IGNORED

How to test POLARITY/PHASE of your Speakers and Entire Sytem?

ccclapp

esldude

I really want to thank you for the time you have/are taken in helping me with this!!

I will do exactly as you describe. This is very clear.

Prior to this, I mis-understood that this was testing the speakers. I understand now.

Do I care if the signal is inverse polarity at both speaker poles, or do I only care if they are different? I have read that some sound cards and/or other equipment reverse polarity, which I imagine would have the above result. If I change polarity for the e.g sound card, it would be reversed for other devices.

Thanks again!

-Caleb

C.A.P.Sv2-Mytek Stereo192-Twisted Pair Audio Buffalo III M-ch-Sennheiser HD800-Beyerdynamic T1-Lexicon MC12b-Theta Dreadnought-Infinity Prelude MTS-Sonos-JRiver MC-12TB DataTale eSATA

Today I followed esldude's procedure, above and determined that the signal coming into my speakers (from amp) is correct polarity.

Then I used REW (Room EQ Wizard) to measure the frequency response sweeps and examine the IR plot in %fs mode to see in the initial fs peaks (in polarity) or falls (out of polarity) Here are the results:

REW METHOD:

1) do sound card calibration and look at very 1st wave on the IR plot to see if it is up or down. This will tell me if sound card is reverse polarity.

2) Holding mic (calibrated behringer) a couple inches from a given speaker driver measure a sweep limited in frequency to the center frequency between the upper and lower published crossover frequency (to limit to a single driver and stay away from crossover abnormalities). Look at the IR plot to see if initial curve is up or down

REW RESULTS:

NOTE: It would be great if someone would look at the IR pics below to confirm polarity. My basic question is: Many results show a 40%fs-70%fs peak or fall, followed by a 100%fs opposite peak/fall. Do I consider the 1st or 2nd as my true indicator of polarity. NOTE: all 40-70%fs were peaks (in polarity) and all 100%fs were falls (out of polarity). I also tested my soundcard and it was a single clear peak (in polarity).

Here are images:

Soundcard IR

pic soundcard polarity ir.jpg

Bass/Sub Connected Normally:

pic sub polarity ir.jpg

Bass/Sub Connected Reversed:

pic sub reversed polarity ir.jpg

Midrange Connected Normally:

pic mid polarity ir.jpg

Low Tweeter Connected Normally:

pic low tweet polarity ir.jpg

High Tweeter Connected Normally:

pic high tweet polarity ir.jpg

-Caleb

C.A.P.Sv2-Mytek Stereo192-Twisted Pair Audio Buffalo III M-ch-Sennheiser HD800-Beyerdynamic T1-Lexicon MC12b-Theta Dreadnought-Infinity Prelude MTS-Sonos-JRiver MC-12TB DataTale eSATA

It's almost a lost cause.

I have polarity switches on my battery powered preamp. The polarity from my cartridge to the speakers (which are wired with positive polarity) is straightforward.

Switching the polarity switches during play it's generally easy to hear an inverted phase recording. The bass tightens up and there is more air or separation around the instruments.

I say it's almost a lost cause because this often occurs from track to track on many recordings. A preamp with a remote that has a phase selector would make critical listening much simpler.