IGNORED

Article: Amazon Cloud Drive and Google Music Beta are DOA

Hello Chris,<br />

<br />

Thanks again for doing the research and sharing your findings. I have been a long-time Rhapsody subscriber, but I have signed up for MOG and will give it a try for a week or two.<br />

<br />

One of the things that I have really liked about Rhapsody is that I can download the tracks to local disk and then play them using Mediamonkey, foobar2000, or J.River using ASIO or Kernel Streaming drivers to my USB DAC. For whatever reason, this produces the best sound with the fewest glitches on my systems vs. using the (somewhat flaky) Rhapsody application or web interface.<br />

<br />

As far as I can tell, MOG does not support a similar model, and I have not discovered a way to configure the browser based player to use ASIO or Kernel Streaming. Although MOG should be streaming 320 kbps audio, the sound quality that I'm getting sounds a lot more like 128 kbps. If I can get the sound quality up to Rhapsody levels, this will be a great way to explore new music in addition to or instead of Rhapsody. Otherwise, I suppose that Rhapsody is not too bad.<br />

<br />

Thanks again.<br />

<br />

-- David<br />

I gather you guys are all talking US based services, I love Spotify here in the UK and Europe but I gather they are having trouble getting into the US. 1 million subscribers so far this side of the pond, 10 million users and 13 million tracks, 320kb for paying customers - the usual £10 per month including mobile app for iOS and Android :-)

Tim.

Qobuz -> Auralic Aries Mini -> Chord Mojo DAC -> Heed Obelisk SI -> Mark Audio Pluvia 11 Custom Built  Mass Loaded Transmission Line Speakers

Chris,<br />

<br />

Very nice review of all the available options. Although I do know that this site and blog relate to "audiophiles" we need to consider mass market. There was a day when only raw CD data files were considered "quality". Of course that excludes those who can't stand a digital sampling bandwidth limit and refused to drop analog audio (records.) For the mass market, convenience will dominate. Accessing licensed audio from anywhere (car, phone, PC and audio system) at any time...will win!<br />

<br />

I respect your position but it is more like the unfair situation with the spelling of words. If enough people incorrectly spell a word...it magically becomes...correct!

Speculating about Apple's iCloud at this time is pretty much a waste of time. Notwithstanding Apple's occasionally miserable execution of MobileMe, I suspect their views on ease of use, and what I see as a tester of the forthcoming OS, will end up delivering an improved cloud service. But as an audiophile, I doubt I will find much use for it in that realm. I use iTunes as my organizer, with Fidelia as my front end, but I long ago quit getting my music from iTunes. Still, I would bet that users already accustomed to Apple's ecosystem will find utility because of the integration within that ecosystem. But make no mistake, that iCloud will be much more than a music locker.<br />

<br />

I have zero use for the services you described here as music services, because I get my music differently. I have tried all sorts of cloud and streaming services, but the fidelity and the nearly inevitable presentation of some pain in the a$$ element just doesn't make it worthwhile. That's only and just me. Others obviously find merit in some or all of these. I get MOG; don't use it, but it makes sense.<br />

<br />

But for reasons a bit different from what Chris articulated, I agree that Google and Amazon's music clouds are DOA. Functionally, they are truly very, very poor. Being first to market is only an advantage if there is traction and sustainability in what is presented. Both from a licensing and functionality perspective, these two services fall very short IMHO.

All the toys are in my profile.

While both Amazon and Google's first cloud entries may be lacking, the trick is to launch something and morph it into the killer app for consumers. The real issue is buy a license...access anywhere and anytime without bothering or worrying about file management, copies or access!<br />

<br />

They will get there and the content owners don't yet see that this is the best deal for them...you can't illegally share what you don't need!

<br />

some web service on a pay per storage/time/event, via a cell phone, or smart phone…. But I just don’t get it.<br />

<br />

I often wonder why? And, just how smart is that practice?<br />

<br />

There is a time and place for everything. <br />

<br />

I believe it is true.<br />

<br />

Can-Heads can have their cake and hear it too by carrying along only a small notebook size case which includes a HP dac/amp, HPs, and a HDD.<br />

<br />

A fair sized laptop bag could fit into an overnight bag or surely a backpack, with quality active speakers, and a laptop with a 1TB drive, loaded with music and flicks too!<br />

<br />

2500 CDs fit onto a 1TB drive in lossless formatting.<br />

<br />

BTW… my HDD charges me nothing for this and will go wherever I want it to go.<br />

<br />

Were I to drive? Plug in my iPod to the car’s audio system! Again, no charge!<br />

<br />

Truth be told, if I’m going to pay for storage or subscribe to hear my own stuff at my very whim… I believe I’d care to pay to hear something I DON’T OWN INSTEAD.<br />

<br />

Pandora comes to mind.<br />

<br />

Vudu sells a brand new Blu Ray movie! Well, virtually anyways, you can watch it as often as you like via their site… as you get no hard copy sent to you… and oh yeah… from anywhere! Anywhere there’s a pc or a Mac you can log on with! Oh, and you have the priviledge to pay full retail too!<br />

<br />

I suppose there are reasons why anyone needs constant contact with entertainment, although I feel it a spin off from the addicted to texting, smart phone apps, etc., than it is anything else. It underlines the overt need for immediacy our culture THRIVES UPON.<br />

<br />

Exactly how meaningful a relationship does one then have with listening to music? Having my fav music on all the time, wherever, and whenever, would lessen my appreciation for it, and could undermine or distract my attention to where it should be… my work.. my family.. my friends… my ability to further safe driving practices… etc.<br />

<br />

Isn’t that why we quit listening to AM/FM radio? Didn’t they just play our favs to death?<br />

<br />

On construction sites I recall boom boxes being allowed from time to time… but no one listens to them, except maybe during lunch. Not if you want to keep your fingers, or framing nails out of your boots.<br />

<br />

If music is your ally at work. your tunes are on tap and you’re taking out time for digging them… deduct that time from your paycheck on payday. Unless you’ve made some arrangement with the employer you can devote your attention to outside things while on the clock.<br />

<br />

Casual music is abundantly prevalent, at every location. When I have developed the absolute need, or perceived desire for editorializing playlists for all of my life activities, and must be surrounded by it at all times… I’m figuring something is dreadfully wrong with me.<br />

<br />

Whatever the initial motive is within this endeavor, I’d say it likely is not the prime mover in truth, and only a smoke screen foor the actual instigator… quite probably it is my own ego, or some insecurity manifesting itself. <br />

<br />

I want what I want, when I want it.. and I will because I can. Purely childish behavior.<br />

<br />

Keeping music special, devoting special times for listening to the new disc or download… Well, now that has considerably more merit and continues my musical appreciation in a higher regard. <br />

<br />

It seems the more material and electronic conveniences bestowed upon us, the more we want of them, and there lies a darker truth. An eroding of our social strata. A lessening of our own tolerance and paitience levels. It lends itself too an undermining of our moral fiber as well. For us to side step traditions and their inherent charms and take the fast track to gratification at each and every turn, leads to a dismal and sordid destination.<br />

<br />

TIVO lifestyles have virtually implanted surgical blinders to our focus and our vision as human beings, and aids the reduction of our society to merely becoming human doings, and little else.<br />

<br />

Loving anything intimates an appreciation for it, not an unrelenting need for it’s presence . <br />

<br />

When one can’t do without a thing… isn’t that a dependency? An addiction? <br />

<br />

I’ll continue to appreciate and adore music, but I’ll not strive for co-dependency. I don’t feel I’m that crazy just yet. A couple more years perhaps.<br />

<br />

I’m actually looking forward to senility so I can cary my complete musical collection anywhere, and anytime on one CD! <br />

<br />

Well, it works for Goldfish! <br />

<br />

Lastly, I’ve enough exposure of my personal info online as it is… so one has to think about security too. Not just the venues access and security, but your own. It appears more and more these media giants, are more concerned with gaining subscribers than they are with protecting them! The list grows daily as to which website has been compromised. Meaning? You are compromised. <br />

<br />

A simple matter of paitience severely limits your own exposure with online music storage sites. It’s free too requiring only a pinch of fortitude. <br />

<br />

Such a deal!<br />

Do the blindfolded squirrels juggling knives in my head bother you? If so, talk to the Elves, it was their idea to arrange some distraction so my more formidable psychosis could remain hidden.

Office desktop: iMac ((Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) (4 GHz Intel Core i7) (512GB SSD) (32GB Ram)) => USB (Kimber Kable USB Silver) => V-Link 192 USB Input => V-Link Coax Output (AQ Sidewinder) => Schiit Bifrost Multibit Coax Input => Schiit Bifrost Multibit RCA Output => Schitt Pyst => Schitt Asgard 2 => (Audioquest - Mini-3) => Audioengine HD6 (slave connected with Audioquest Type 4 cable) (Pangea AC-14 Power Cord) (IsoAcoustic L8R155 stands) => Audioquest Sidewinders => Audioengine S8 Subwoofer

Couldn't agree more, but we are dinosaurs. Brings to mind the "kids" that can't do anything or go anywhere without ear buds! I wouldn't hire them either...and besides they have nothing to say that is worth listening to (of course this is probably because they never listen either.) One thing I can guarantee, on assembly lines in Japan, Korea and China...there are no ear buds permitted.

Mind, I do not totally agree with you. Music surrounds us almost 24/7, and I find listening to my own tunes preferable to Musak. (Does it not frighten you that the guy that thought up Muszak might be thinking up something else?) <br />

<br />

But it was a great post indeed. <br />

<br />

I also really enjoy your signature line. It is a plethora of cool stuff, though I admit to being just a wee bit disappointed when I figured out Elrod's were just cables. I had hoped they were magical, and perhaps, made by elves. Ah well... <br />

<br />

Yours,<br />

-Paul<br />

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

All these objections will disappear as time goes on. Within a year, every home in Korea will have 1 GB service for $27 a month, we'll get there sooner (or later). The major providers will provide whatever sample rate or encoding that the market demands. Just like the dozens of RISC architectures well swamped by x86, the minor players will disappear. You can either figure out how to make these work to your advantage or you can follow the lead of King Canute at the seashore. The tide still came in.<br />

<br />

Remember, volume and marketshare is the only thing that matters. Your high end $5000 dac wouldn't exist without the mass market for high quality IC dacs.<br />

<br />

Chris, your 3G, I upgraded to Verizon LTE, and I'm getting 20MB down, 7 MB up, competative with most wired offerings.

These days everybody is a twittering about an Apple patent that portends to show how to make audio more responsive by storing snippets on the local device in order to accelerate playback. I haven't read it yet, but one thing I know, as do you, before they get it going we will have almost universal 3G coverage for a reasonable price with family data plans and all at every dropping prices...and then Apple's elegant technology won't matter anyway. Bandwidth, storage and compute power all follow their own 1/2X cost every 18 to 20 months. Where there is interest and demand...it will be met. The tide will come...no matter what.

Thanks Chris for confirming exactly what my thoughts have been about these Cloud services. I could never wrap my mind around how these various services could be of any benefit to me. When I want to listen to my music collection, I want it served up in the highest quality on my own (constantly improving)system. I have not been using my ipod lately for anything but having music in the vehicle. <br />

<br />

I am also with your comments on music discovery, which is my interest in listening to iRadio streams (Radio Paradise) one of my favorites, which does not have advertising but does have some announcements concerning play list and raising some private donations to stay alive. They actually have to pay royalties to stream artist's music, one would think that would not cost them but it does. <br />

<br />

I did try using an app called Simplify Media to have on the go access to my own hard rive of music, while it worked I just found I do not want to listen to my music that way. So music discovery is my prime reason for listening to anything other than my own library and the bit rate/resolution of the stream is of less importance as I am not sitting down to give that critical listening. <br />

<br />

Finally, why on Earth should there be any licensing involved for cloud storage if all you are doing is uploading music you already own?

Chris commented: <em>"Based on Apple's history I'd say audiophiles shouldn't expect much from iCloud. I'd love to be wrong and announce to the world iCloud supports lossless file formats."</em><br />

<br />

Well, there's always the hope they would support Apple Lossless. Even if it wasn't, I wouldn't consider Cloud storage to be my <em>only</em> option for music listening -- it'd just be another way of listening, after my existing servers and iPods.<br />

<br />

The key to me will be how much storage they make available, and at what price. $1000 a year for 1 Terabyte doesn't appeal to me. If they could do it for a hundred bucks a year, that'd be fine.<br />

<br />

Bear in mind that users are still liable for data charges through their existing ISPs. If you're streaming lossless music 24/7, you'd probably run smack into the ISP's data cap limitations.<br />

<br />

The other question is: how will they prevent users from giving access to friends and relatives? In other words, what if I give you the password to my account, allowing you to stream a terabyte of music from my collection? I can see where the record companies would be nervous about this.

Paul, thanks for the kind words<br />

<br />

I agree we can always disagree... on anything. That's what mature, intelligent, self motivated audio nuts do.... albeit not usually without flames or passion, and sometimes without any notion of political correctness. The latter currently causes me enough irritation to reach for the Pepto. I've had my fill of the stayed, hypocritical and superficial posturing so many avow as a social platitude. I could just retch.<br />

<br />

I’d be more than remiss too if I did not congratulate Chris for yet another insightful discertation of modern man seeking an esier softer route to selfish concerns. Enlightening. Thanks Chris. I would personally never have known about such matters and am glad to become apprised regardless my own sentiments on the subject.. it is a sincere effort and I congratulate you for it. Really.<br />

<br />

Audio nuts IMO are and will remain the middle children at best, and often they are dismissed far too handily, and as well, quite poorly treated on occasion... even by the vendors we subscribe to!<br />

<br />

If economics has a lot to do with this new cyber range fire, and it likely do, please remember the Golden rule!<br />

<br />

He who has the Gold... rules.<br />

<br />

Owning the digital acreage and it's apparent abundance or pittance per square yard doesn't mean it translates to that value being streamed along to those who would have it so…. Or in other words… ‘us’.<br />

<br />

This is how $$$$ are made. Think about Andrew Carnegie. The steel magnate. His efforts drove down the cost of steel far below it's then selling price, but he out produced everyone else, becoming 'THE' primary source for steel.... in the world! he therefore could call the shots as he deemed fit.<br />

<br />

Likewise when America became the worlds top producer of oil! It was at $3 per barrel. During the Texas oil boom in the early 1900s, the price dove to mere pennies per barrel.<br />

<br />

Although the prices in vastly diferent markets were forced to receed initially, the entire of the globe was altered. The fashion and methods previously routine, were vacated and the new princes of these industries were able to demand eventually their own terms to those who were now on board with these industrial giants, and commercial avenues affecting their lives. Albeit in a far more positive manner than remote storage and immediate access of mere data. This resource is available now to anyone who owns both a laptop and a desktop… or stores data redundancy online.<br />

<br />

This new ‘let us rent back to you, your own stuff’ approach is the height of mindless self serving idiocyncratic logic. But it will generate cash flow. Substantial cash flows I’m sure.<br />

<br />

What statement does that make about us?<br />

<br />

The most major and duly considered difference from a century ago to today is much simpler a discovery. It’s us. <br />

<br />

Indeed it is our own society. People. Innovations, new technologies, and a vanishing geography which forces us to live on top of one another strangles any iota of innocence away from us. Cultural changes have redesigned us all . our values primarily, and our concerns for security, privacy, and we now are more an isolated people. A considerably different atmosphere lays heavily on us all in our present age. <br />

<br />

Doors which were left unlocked are locked today. Streets that were once safe and familiar are no longer. Children that used to walk to their schools or stops alone, now require chaperones, and guards. Even Halloween wears a mask that can cause grave concerns.<br />

<br />

These current business trends of predatory practices veer wildly away from the benefits, donations and contributions a former age of people have provided to us all. As time erodes mountains, ceaseless selfish concerns for immediacy have eroded ourselves, our vision, and our ability to grow towards a more enlighten mankind. <br />

<br />

what can be quite attractive initially can turn out to be something else in due course. Something drastically poor in concept and deed. Especially if it goes without scrutiny. Certianly if it is allowed to be a negative draw on resources, versus a contribution to them, or a replenishment for them Renting cyber acreage once appropriate redundancy is attained, is superfluous. Laughable. Serves little and solves little more.<br />

<br />

I find it quite doubtful and definitely dubious, to entertain the vendors of these online 'you store it you lock it and you keep the key to it' affairs are happily eyeing any subscribers with Terra Bit lossless content huge file type aficionados and their voluminous libraries. <br />

<br />

Rather, their looking towards the ipod plug & play crowd as that sectors buying dollars control both the majority and electoral college votes… in every state in America, and now, the the world.<br />

<br />

The devoted and enthusiastic audio hobbyist will continue to be left out in the cold. Ignored and disenfranchised as the world moves on merrily without him. He and she, stalwart in their own affairs, diligent, and erstwhile, are the enigmas of modern times. Those perverse souls who aspire to honesty and purity in the content which sets their hearts afire and lifts them aloft. Yep. We’re the duckbill platypuses. The Doe Doe of the 21st century. The curious side dish, never the entre. <br />

<br />

Our major problem? Past the we’re really nuts, bit?? Democracy. <br />

<br />

The world has gleaned one thing from the democratic ideal… if nothing else… the ayes have it! Or, the majority of the buying demographic gets favored and intended treatment, first and foremost.<br />

<br />

Watch as these cyber streaming lockers, explode on the scene right off, but are absorbed, dwindle, and are summarily extinguished in due course. <br />

<br />

I thinkit’s just another hoola hoop. The presence will linger on a mite longer than the big round tubes, given the sheer vastness of the numbers of possible clientele, but the fire will soon become embers People will figure out eventually, they can do this for themselves and at much less cost.<br />

<br />

The Bose crowd are a target I suspect. They are into a less personal, and uninvolved approach to entertainment where content reigns. A place where quality and effort are less than after thoughts. People aren’t people any more…. And the term ‘user’ has acquired an anonymous but ever present dread when it is thought of.<br />

<br />

The times they are a changin’…. Too true Bob. Way too true.<br />

<br />

Would have been nice were it all for the better… and much has been for the better, but it’s time to start ripping open the curtains, and peering straight into the face of ‘what’s really back there’…. And at ourselves.<br />

<br />

Global warming? Too bad.. but look! There’s a Terra bit iPod! <br />

<br />

Religious Gihads terrorizing the worlds population indiscriminately? Hey, how about those new 3D Tv’s? <br />

<br />

Sweat shops and enormous hikes for medicine as our health is being ransomed back to us? Gee… Check this out! I can stream Netflix on my Who-zit!<br />

<br />

We’ve gone from being the worlds richest country, where manufacturing saw no peer, to being one of it’s largest debtors and one that shoves it’s production onto distant shores. Oil manufacturers hike up the price on fuel at alarming rates and then reduce it partly back down to appease us while the end result is an unconscionable and unjustified rate increase, the world over.<br />

<br />

But it’s OK… Look! I can stash my music files online and pay for the privilege to surround myself with my very own music where ever I go! <br />

<br />

Wow… Lucky me. This took way more thinking than the Mu-sak fella ever came up with… but it took a lot of listening to Mu-sak to muddle enough minds so much so, they would not see this new tact for acquiring their hard earned $$$ as anything more than fun or a necessity. It isn’t and it isn’t.<br />

<br />

Now and then there’s a lemming that doesn’t leap off the cliff with the rest of the herd.<br />

Do the blindfolded squirrels juggling knives in my head bother you? If so, talk to the Elves, it was their idea to arrange some distraction so my more formidable psychosis could remain hidden.

Thanks Chris your excellent review on the much hyped cloud fashion. I tend to agree with you in most of your conclusions. Until most music labels don't offer 24-96 FLAC files for download and you can stream them without dropouts they'll not conquer the audiophiles' pockets. What I'd want as cloud service is a combination of my own music library plus the ability to discover new music quickly and easily, I think all cloud services have a long way to go as far as GUI is concerned. Personally, I still prefer to carry a notebook with a 500GB disk with 1500 albums in FLAC , than any cloud service.

Juan[br]DigiBit Team

Pandora... or do Pandora alone wherein you can choose your fav artists and Pandora mixes in similar but different musicians.<br />

<br />

But you are right.. quality will keep suffering along... although, given these notes here about online storage, it seems it's not the space that is pittiful, but the thruput, and mastering accessibility of OEM masters, and their final mixes.<br />

<br />

Whenever the major lables and that is where the focus should be aimed at, Sony, BMG, etc., open their eyes to simply enabling what they already have on tap for use in streaming content or downloads.... it's gonna be the same old, a bit better than FM maybe, as the commercials are less frequent online. <br />

<br />

Why the major labels don't take advantage of their hi res masters being privy to the buying public astonishes me routinely. <br />

<br />

Talk about another revenue stream just waiting to be exploited? C'mon! Stack 'em up, and serve 'em out! <br />

<br />

sheeesshhh.

<cite>I received my Google Music Beta invite today :~)</cite><br />

<br />

Haha, great. Your problem might be that you're under a too clear sky, so Google will find you by means of its own maps.<br />

With not too many tornados around of course (djeezz).<br />

<br />

The day it will happen to me will be anounced in capitals, but I guess Google will know by now that I'm not to keen on it anyway. Actually not at all, unless it is about shared processing capacity.<br />

<br />

But hey, the reason I post is to let know for this one time that I think it's really crazy to report so excessively about something 90% of us will not even have heard about in the first place (while it's a most interesting phenomenon or even "technique" really -> think Amazon).<br />

I must honestly say that halfway I had to stop reading because I had some work to do as well.<br />

So, let alone the investigation beyond it, or the checking for typos which is something I think is the worse.<br />

All in other words : hats off for that alone.<br />

<br />

But I also like to say that the drive behind it ("all sucks") is so (so) genuine, that I maybe recognize myself in being not objective about a thing, and freely can be enthusiast about something, never mind it's a negative.<br />

On this matter I want to congratulate you with the best "review" ever, read from a site which produces reviews once in a while anyway, but which other reviews undoubtedly take even more time on proper wording, for not being too much hurting, leave things in the middle if necessary, or praise where praise is needed without making the mistake of errors on the (maybe too) good judgement.<br />

<br />

Maybe my dutch doesn't come across as intended (isn't that too often the case), but in summarize I thought to let know that a day of one round typing alone should be appreciated explicitly by someone. "Nice review !" is not in place.<br />

"What a great work" is, I think, and although it is about the content in the end, the work itself deserves attention too.<br />

Well, here you go.<br />

<br />

Peter

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

Chris, for such an accomplished IT guy, I am shocked that you can't figure out how to stream FLAC (including High Rez FLAC) via Subsonic without transcoding. Just uncheck the transcoding box for your user account when you're logged in. Then set an "External Player with Playlist" under "Players".<br />

<br />

The concept is this -there are Users and there are Players. Users are you and me as individual usernames/accounts. Players are the methods by which we choose to stream...our chosen tools if you will, our preferred weapons :-) And each of us Users can and likely will have multiple Players. To wit, I typically stream to the beefy Mac Pro in my office and have a Player called "ExternalVLC"...guess what it does? When I click on the album or track in the web browser, it launches VLC on my Mac (or Windows, same idea), and starts playing as a playlist (even if my playlist is simply 1 track)...usually, i like to customize my own playlists in Subsonic, and then stream those. So, you want External Player With Playlist and then associate the .m3u that results with whatever player you like (Decibel, VLC, Play, Windows Media Player), whatever. The system remembers which Player you used last time you hit the server from that machine or device. It knows when I login from a Firefox browser on my Mac versus when I log in from a Windows machine using IE6.2, etc. etc. etc. So it will deliver whatever my choices are for those access methods. Similarly, when I use the brilliant iSub app ($5) on my iPhone/iPad to access my Subsonic server, it knows to do transcoding on the fly to deliver high bit rate MP3 from the FLAC's on the server, so it transcodes a 24bit/96 source to 16/48 MP3 at 320kbps...not too shabby, especially for a mobile device with suboptimal listening conditions, speakers, headphones, etc. But you'll see in VLC for instance that when streaming to a computer, you're getting the full 24bit/192KHz of say R.E.M.' In Time or Jimmy Cobb's Jazz In The Key Of Blue, etc. etc. <br />

<br />

Give Subsonic another try...I couldn't live without it. It is also very social, in that I have accounts set up for family and friends, and they have limited rights, but can stream to their heart's content to anything they want, with or without transcoding, depending on source device, etc. There is even a Chat tool so various users can rate music in your collection and share their opinions and simply just catch up with other family members while browsing the music site with perfect album art the whole time...BRILLIANT! <br />

<br />

I wait to see what Apple does in 2 weeks with iCloud, never say never. But for my money (free), I will not skip a beat, I will continue to provide streaming access of high rez FLAC, WAV, AIFF, etc. to family and friends and educate them on the benefits of having good quality speakers connected to the computer, the Receiver that their AppleTV connects to in the living room, good headphones for the iPad, etc. When you have high rez sources from the Net to access anytime you want, you find yourself wanting to use the best speakers or headphones you can find, right? <br />

<br />

Long story short, I am the Cloud, I got your Cloud right here! :-P<br />

<br />

Cheers mates. May God continue to bless Subsonic server! (Did I mention that video works now too on it?! Think about all those concert DVD's and BluRay's being up there for remote access to anyone by login, hmmmm...) Yep, I got that too, working beautifully. Air Video is still the king there, but Subsonic gives you another option and absolutely NAILS the music side of things.

<cite>Chris, for such an accomplished IT guy, I am shocked that you can't figure out how to stream FLAC (including High Rez FLAC) via Subsonic without transcoding.</cite><br />

<br />

Being in the mood anyway ... was it really necessary to put it exactly like this ?<br />

If you think so, well, it was.<br />

<br />

But coincidentally this is exactly what I just posted about, and I really don't care a bit; Better be genuinely enthusiastic (positive or negative) than squeeze into all kind of corners to satisfy all, including yourself in maybe making some mistakes. So, the mistake has been made (I almost predicted that), and although not contributing to the usefulness of it all, I still don't care.<br />

<br />

But then it's allowed to be improved like posts from yourself. So, we all read that too, and let's say it becomes part of the total "review". Isn't that a great thing (being open to it all). Allow me to thank you for this (yes, important) addendum.<br />

<br />

So ... No matter it's possible to stream lossless stuff, IMO this all looks nothing like "cloud computing" to me. For me, in this context, this would be about you being able to stream my music, me yours and in the end anyone's, without knowing the source (you) and thus just choosing it from a random database.<br />

But in the real context it should also work with the best SQ, ad I really don't see the opportunities for that (but lossless is a good start).<br />

<br />

My upload speed already isn't sufficient to support one lossless 16/44.1 stream, let alone it could be 100 (hey, I have over 25.000 albums sitting here, so I should be a source of some importance).<br />

But maybe the upload speed will be there at some stage ...<br />

<br />

As was said in the mean time, gapless playback is something just "needed". Maybe not physically for everybody, but at least it shows what it's really (technically) about. This, FYI, needs memory playback in the first place. Well, happy hunting for the players which really can do that.<br />

But give it time, and that will be common too.<br />

<br />

All 'n all, the kind of stupid thing is : this could have existed over 6 years back, if only upload speeds would have allowed it; The very first "network players" already allowed for it, if you only knew what to do (IP stuff). I really used it for mp3 back at the time, although it was peer to peer (meaning : no transparancy to the source), and I proceeded on it with my software. For I think 4 years just that is in there, but including that transparancy (for insiders : share your main Gallery to an IP address), but next all upload your Galleries to a shared space which never has been provided. Why ? no individual has (had ?) the upload speed anyway. Maybe today.<br />

<br />

But hey, today we have the technology of "owning" (sorry) 25.000 albums anyway, so I really wonder whether it's all needed in the end. Well, I know : movies. I just can't find the space to store them anyway, and what I have can not be watched. But sadly that needs some more bandwidth again, when streamed from the cloud.<br />

<br />

And I say : a cloud is not that one cloud which comes along with me whereever I go. It should be any cloud anywhere. A Torrent, but then for streaming.<br />

<br />

Ok, all nothing much new I guess, but maybe for another kind of summing it up.<br />

My view of course. Could be worth nothing (tomorrow).<br />

<br />

Peter

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)