IGNORED

Article: Musical Fidelity M1DAC, M1HPA, and V-Link Async USB Converter Review

Thanks for the review Chris, very informative. Thanks also for the comment about separate software installation - ouch!<br />

<br />

One question: those of us who have a mac can use the firewire port and firewire convertors instead of usb. Assuming we accept the limit of 24/96 through usb, could it make sense to add a V-link USB-to-S/PDIF to the chain? Am intrigued to test this little baby with the Weiss DAC2.

Chris, like Firedog I think some comparisons would be useful especially with the DAC portions. How does M1DAC compare with Arcam rDAC (and others)? How does the V-Link compare with M2tech HiFace and Asus HDAV 1.3 Slim (both price comparable)?<br />

<br />

A couple of thoughts... <br />

The fact you saw little difference between optical and co-ax can infer two things. (1) despite no galvanic isolation on the output of the V-Link isolation on the inputs of the DAC may be good and (2) MF have paid attention to both outputs and (maybe) TOSLink doesn't have to be inferior. It may be interesting to see similar comparisons with other DACs. <br />

<br />

Also you mentioned 16/32. I believe that DAT in LP mode used this. <br />

<br />

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Chris-<br />

<br />

I'd be interested in comments on the DAC as a standalone DAC, as compared to other recent DAC's on the market: Arcam r,Benchmark, etc. Many of us already own USB>SPDIF or FW>SPDIF converters and probably wouldn't buy the V-link also.<br />

<br />

I have the older X-DACV3, which IMO stands up pretty well with other DACs near it's price. I'd like to hear what you and others think of the M1DAC and if it's a value for the money player in the DAC marketplace.<br />

<br />

Just an additional thought. Kudos to MF for the Headphone Pre that is also useful as a high quality - if basic - system preamp. That's the second model like this they've come out with in the past few years. While $799 may not make it an "inexpensive" component, it certainly isn't very much money for an audiophile quality pre/headphone amp. And it gives audiophiles on a budget a good alternative until they can afford something in the more extreme high-end.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

"I'm really looking forward to comparing the new Grace Design M903 to both the Benchmark and Musical Fidelity components." <br />

<br />

I can't wait for this comparison either. This market segment is my price point and I use headphones a lot so am attracted to all of these products. <br />

<br />

I wonder when the M903 will start shipping...<br />

nice write up Chris. i would be interested in comparisons of the V-Link to both the HiFace, and the Halide Design USB-->SPDIF converters. once you add cables to the HiFace and MF, the costs is comparable to the Halide.<br />

<br />

also, has MF stated why the persist in Adaptive USB technology on their other products, when they have superior Async technology available?

Drobo-->FW800-->Mac Mini-->iTunes--Squeeze Center-->Transporter + 2 Booms[br]Transporter-->Nordost Red Dawn-->Krell S300-i-->Ocos-->Vienna Beethovens[br]Mac Mini-->HiFace-->Wireworld Silver Starlight-->Meridian 561-->Krell

I've just ordered a V-Link and Black Cat Veloce cable to go with it - I can't see how I can go wrong at the price (100 UK pounds). I'm really looking forward to trying it out with my CD player, as I wonder how much difference using a computer as a transport will make. I've preferred listening to my HRT Streamer recently and it will be interesting to see how the sources compare when they are both being driven by asynchronous USB off my MacBook.

System (i): Stack Audio Link > Denafrips Iris 12th/Ares 12th-1; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

System (iii) KEF LS50W/KEF R400b subs

System (iv) Technics 1210GR > Leak 230 > Tannoy Cheviot

I'm a little confused, is the V-Link truly an asynchronous USB device as per example the rDAC USB input which is built with dcs technology? My understanding is that the TAS1020B USB controller only works at 24/96 when it's used with CEntrance firmware, and that is is still adaptive mode USB. Or has MF really developed their own custom solution? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Chris

I think Gordon Rankin (the pioneer of Async USB DACs) Streamlength code runs on tha same TAS1020B USB controller. It's just about how it's programmed. <br />

<br />

Eloise

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

Do I get it right? - <br />

<br />

If I have a Benchmark DAC1 HDR (fed from MacMIni optical), by adding a Vlink (macmini usb out - vlink - optical - dac) I can have the benefit of asynchronos USB, i.e. lower jitter?<br />

<br />

Or, same question split in 2:<br />

<br />

- does the vlink remove/reduce jitter (vs other non-asynchronos impelmetnations)<br />

<br />

- if so, should I expect a noticeable improvement in sound if I add it between the mac and the dac? <br />

<br />

Can the vlink be a '100GBP asynchronos upgrade to the Benchmark"?<br />

<p><b>Krisbee: </b><i>"..Or has MF really developed their own custom solution? Please correct me if I'm wrong.."</i></p><br />

<br />

<p>Yes, Musical Fidelity have developed their own implementation of Asynchronous USB for use in the V-Link. Unfortunately the link in the review to the V-Link on the Musical Fidelity website doesn't work, and I found that info while searching and deciding whether or not to order a V-Link. I haven't been able to find out exactly which website it was on though. I've no idea what USB controller chip they are using, but I trust MF to deliver something that will work well.</p>

System (i): Stack Audio Link > Denafrips Iris 12th/Ares 12th-1; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

where did you order the v-link? it's still not listed on the MF (US) Site, and doesn't show up on Amazon.

Drobo-->FW800-->Mac Mini-->iTunes--Squeeze Center-->Transporter + 2 Booms[br]Transporter-->Nordost Red Dawn-->Krell S300-i-->Ocos-->Vienna Beethovens[br]Mac Mini-->HiFace-->Wireworld Silver Starlight-->Meridian 561-->Krell

<p><b>netchord: </b><i>"..where did you order the v-link?"</i></p><br />

<br />

<p>From Audio Affair in the UK, and so I hope they've actually got them in stock.</p>

I was told by a (UK) dealer the V-Link should be available in February. I think Chris got a demo from Musical Fidelity's US importer. <br />

<br />

Eloise

Eloise

---

Richard et al ..<br />

<br />

I did a bit more web searching and found that the new MF V_link has been reviewed in UK's Hifi News. Which apparently states :"The V-Link is 24 BIT 96 kHz asynchronous USB to S/PDIF converter. It is an exclusive in-house, Musical Fidelity development. The V-Link offers perfect performance from USB. Jitter is eliminated. Data transfer is perfect. It really, really does the job." and "The V-Link has been designed from the ground up to offer perfect and consistent performance. It will work with a huge range of computers and operating systems. Extreme attention has been paid to all the detailed programming to ensure rock solid consistency. The low jitter power supply feeds an ultra high precision clock which is positioned almost on top of (in PCB terms at least) the V-Link’s vital components. This achieves extremely short tracks and ultra accurate clocking.<br />

<br />

Our selected I2 Bus to S/PDIF converter ensures jitter free precision conversion.<br />

<br />

The V-Link has Musical Fidelity’s unique proprietary asynchronous digital control system feedback technology software. When added to all the other elements, it produces virtual perfection. The V-Link (24 bit 96 kHz) produces performance equal to the most expensive and the most exotic on the market. It’s true!"<br />

<br />

So I guess it does have a custom implementation of Asynchronous USB.<br />

<br />

As to availabilty in the UK, the best I can find out is that it is due for relase on 4/2/2011 in the UK. It's definitely one to watch, and with no OS drivers needed, it is Linux compatible.<br />

Chris

I'm curious as to why MF followed up the relatively recent release of their M1DAC with the V-Link (a completely different line) and didn't implement the async USB into the M1???<br />

<br />

Bill

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

Mac Mini->Roon + Tidal->KEF LS50W

Unfortunately, a lot of people had trouble with the OCZ. 8/31 on Amazon gave it terrible marks.<br />

<br />

http://www.amazon.com/OCZ-Technology-Vertex-2-5-Inch-OCZSSD2-2VTXE120G/product-reviews/B003NE5JCO/ref=cm_cr_pr_hist_1?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&filterBy=addOneStar<br />

<br />

Comments mention poor tech support and customer service.<br />

<br />

Who's had a really reliable SSD? And, if needed, good customer service? <br />

<br />

Anybody using Kingston? I had great service in the past with their flash drives, RAM, etc. but never tried SSD.<br />

<br />

Thanks.<br />

<br />

Laurence<br />

<br />

MG555

<i><br />

"My understanding is that the TAS1020B USB controller only works at 24/96 when it's used with CEntrance firmware"<br />

<br />

Where did you hear this?<br />

<br />

Since everyone(except Benchmark)knows adaptive USB transfer doesn't perform as well as async I don't understand why any company would even make a non-async DAC. Not like it's rocket science anymore.<br />

Chris,<br />

<br />

You are right. I'm guilty of skimping when reading your review having discovered the new V-Link was based on the TAS1020B USB controller and spending more time looking at the chip's datasheet and thinking that MF would have licensed someone else's firmware to run on it, like Bel Canto's USB link device (the MF product even has a similar name). <br />

<br />

There's nothing wrong with your write up. Once the V-link hits the retail channels I'm sure more reviews will soon surface, hopefully with a side by side comparison to some of the other popular USB audio interfaces. <br />

<br />

I'd had to give the hiface a miss as they did not (nor will they, as far as I can tell)develop Linux drivers for it. MF's V-Link device is attractive as it can function without OS drivers and using it with Linux is no barrier. So we effectively get an external USB sound card with the benefits of asynch technolgy for getting audio out of a laptop to an external DAC at a reasonable price.

Chris

The obvious comparison at the V-Link price is the hiFace. But to go a step further, how does it compare to even more expensive converters? This is the context in which the hiFace was reveiwed here on CA a few months ago.<br />

<br />

In his review of the hiFace Chris subjected this device to extended listening and scrutiny with the ultimate conclusion based on how it performed relative to much more expensive converters. Chris felt the hiFace fell short because it was noticably inferior to the Lynx card, Halide Design Bridge, and perhaps others (as his review stated there were "several asynchronous USB to S/PDIF converters" that he used for comparison).<br />

<br />

But there's no such comparison or reference point for the V-Link. The conclusion seems more along the lines of simply "I liked it alot and plus there's no software". <br />

<br />

How does the V-Link stack up against the competition?

Rance

Where did you find out that adaptive USB doesn't perform as well as async? Have you got any technical results from any test you carried out to back up that claim? So far all that can be found on the net about the alleged superiority of async are the claims made by the original person who did the initial work on the software. Actual a-B testing by many, including quite a few DAC manufacturers, have not substantiated the claim that async is better. What does better mean anyhow? <br />

Wake up and smell the coffee I say.

Dear Sensei - You joined Computer Audiophile a few minutes ago and left a single comment that follows an identical pattern of people with an agenda. <br />

<br />

Upon further review it appears I am correct. <br />

<br />

1. Your email address is [email protected]<br />

2. giftsandbits.com is registered to Stanley Beresford, UK manufacturer of Adaptive USB products.<br />

3. You are accessing this site from an IP address owned by UK ISP Virgin Enterprises Limited (virginmedia.com), the same ISP as [email protected].<br />

<br />

<br />

Readers who wish to do their own homework to prove this right or wrong and start with these Whois Domain Lookups. <br />

http://whois.domaintools.com/giftsandbits.com<br />

http://whois.domaintools.com/beresford.me<br />

http://whois.domaintools.com/homehifi.co.uk<br />

<br />

Now that we've established your real identity as Stanley Beresford, the manufacturer who has been banned from nearly all Internet audio sites not owned by Stanley Beresford, your account has now been banned by Computer Audiophile. Please don't come back.<br />

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I stand impressed!<br />

<br />

Bravo, Chris, Bravo!!!

Oyen Digital Mini-Pro 1TB HDD->Wireworld Starlight USB cable->Auraliti PK90->W4Sound USB cable>SOtM dx-USB HD USB to SPDIF Conv.-> Black Cat SilverStar 75 digital cable->Wyred4Sound Dac2->Cardas Quadlink XLR balanced cables->Anthem 225 integrated amp->Straightwire Rhapsody S->PSB Imagine T speakers