IGNORED

RealVNC for remote access to your music server

A little plug here for the free version of RealVNC. It's a nice alternative to the JRiver built in remote control software and other third party products that let you control your music from other locations. Load the Host on your music server and a Viewer on the other PCs. You can then open a fully functional window containing your music servers desktop and run the music server remotely. Big advantage for me is being able to close the lid on my music server netbook and locate it with the rest of the components using short cable runs. One could also remotely operate a small footprint PC without a monitor in the component rack. Set up is pretty simple and only requires setting a password on the host and defining the IP addresses of the computers you are allowing access to.

A little plug here for the free version of RealVNC. It's a nice alternative to the JRiver built in remote control software and other third party products that let you control your music from other locations. Load the Host on your music server and a Viewer on the other PCs. You can then open a fully functional window containing your music servers desktop and run the music server remotely. Big advantage for me is being able to close the lid on my music server netbook and locate it with the rest of the components using short cable runs. One could also remotely operate a small footprint PC without a monitor in the component rack. Set up is pretty simple and only requires setting a password on the host and defining the IP addresses of the computers you are allowing access to.

I'll second VNC as a great option for Windows PCs. Note this functionality is built in to Mac OS X as "screen sharing", so no need for third-party software.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

A little plug here for the free version of RealVNC....

Hear hear, great app

For OSX a license is required, same deal, can operate a laptop in clamshell mode, and have full functionality to the machine. Works across Linux, Windows, or the net, the viewers are free.

I've used RealVnc for its industrial robustness for critical production and it works very well indeed.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Thight VNC can also be used on the music server. I started with it a few years ago and I connect to it trough Thight VNC Viewer. It's free and it works ok, but I have not compared with Real VNC.

With the Ipad, I need to have the Real VNC viewer app and it connects fine to Thight VNC on the server.

Alain