IGNORED

The New Jack White Album

Jack White.JPGI can't say how fans of The White Stripes and other Jack White ventures will react but for myself his first solo album, Blunderbuss, is great. Good songs well played and recorded, surprisingly for 2012, with ample dynamic range.
"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa

Have been waiting for this release for ages...

Check online for his recent SNL appearance where he has two backing band line-ups; one all female the other all male.

V.cool.

Naim 282/250/hi-cap/cd5xs/dac/stageline, mac book pro/fidelia/amarra hifi/halide bridge, rega p3/24, focal utopia scala

I'm liking Blunderbuss. I have a soft spot in my heart for the hard rock of Jack White. And here is what my FooBar2000 shows me:

foobar2000 1.1.9 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.0

log date: 2012-04-24 12:24:51

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Analyzed: Jack White / Blunderbuss

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track

DR11 -0.06 dB -13.88 dB 3:27 01-Missing Pieces

DR10 -0.02 dB -12.04 dB 2:37 02-Sixteen Saltines

DR11 0.00 dB -12.86 dB 2:52 03-Freedom at 21

DR11 -1.47 dB -16.08 dB 2:38 04-Love Interruption

DR12 -0.03 dB -16.08 dB 3:07 05-Blunderbuss

DR11 -0.05 dB -13.46 dB 2:50 06-Hypocritical Kiss

DR11 0.00 dB -12.53 dB 4:19 07-Weep Themselves to Sleep

DR11 -0.37 dB -13.16 dB 3:00 08-I'm Shakin'

DR12 0.00 dB -13.28 dB 3:20 09-Trash Tongue Talker

DR12 -0.01 dB -13.92 dB 3:03 10-Hip (Eponymous) Poor Boy

DR11 0.00 dB -13.98 dB 2:37 11-I Guess I Should Go to Sleep

DR13 -0.10 dB -16.40 dB 3:56 12-On and On and On

DR11 0.00 dB -13.10 dB 4:10 13-Take Me with You When You Go

Number of tracks: 13

Official DR value: DR11

Samplerate: 44100 Hz

Channels: 2

Bits per sample: 16

Bitrate: 836 kbps

Codec: FLAC

SERVERS: 3 ISOLinux and Ubuntu Linux (AIFF, FLAC, backup) + Windows XP Subsonic on static IP (MP3)

FAMILY LISTENING: iMac 8.1 (SSD, Snow Leopard, Audirvana +, ethernet) > HRT Streamer II > NAD 316BEE > PSB Image B6

MAN-CAVE: Homebrew HTPC (coreI3, SSD, Win 7-64, Foobar2000, JRiver Media) > HRT Streamer II > NAD T750 (stereo, bypass mode) > Polk Audio RTA IIt (speaker, DAC & cable upgrade pending)

HOME OFFICE: Homebrew desktop Win7-64 (core2 quad, Foobar2000, MOG) > ASUS Xonar Essence STX > Fischer FA-002

PORTABLE: iPod Nano, various Sansa > Ultimate Ears TripleFi10

Most Important Gear = Jim Smith's "Get Better Sound" book

I'm listening now (LP though). So far pretty good album. Sounds a bit more towards Raconteurs/Dead Weather style than White Stripes style to me so far, but definitely sounds like him (that's a good thing!).

Digital: Schiit Yggy + Gumby, Meridian Explorer2

Headphone: Woo WA22, Audez'e LCD3, Beyerdynamic T1

Amplification: Pass Labs INT30A, Focal 1027be

Analog: VPI Classic, Soundsmith Zephy, EAR 834P

LastFM: WharfRatJustin

Jebus' rosy red butt cheeks, this is a good record (er, CD)! Reminds me of the first two Led Zep albums.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

There seem quite a few vinyl/ComputerAudiophile hybrids!

;)

I'm listening now again - this is a pretty awesome album. I like the different feel of the second half as well.

Digital: Schiit Yggy + Gumby, Meridian Explorer2

Headphone: Woo WA22, Audez'e LCD3, Beyerdynamic T1

Amplification: Pass Labs INT30A, Focal 1027be

Analog: VPI Classic, Soundsmith Zephy, EAR 834P

LastFM: WharfRatJustin

yours too? I bought both, CD and Vinyl.

How do they compare?

I bought both formats of the last Dead Weather release; the CD was the better sounding format for me.

The vinyl just seemed to be a second generation copy of the CD and didn't sound like it was mastered for vinyl (but that's probably too much to expect!).

Naim 282/250/hi-cap/cd5xs/dac/stageline, mac book pro/fidelia/amarra hifi/halide bridge, rega p3/24, focal utopia scala

How do they compare?

I bought both formats of the last Dead Weather release; the CD was the better sounding format for me.

The vinyl just seemed to be a second generation copy of the CD and didn't sound like it was mastered for vinyl (but that's probably too much to expect!).

well, the CD is still in its plastic wrapping... I have listened to MOG and the Vinyl and obviously the Vinyl wins that contest. I will report back once I rip the CD.

No electron left behind.