IGNORED

Article: Bel Canto Design DAC 1.5 e.One Processor Review

sound unheard and absolutely love love love it. Glad to hear you preferred the 1.5 over the Benchmark though because that was my other (unheard) option.<br />

<br />

Cheers for the review.<br />

<br />

RS

Standard Mac mini 2010/iTunes (ALAC)/Pure Music & Pro-Ject RPM9.1/Ortofon Rondo Blue/Project PhonoBox SE -> Bel Canto DAC2.5 -> Acurus A200 -> Aphion Argon2 Anniversary/Impact500 & Sennheiser HD650 -> Comfy couch.

Hello Chris,<br />

<br />

The 1.5 was on my short-list of ~1K USD DACs. If it had been equipped with an "HT Bypass", there's a good chance I'd have one in my listening room right now. For those like you who are installing the DAC in a dedicated two-channel system, it sounds like a great value. Thanks for posting another great review!<br />

<br />

BTW, what's the "Tuner" button on the remote for? Just curious. :-)<br />

<br />

-- David<br />

was the analogue input for my turntable. It can operate in HT bypass mode. A bit more expensive but maybe worth the extra?<br />

<br />

The tuner button is to control a Bel Canto tuner. I guess the remote is a full BC system remote as most of the buttons don't do anything on the DAC.<br />

<br />

RS<br />

<br />

Edit: Ah, <i>was</i> on your list.

Standard Mac mini 2010/iTunes (ALAC)/Pure Music & Pro-Ject RPM9.1/Ortofon Rondo Blue/Project PhonoBox SE -> Bel Canto DAC2.5 -> Acurus A200 -> Aphion Argon2 Anniversary/Impact500 & Sennheiser HD650 -> Comfy couch.

Hi,<br />

<br />

Quote: <cite>Edit: Ah, was on your list.</cite><br />

<br />

Haha. Yes. My Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2 arrived just last week.<br />

<br />

I'm sure that the 2.5 is great gear...a bit out of my reach this time around though.<br />

<br />

Happy listening!<br />

<br />

-- David<br />

Thanks for the great review. I am a big fan of Bel canto products because they present music in a clear, natural and inviting way, i.e., nothing exaggerated. I am considering purchasing their top end DAC 3.5vb in the future.<br />

<br />

savjam

I just ordered a Bel Canto Dac 1.5 to replace my three year old Benchmark Dac1. I have been eyeing the Dac 1.5 and a few others since last fall and I have to admit this review pushed me over the edge. I realize that this upgrade may be a sidestep rather than a forward step in the upgrade cycle and I am fine with that. I will be using the Dac 1.5 with the Halide Bridge(BNC) so I'm not worried about the USB performance, although I will probably do a USB/Bridge comparison just for fun.

Mac Mini -> Pure Music 1.85c -> Halide Bridge -> Bel Canto e.One Dac 1.5 -> Classe CAP 151 -> ProAc Response D1

Is it sound better than Musical Fidelity V-link + M1 Dac as it is my current set up right now? I notice that both are using called ASRC for implemented jitter rejection. The M1 Dac + V-link gives me a punchy and more sound stage feeling when listening Apple lossless file with J River Media Center version 16. The vocal music from M1 Dac feel like a little behind and very silent background. If v-link is not connected, everything feel flatten and v-link is an important add-on for the whole system. Can Bel Canto sounds even better when v-link hooked up to the system? Is it worth just sell the M1 and get Bel Canto 1.5? Thanks.

-- Ken

I'm lucky to have the BC 3.5vb with the BC REF500 MkII amps in my system, using the CAPS server to pull lossless files off my Thecus NAS system. The sound is fabulous and compelling. I'm glad to hear that Chris liked the baby of the BC line, but now he should check out the big boy. Cheers. JCR

I am a fan of John and his products. How they look, function and just pretty much everything about them. Bel Canto's offer a lot! I would certainly put the 1.5 on a short list. Wyred 4 Sound would be on there as well.

Frank Mercurio[br]Brisbane, Australia[br]Bel Canto S300IU | 2009 Mac Mini | 750g miniStack | Audio Physic Yara | Blue Circle Thingee DAC | Bryston Speaker Switch | ERA Design D4 | Signal Cable Speaker wire | Belkin Pro USB cable | iTunes | Play (FLAC) | iPhone w/ Remote App

Chris, <br />

<br />

Did you try the Halide Bridge or V-link with the BC DAC vs the inbuild USB input ? That would be an interesting comparision. <br />

<br />

The MF V-DAC, which also uses ASRC, sounds better via The Bridge than its inbuild adaptive USB input.

Adam

PC: custom Roon server with Pink Faun Ultra OCXO USB card

Digital: Lampizator Horizon DAC

Amp: Dan D'Agostino Momentum Stereo

Speakers: Magcio M3

This is slightly off topic but does relate to the DAC 1.5. When I ordered this DAC I foolishly assumed that one of the Coax inputs had a BNC connector to be used with my Halide Bridge converter. I guess I thought all of the BC Dacs included a BNC connector. The Bridge does come with an RCA adapter which I can use but I’m concerned about signal degradation using an adapter. Anyone know what chances I have to exchange the Bridge for an RCA model if I am about 10 days passed the 60 day return policy? Any suggestions on a high quality BNC to RCA adapter in the event I cannot exchange the Bridge? I have not found any adapters online other than the cheap bulk pieces used for commercial applications.

Mac Mini -> Pure Music 1.85c -> Halide Bridge -> Bel Canto e.One Dac 1.5 -> Classe CAP 151 -> ProAc Response D1

As I mentioned " I foolishy assumed" that one of the coax inputs was a bnc connection. I dont see how price has anything to do with including a bnc input when Chinese dacs provide them for less than $300. I have no issues with BC not including BNC on the Dac 1.5 I just want to maximize the sound from my current setup without spending a lot of money replacing equipment or cables.

no problem and feel free to plug it in anyway:) As a rule of thumb if USB 1.0 up to 24/96 is supported on a Mac and Windows without drivers it's likely supported under most Linux distributions. If USB 2.0 up to 24/192 is supported on a Mac without drivers it's likely supported under certain Linux distributions only. I know USB 2.0 is supported on the current Vortexbox, Fedora 14, current Voyage-MPD and the like. Keep in mind though that plug and play and properly configured are two different things regardless of the operating system!<br />

<br />

Jesus R<br />

www.sonore.us