IGNORED

The Never Ending Equipment Cycle: Speakers

Well, last Saturday, my much loved better half announced to me that she really didn't like the sound of the Maggie 1.7s as much as I do, and worse, they were just too damn big for the living room. Turns out she is a little intimidated by the "right there in your room" way the Maggies sound.

Trainwreck. Since the new preamp is in and breaking in, I had planned to buy one more component (i.e. upgrade the DAC... ;) and then stop buying much of anything other than music. Now I need to do something about speakers. Again.

Don't misunderstand, I love the Maggies, but... I love Karen more. And it is far more fun to sit and listen with her, even with somewhat less capable speakers, than it is to listen to perfect music alone. But there has to be something out there that will be a good compromise, giving both of us a sound that thrills us to listen to. Goosebumps as a friend says. :)

Phooey. In the interest of domestic tranquility and a distinct desire to avoid conflict with the one person in the world who really knows how to "get my goat" when she wants to, the little PSB Imagine B's are in the living room.

Let me tell you, they sound good driven by the Oddysey equipment. :) But, not good enough!

The Maggies are going upstairs to my laboratory, or perhaps to a new home. I don't know yet. I really don't want to sell em, but I also really don't want to drive them with anything inferior to the equipment downstairs.

I also can't afford those TAD Reference or Magico Q1s I dream about. :)

So, suggestions are open folks. What should I be looking at in a stand mounted monitor speaker? Price range only up to about $2500. (i.e. The price of the Maggies.)

I'm partial to PSB Synchrony 1s of course, though I don't know if they will sound $1500 better than the Imagine Bs. Nothing is going to be flawless in this price range, but imaging and clarity are important. I can live with a slightly rolled off top, so long as cymbals image clearly and shimmer like they should.

I am also thinking about the Odyssey Speakers, though the stand mounted bit may preclude the models I really like the most.

-Paul

P.S. I forgot to mention that they will need to be close to a wall, no more than 12" - 16" from the rear of the speaker to the wall. Thanks for all the great suggestions so far! -Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

I own a set of Imagine B's as well and like them very much. I did audition some Synchrony Two towers but they didn't do much for me considering how much they cost. So it didn't really inspire me to hunt out any Synchrony bookshelves for a demo either.

Even though the Imagine B has a good midrange, I felt female vocals and top end detail such like could be a bit better. So now I am using a set of Monitor Audio GX50's as my fronts. They certainly have what I was looking for in the top end, but they sound a bit weak in the midrange compared to the Imagines. If I had to live with just one set it will be a hard choice... but I probably would keep the GX50's because of the detail and natural realism of their top end.

I haven't had a chance to listen to any ATC 2-ways yet... but maybe from what I'v read, they have good midrange and a good top end..???

Paul,

In the price range that you want - $2500 with a small footprint I would recommend the Evolution Acoustics MM Micro One stand mounted monitor speaker. They retail for $2000 a pair (and $2500 with the matching stands). I heard these at CES in January. They are very impressive speakers regardless of the price. You would be hard pressed to find anything that will sound this refined at this price point (I doubt very much that PSB speakers at this price point will match the Evolution Acoustics). Here is a link to a picture:

http://www.stereophile.com/content/lithe-alluring-playback-designs-evolution-acoustics-dartzeel-wave-kinetics-channel-d

As built by Jim Salk at Salk Sound would have what you're looking for, I think, and without the rolled off top end. I haven't heard the Maggies, but I've heard a lot of PSBs including the higher-end standmounts. From what I know about the Maggies (from reading) I think you'll be disappointed in the long run with the PSBs. The Ellis speakers are inefficient and fairly finicky about amplification, although they don't necessarily like lots of watts. I'm running them with a Musical Fidelity X-t100; I think they rather like the tubes. I have read of a few people quite happy driving them with Odyssey amps, though. They have handbuilt cabinets which look fantastic. Retail starting at $1999.

Good luck in your search!

Mac Mini (+Tidal +Roon) -> WiFi -> Lyngdorf TDAI1120 ->JM Reynaud Lucia (Tellurium Q Black v2)

Take a look at JBL 6332.

Or something from Tekton, like the Lore.

Regards,[br]Rob McCance[br]Audiophile, Engineer for Cadence Design Systems, and Founder of Atlanta Real Estate Info[br]Mac Mini w/ Pure Music+iTunes>>Audiophilleo2>>Metrum Octave>>Passive Attenuator>>GFA555II>>JBL6332

Lived with a pair for a couple years. Small, dynamic, with a -3db of 44hz. A pair with stands is currently listed for $3200 over at Audiogon - Add a pair of subs down the road and I think you'd be quite happy.

good luck

Mac Mini -> USB -> DEQX Express (fully active 3 way) -> 10 Channel 3000 watt Denon POA -> DIY Scan Speaks

Vandersteen 2Ce Signature II or used Vandersteen 3A Signature

http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/107vandy

http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/128/index.html

http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/vandersteen_3a_signature.htm

Forget standmount speakers, they usually take up as much space as a floorstander with a similar footprint and will not easily provide the full audio spectrum.

13.3" MacBook Air, 4GB RAM, 256GB SSD; iTunes/Bit Perfect; MacBook Air SuperDrive; Western Digital My Book Essential 2TB USB HD; Schiit Bifrost USB DAC; Emotiva USP-1, ERC-1 and two UPA-1s; Pro-Ject Xpression III and AT440MLa; AKAI AT-2600 and Harman Kardon TD4400; Grado SR80i; Magnepan MMG Magnestands; and, Rythmik Audio F12

I am with Audiodoctor from above - try the ZU Essence - they come in bookshelf as well. They have 60 day return policy so you would only be out shipping if you don't like. They have been putting many on e-bay. The floorstanders have been going for around $2,000 vs, $4,000 list price.

I like the PSB imagine Bs as well. If I were looking for new speakers, I'd check out Ascend Acoustics: http://www.ascendacoustics.com/.

Macmini (as server)-> AE Express/SB Touch-> Dacmagic plus -> Outlaw RR2150 -> PSB Image T6 (dedicated 2 channel audio system)

Macmini (via toslink)-> NAD T747 -> PSB Imagine B/SVS SB2000 subwoofer (home theater)

Macbook Pro-> Peachtree idecco->PSB Imagine Minis, Energy ESW-M8 subwoofer, Beyerdynamic DT880 (home office)

IMac->audioengine D1 dac->airmotiv 4 (work system)

Hey Jason -

I keep hearing great things about the Zu Audio Essence speakers. Showed a picture of them to the better half and did not get a very warm and fuzzy feeling about them. Brrrr....

I think I will need to stick with stand mounted or at most, very thin and elegant looking floorstanders no more than 40"-42" high. Any suggestions of an industrial look are being met with a very high WAF factor right now.

I want sounds I am happy with, but looks that Karen is happy with. The rich dark wood finish on the PSBs, and their small size, is what I think is attractive to Karen more than anything else.

-Paul

Robert A. Heinlein

Those look sweeet, and I know if you like em I am almost certain to like them too.

Ran into slight roadblock - Karen liked them, especially the beautiful finish on them until she found out there was no grill to hide the speakers.

Why in the world would they make something so pretty and leave that industrial look on the front?

-Paul

Robert A. Heinlein

Hi Trappy -

Those look pretty nice indeed, as does the little "WOW1." Probably a dumb question, but do any of those have any kind of grill? :)

I am thinking the darker the finish, the more likely Karen is to go with it if it does not have a grill on it.

-Paul

Robert A. Heinlein

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/opera-loudspeakers-seconda-floor-standing-speakers-in-c

The "poor man's" Sonus Faber. Only 40" tall and 9.5" wide.

13.3" MacBook Air, 4GB RAM, 256GB SSD; iTunes/Bit Perfect; MacBook Air SuperDrive; Western Digital My Book Essential 2TB USB HD; Schiit Bifrost USB DAC; Emotiva USP-1, ERC-1 and two UPA-1s; Pro-Ject Xpression III and AT440MLa; AKAI AT-2600 and Harman Kardon TD4400; Grado SR80i; Magnepan MMG Magnestands; and, Rythmik Audio F12

Hi Paul,

Yes they do; nice magnetic ones. The magnets are concealed by the speaker baffle. They look pretty amazing even without the grilles, although the woofer looks a trifle intimidating...

Cheers,

Gerard

Mac Mini (+Tidal +Roon) -> WiFi -> Lyngdorf TDAI1120 ->JM Reynaud Lucia (Tellurium Q Black v2)

Hi Paul,

Actually quite a few of the best speaker manufacturers do not use grills on their speakers. Magico does not use grills, Rockport does not use grills, YG Acoustics does not use grills, Evolution Acoustics does not use grills, etc. There is most likely a performance reason.

Its too bad, as those little Evolution Acoustics are even better looking in person than what pictures show. The finish that they use is extremely good and you get some really good sound in a very small package.

"Well, last Saturday, my much loved better half announced to me that she really didn't like the sound of the Maggie 1.7s as much as I do, and worse, they were just too damn big for the living room. Turns out she is a little intimidated by the "right there in your room" way the Maggie's sound."

I have heard this from customers before. I have not been a fan of PSB speakers, but hey, to each his own. If you like them and have heard them sound good before then you should probably get a pair. Sounds like your wife is pretty picky about things so if that aesthetic is one she will go along with then at least you have that part licked.

I, like some others that have written, are not sure why stand mounts are what you are focusing on. A small floor stander will not take up and more real estate and like the saying goes "a good biggun is always better then a good small one".

The little Vandersteen 1 is a delightful speaker and can be had in different fabrics, woods and won't even cost you what you have budgeted. A decent choice for designer friendly looks and good sound. There are many speakers out there as you are aware and just go and have a listen to a few and take your wife to give the final thumbs up.

David

Paul, if you haven't been there yet, I'd recommend you go down to Whetstone Audio in South Austin. Brian DiFrank is the owner and he has a lot of small footprint speakers (monitors and floorstanders) that you can hear right at his store. He carries speakers from Harbeth, Devore, Rega, Zu, Wharfdale and a few others. Not sure which of these has grills. But it is a cool little store with a very friendly environment.

Hi David -

I guess I owe you the pleasure of rubbing it in a bit! I do so hate it when you are so often right... (grin)

The look of the things is very important to Karen. I can see that - the Maggies are 2ft taller than she is and to her way of thinking, not very room friendly. They aren't, but I actually like the way they look, and I dearly love the sound. :)

She is really apprehensive about anything much larger than the PSBs, and she really likes the rich, dark finish of the wood. Heck, I like it too, the little PSB Imagines and Synchronys are just flat out pretty.

It really does make a difference to her if they are floor standing or if they are stand mounted, and whether the difference is "real" or not, to Karen it is real. That's quite real enough for me. :)

Now, I will argue a bit that "a good biggun is always better than a good small one." I think in pretty much everything but bass response, a good stand mounted speaker will eat a floorstander's lunch.

Certainly that is true on a dollar for dollar comparison. I would far rather have a $20K stand mounted speaker than a $20K floorstander. The comparable floorstander can be 50% or more costlier than a stand mounted speaker of the same quality. $2000 vs. $3000, $20,000 vs $30,000, and so on. YMMV.

-Paul

Robert A. Heinlein

Hi Arnie -

I will be passing through there soon, but I didn't realize Brian carried any smaller models than the Joseph Audio Pulsars. ($7k, over the budget.)

Guess I'll call him up or email him and chat a bit too.

-Paul

Robert A. Heinlein

Hi Brian -

(grin) Now, would you believe our local dealer has a set of those that he took in trade? They somehow don't look as appealing in person in 2012 as they did in 1976 or so. :)

Come to think of it, back then, AMC Gremlins looked pretty cool to me too... whooo boy....

-Paul

Robert A. Heinlein