IGNORED

Rel repair timeline

Well, the replacement sub started acting up today.  I heard this noise, which at first I thought was some radio transmitter interference or something -- kind of sounded like someone scratching on a chalkboard.  Turned off everything but the sub.  It persisted until I turned the sub off -- using a wooden stick, just in case it decided to try to kill me.  Doesn't smell too good either.  I was listening to something quiet enough to allow someone else in the house to sleep, so I don't think I was over-driving this thing.

POS is well out of warranty now.  

I took it apart to have a look.  Looks like it had a small fire in there, and the stench is overwhelming. No way is that thing coming back in my house. It's like having an EPA superfund cleanup site in a small black box.  I guess I should be grateful I was here when it happened, so it didn't burn my house down and kill the dogs and birds.

This thing is a total hunk of shit.  I wouldn't wish one of these products on my worst enemy.

Really need a subwoofer?

When the things graduate from just not working to trying to kill you, maybe it’s nature’s way of telling you that you should listen to something besides E Power Biggs.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

6 hours ago, wgscott said:

If I can't get it fixed for a reasonable price, maybe I should just get this thing and slap it on the back:

https://www.parts-express.com/yung-sd300-6-300w-class-d-subwoofer-plate-amplifier-module-with-6-db-at-30-hz--301-510

The rest is just a speaker in a glossy black box.

If you want a reliable sub from a stand up company consider SVS. I have two SB2000s -12" non-ported. They easily keep up with my single driver speakers. They are also very reasonably priced.

Another possibility is to get one of those Crown Class D amps with builtin crossover instead of strapping on another plate amp.

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

6 hours ago, Jud said:

Really need a subwoofer?

For the TV, etc, yes.  For the (stand-alone) stereo, no.  I had this thing behind the TV, so the facts that (a) it was down-firing, (b) took LFE from my receiver and (c) took speaker-level from my amp allowed me to share the same component with both, but the stereo speakers benefit only marginally from the sub (less so, now that I use Dirac DSP room correction).

When the things graduate from just not working to trying to kill you, maybe it’s nature’s way of telling you that you should listen to something besides E Power Biggs.

Or nature's way of telling me that I should by standard, consumer-grade audio products instead of over-priced, high-brow death-traps.

If I mod the box with a new plate amp, I would just use it for the TV.

Maybe this is nature's way of telling me it is time to get full-range active speakers.

1 hour ago, wgscott said:

Fortunately, there is no way for me to upload the toxic smell.

Remember that company years ago that made headlines with the device you attached to your computer and it would spray appropriate fragrances at you, depending on what your active web page said?  To give you the fragrance component of your internet experience.....

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

56 minutes ago, wgscott said:

Transmission failure.

Ow.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

My REL sub has served me well for 10 years or so.

As for trouble with warranty returns... Some years ago an LCD monitor of mine failed. I submitted an RMA request as instructed and heard nothing for a week or so. Then I sent them an email threatening legal action. Within hours they arranged a pickup of the faulty item. A couple of weeks passed in silence. I sent another email threatening legal action, and they promptly sent me a working unit. I'm still using it.

Moral of the story, lawyers can be useful even without paying them.

25 minutes ago, mansr said:

My REL sub has served me well for 10 years or so.

As for trouble with warranty returns... Some years ago an LCD monitor of mine failed. I submitted an RMA request as instructed and heard nothing for a week or so. Then I sent them an email threatening legal action. Within hours they arranged a pickup of the faulty item. A couple of weeks passed in silence. I sent another email threatening legal action, and they promptly sent me a working unit. I'm still using it.

Moral of the story, lawyers can be useful even without paying them.

Well, this one is out of warranty, but I pulled out the insulation (or whatever you call the stuff they put around the inside of the box) and saw that it had burned. I'd be kind of surprised if that is legal.

if hazardous enough, you could report it online to the Consumer Product Safety Commission or whatever their name is - they will "open a file" - and if enough people have enough fires started in their houses, they may act

make of car?

13 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

if hazardous enough, you could report it online to the Consumer Product Safety Commission or whatever their name is - they will "open a file" - and if enough people have enough fires started in their houses, they may act

make of car?

Toyota Sienna.

I doubt there are that many Rel fires.

If you like the idea of actives, you should definitely audition some. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)