IGNORED

[Possible] Forum Issues

Wow, this new format is really cool, but so different from the comfortable old familiar format. I'm just bebopping around, and figured I would start a thread to list possible issues. Possible, because I am not sure if it is a feature, a bug, user error, or simple unfamiliarity with the way it works.

In any case, this was the most interesting (and scary!) advertisement I have ever seen on CA. No way I could bring myself to click on it! :) -Paul

ScaryAd.jpg

And on Macs at least, the attached image above is a wee bit tiny!

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Paul, I am surprised you are not using any ad-blocking software.

I know, it is kinda weird, but I like some of the ads. (grin) Usually trhey are pretty targeted, and since Chris doesn't take donations or subscriptions, I figure I can at least click through an ad or two occasionally. -Paul

Robert A. Heinlein

Got the e-mail with my new password, but I can't find anywhere to rest it it to something I can remember.

Sorry, figured it out; but now I can't figure out how to delete this post. ;-)

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>Holo Audio May KTE DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)

Paul, I am surprised you are not using any ad-blocking software. Safari has extensions, like Firefox, Ad Block is one of them. I use Ad-Block Plus and see no ads.

I too feel like it's a good idea to leave the ads unblocked here. I have an ad blocker and an individual image blocker too, but unless an ad is truly irritating (constantly blinking on and off or jumping around) I leave them unblocked on sites I appreciate.

I've noticed three things that may be problems or just stuff we'll have to put up with. All my subscriptions are unset, images in posts seem to have disappeared and all private messages have been purged.

-Chris

I too feel like it's a good idea to leave the ads unblocked here. I have an ad blocker and an individual image blocker too, but unless an ad is truly irritating (constantly blinking on and off or jumping around) I leave them unblocked on sites I appreciate.

I've noticed three things that may be problems or just stuff we'll have to put up with. All my subscriptions are unset, images in posts seem to have disappeared and all private messages have been purged.

-Chris

I gave it some thought, and decided to cancel the ad blocking on this site.

No electron left behind.

I have grown quite fond of having most of the threads I subscribe to email new content to me. I don't actually log into the site unless I am going to post something.

New system only sends one email per thread, and then won't send anymore until you login to the website.

Is this just a setting, or is it a "live with it" feature of the new software?

Paul

Robert A. Heinlein

I really enjoyed opening up old Computer Audiophile when the current topics were right there on the upper right side with the number of unread comments.

Third Floor: AE>Pioneer solid state integrated>Sony PS-x70 turntable>KEF 103.2 speakers

Second Floor: Intel NUC>LampizatOr GA TRP/LampizatOr Integrated Solid State amp>triode wire labs speaker cables & power cord and wywires power cords>vapor über auroras speakers

Old school: VPI Prime Signature turntable w/ Ortofon Bronze Cadenza cartridge and Technics SP-10 mk2

First Floor: AE>lifatec silflex glass toslink>schiit bifrost über>Kimber kable hero RCA>audioengine 5

I really enjoyed opening up old Computer Audiophile when the current topics were right there on the upper right side with the number of unread comments.

Contrarily, I love having the "What's New?" / New Posts option - let's me easily find *all* the new posts across all the various Forum threads - much easier / more attractive to me than the old little window approach.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

The "Whats New" list is dynamic, in that it only shows unread, and that is of course only for you, and when you go and read the thread the listing disappears from "Whats New". That's a double-edged sword in that once it goes away you need to go find it somewhere in the forum listings.

Ok.

Where do I setup to receive the posts in mail?

Upper right corner is the "settings" menu button. Go there and find the "notifications" area under My settings/general settings/subscription notification.

Then you need to go to the forums and find your threads (ones with green arrow) and in each one go to thread tools and add the thread to your subscription list (can do this in ANY thread, of course, but I'm starting with the more active recent ones I've previously joined...Mytek, SACD, Meitner, DACS, Audirvana, Linux, etc.).

Then you need to go to the forums and find your threads (ones with green arrow) and in each one go to thread tools and add the thread to your subscription list (can do this in ANY thread, of course, but I'm starting with the more active recent ones I've previously joined...Mytek, SACD, Meitner, DACS, Audirvana, Linux, etc.).

This step is not enough?

http://i41.tinypic.com/34fhff5.jpg

Have I to sign every 3ad?

This step is not enough?

http://i41.tinypic.com/34fhff5.jpg

Have I to sign every 3ad?

Going forward it is enough, but I also want to subscribe to my "older" threads, the ones I haven't replied to since V3. For those, you need to sign in on each. I am using the nice search function. For example, If I search on my own CA name I get a list of threads I've started. I can do those if I want; then I search on major topic names (as stated above..Meitner, SACD, etc). It's a pain, but it keeps me from having only one option: to come back to CA constantly to check "whats new" on previously subscribed threads I like.

Going forward it is enough, .
It's not working (or not working as I expected referring to the previous CA version).

I'm not getting any notification and/or text in the mail (es: now, your answers).

I think I need a further step (subscribe any single 3ad...).

Edit: Now received the email (Ted's reply)

It's not working (or not working as I expected referring to the previous CA version).

I'm not getting any notification and/or text in the mail (es: now, your answers).

I think I need a further step (subscribe any single 3ad...).

Mine sends email with text (like CA v2), like your answer and inquiry above.

Chris, will we ever get our message queue back? I was carrying on some good dialog with several folks, most of which were not nearly done. However, as with any thread or trail, I needed the previous responses to remind me where we were in the discussion. Not sure I can even remember the CA names other than a few (old age?).

I fully agree. It will be hard to keep the current cover look fresh every day; by putting the latest forum topic right on the first page there was always something to be interested in (at a glance and without further searching).

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>Holo Audio May KTE DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)

I fully agree. It will be hard to keep the current cover look fresh every day; by putting the latest forum topic right on the first page there was always something to be interested in (at a glance and without further searching).

Hitting New Posts will do almost the same, just keep New Posts as your home page for CA. Although I liked the old method, it was very limited in that only the five or so most recent topics were listed and unless you came to CA at the right time for you, you were likely to miss things you probably would rather not have missed.

-Chris

After a couple of days use, the new forum has grown on me and it generally is a big step forward. Well done, Chris!

There are many improvements over the previous site, but keeping to the thread topic of "[possible] forum issues"...

I fear many missing images have been forever lost in the migration, resulting in some old threads/posts becoming meaningless or confusing. :(

File upload size and image dimensions are extremely(!) restrictive. The previous forum's limits were fine and, indeed, generous in my opinion. Perhaps a compromise could be found? Otherwise we'll have the hassle of first uploading to another server then providing links in posts.

I fear many missing images have been forever lost in the migration, resulting in some old threads/posts becoming meaningless or confusing.

Maybe it won't catch many votes, but I'd go as fas as redoing the conversion, and consider the posts from the last days as lost (to make it doable in the first place). That will include my own posts, but what the heck.

Peter

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)