gakaudio

Help putting together a music server

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Hello, my name is Garth and I am trying to put together a dedicated music server. I won’t be putting it together personally but purchasing it assembled. I intend to model it off of the CAPS v2.0 but want to do it as affordably as possible. I found a semi assembled machine on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Dual-Core-Embedded-NF96FL-525-LF-Motherboard-AD3RTLANG/dp/tech-data/B0061F5MPG/ref=de_a_smtd

I am a novice about the inside of computers and how to build it. What I’d like to know is if a machine like the one I’ve linked can have things added to it to make it a CAPS equivalent. Such as, can the box that this computer is in, accommodate the SOtM-tx usb card. I don’t plan to put it in right away but I would like the option to be able to include it as funds come available. In addition, do people see any issues with the computer that I’ve selected? Keep in mind that I will do some configuring like added memory and a SSD and such. Thanks for any advice, Garth

do people see any issues with the computer that I’ve selected?

In order to add the SoTM USB card, the mainboard will need a PCI slot, which this one seems to lack. Why not go for a Mac mini instead, it will need less tweaking to make a good server. Or save up for a ready-built CAPS v2.

In order to add the SoTM USB card, the mainboard will need a PCI slot, which this one seems to lack. Why not go for a Mac mini instead, it will need less tweaking to make a good server. Or save up for a ready-built CAPS v2.

Thanks for the reply. I think this is the same motherboard that is recommended in the CAPS v2.0 build article so I think that it does have a PCI slot. However, I just saw a reply to me over on audiocircle and I was informed that there is not sufficient room on the back of the computer to accomidate the SOtM-tx usb card

Hi Stuarth,

I have done something similar, building a music server, but also integrated it into one cabinet with a DAC, actually building a complete network player.

In the process, I have learned a lot and wrote down my lessons in a whitepaper which can be downloaded from my website:

here

It is not the only way, but perhaps it helps you making acouple of design choises. I have been a long time audio builder, but a complete novice to PC's so I started from a pre built, windows installed PC and dissasembled it. Now I would go the other way around.

It is a great learning experience, and the whole setup gives me a chance to experiment with different software (JPLAY, XXHighend etc) and different drivers and player settings, as well as hardware, mainly USB cabling. Sometimes there are difference, sometimes not.

I hope this helps.

-Edgar

Thanks for the reply. I think this is the same motherboard that is recommended in the CAPS v2.0 build article so I think that it does have a PCI slot. However, I just saw a reply to me over on audiocircle and I was informed that there is not sufficient room on the back of the computer to accomidate the SOtM-tx usb card

The case of your selected PC indeed doesn't have room for any expansion cards, so if you're looking to add SOTM or a sound card in the future, this will not be possible. Try to find a similar barebone system, but with a different case that may suite your future needs.