't mind, in the future could you quote me accurately.

I just did. If less light is getting through because the window is smaller, it can only happen if the collimated beam has a larger diameter than the window, or if the thing is damaged so it is improperly aligned.

I'll choose not to fling personal insults as you have.....as the 'new' CA platform should be a new beginning of learning and tolerance.

Then get off of your high horse, and provoke your "mayhem" elsewhere.

Again, no you have not quoted me accurately. I provided no discussion as to the beam width presented by a piece of equipment or if in fact the beam was smaller or larger than said window.

Actually i'm pretty humble on topics I have limited or no knowledge of and yet confident with those I'm proficient.

I'm the one who started the thread a have absolutely no idea as to the beam width of a typical TosLink connector or even if it's a fixed spec, variable from manufacturer or changes with changes in content....but instead, your replies were empirical and actually not very helpful at all and yet you wish me to apologize for it.

Because you chose to respond so confidently to my first post, I assumed you actually were a telcomm guy but you chose to read it as sarcasm. Would you have me apologize for your perception?

But on to something useful.......does anyone have a link to the forementioned questions on the optical beam transmission from components Optical connector? Regretfully it's been a very long day and I'm feeling a bit lazy to weed through tech articles tonight.