IGNORED

Article: Gefen Digital Audio Extender Review

Hi Chris<br />

<br />

Good to see you reviewing everyday utilities as well as the glamorous hardware!<br />

<br />

As I've yet to wire the computer into the audio and I'm still at the theoretical stage, one thing puzzles me. If the DAEs are bit perfect, how come they have a sonic signature? Is this likely to be an interfacing problem of some sort or does the DAE cause jitter?

Ethernet (or WiFi) is surely the way to connect digital audio components together. The protocol practices handshaking, so error correction is assured. USB, Firewirse and S/PDIF do not, and all three have a smaller bandwidth.

Brian

Squeezebox Classic - Beresford Caiman-Gator DAC - Quad 520f with Dada refresh - Quart 980s German Tower Loudspeakers.

Yes, I am beginning to think a friend in the computer industry is good to have, to cast a sober eye over some of the computer offerings from the audio industry. (It works both ways - mine was explaining why higher priced optical cables are a good idea in some applications.)

For those of you who want to use USB over a long rub, do NOT use these or any other Cat5 extenders. I have this from a Guru, Gordon R. over at Wavelenght who is a expert.<br />

<br />

Use USB of fiver optics. Here ios a link to help: http://www.opticis.com/english/02_product/product03_01.htm<br />

<br />

<br />

Use a cat5 extender will add jitter. Use the fiber link and no jitter will be added!

Powerbook G4 15 inch Aluminum, \"Fidela,\" M2tech EVO (BNC)with RF attenuator,dedicated PSU, Stereovox XV Ultra (BNC) Audio Note Dac Kit 2.1 Level B Signature Upgraded to 12AU7 tubes, ARC SP-16L Tube preamp , VAC PA100/100 Tube Amp), Vintage Tubes, Furutech ETP-80, (Alon 2 Mk2, (upgraded tweeters, Usher Woofers), Pangea Power cords, Omega Micro Active Planar PC. Signal Cable Silver Resolution ICs.

Hi Chris,<br />

<br />

Excellent product and review, as usual.<br />

I'll buy one as soon as my flat is set up with ethernet everywhere.<br />

<br />

In a perfect world, the same product with one usb box at one end would be a must-have.<br />

I mean something like the trend audio box, but bit-perfect 96khz capable, and extended with the ethernet capability.<br />

<br />

As you said, that would make me the most powerful sofa audiophile.<br />

Maybe you can make this happen Chris :).<br />

<br />

Labarum ethernet(/wifi) is no protocol specification. It's just the physical path to your signal.<br />

Unfortunately, most ethernet(/wifi) capable electronics are streaming the data, using UDP (which is a protocol) that is far from being error free (it just sends the packets, you are not even sure that they reach the other end in the correct order, or at all).<br />

<br />

Elp.

This looks like a pretty nice thing to try out since my Squeezebox will not support anything above 24/48. Everything over that will be downsampled to 24/48.<br />

<br />

Perhaps this is considered a bit off-topic, just felt that I needed to comment on the below statement though.<br />

<br />

:)<br />

<br />

<cite>The Squeezebox is also limited to 16/44.1 and requires use of the Logitech Squeeze Center software.</cite>

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...