IGNORED

Contemplating speaker replacement

The sound quality I get from headphones is much better than what I get from my speakers. This may be due to the speakers being old. They're Cambridge Soundworks original Ensemble, bought in 1987. What I hear might be the amplifier, too, which is an equally old Sony ES-line power amp.

The problem is they just sound strident, especially or choral music. So, I'm thinking of looking around for a smoother replacement. I'm not going to spend gobs of money, either. Because there are thousands of speakers out there I'd like some suggestions of where to start looking for smooth, accurate speakers. That don't cost an arm and a leg, and don't require a 5kW amplifier built by specially-licensed gnomes in a secret cave below Mt Ararat.

These would be driven by my current computer-based system, with a Benchmark DAC1 USB handling the pre-amp function. Let the fun begin!

Hey LC - Not sure what size of speakers your looking for, but a few come to mind. I have heard excellent things about Avalon Acoustics NP2. They are around $2000. I also keep hearing good things about the musicality of Harbeth speakers, but not sure how much they cost. I've heard the B&W 805S and love the sound for a bookshelf size speaker.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

LC - to my ear, nothing has really been able to beat the sound of speakers in the Klipsch Heritage line. From the Klipschorn ($$$) down to the 'lowly' Heresy's, they all sound great. I don't know what your price range is, but at $798, I would highly recommend that you find a serious Klipsch dealer and give the Heresy a listen. They don't need special amplification either. That was always one of PWK's selling points about his babies - they are all super efficient and super clean. They DO want your amp(s) to be very clean at LOW power output however, as they are so efficient.

I've got a childhood friend that still thanks me for recommending this speaker to him. 20 YEARS AGO.

markr

REALLY. See if you can find a conveniently located one of those 'serious' Klipsch dealers from here: http://www.klipsch.com/products/lists/heritage.aspx

How do your go about addressing a Lord? At any rate, you failed to mention a signficant factor in your decision making process; how big of a check do you want to write? I am exposed to many speakers on a daily basis. Klipsch are good at getting loud fast. They are not accurate in general and since that is already one of your complaints re: the stridency, I would be hesitant to recommend them. Better suited for home theater. The B&W 805's Chris recommends are very good. They are also $2500.00. B&W just released the new 680 series which are much smoother and better integrated than their predecessors and incorporate a lot of the research done for the megabuck 800 series. I would recommend the 685 in that line at $650.00/pair. Much better than the slightly less expensive 686. The 705's are $1700.00/pair and are a little on the bright side. The CM-1 is incredible smooth, fairly high resolution and have surprisingly good bass extension for $1,000/pair. They are also very nice looking. Sonus Faber makes a very musical pair of speakers in their Concertino model at $1500. Very smooth, maybe a little rounded like a nice tube amp and drop dead gorgeous. Lots of things to choose from and I have only mentioned what I am very familiar with. The Benchmark is quite nice for the money but tends to lack a little air and resolution so that will be a factor in your choice. Everything I have mentioned is reasonably efficient and does not represent any particular challenge in terms of the load, none being difficult to drive in terms of impedance or phase shifts.

Probably more info than you were looking for. I am less familiar with Paradigm, but they are well respected at moderate price ranges and I believe everything mentioned is superior to the Klipsch.

Most importantly, try not to buy anything without hearing it first, preferably in your own system. We loan out things regularly and how a speaker works in the context of your room and your system can't be ignored, not to mention subjective tastes.

Happy hunting.

Audio Research DAC8, Mac mini w/8g ram, SSD, Amarra full version, Audio Research REF 5SE Preamp, Sutherland Phd, Ayre V-5, Vandersteen 5A\'s, Audioquest Wild and Redwood cabling, VPI Classic 3 w/Dynavector XX2MkII

Hey rom661 - Thanks for your input from a dealer's perspective. I know I didn't start this thread but I still like to hear what you have to say about LC's search for new speakers.

I think we should also think about system synergy here. As we all know components to a great sounding system don't exist in a vacuum. LC - What style of amp will you be driving these speakers with? SET, solid state etc... What size room are you going to do your listening in?

As we read in the last couple of posts, everyone has different ideas about what sounds good. Some speakers are more musical and some more accurate. A musical and accurate speakers is ideal of course. Some like horns while others like electrostatics.

LC - what are your thoughts so far?

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Rom, I was just starting to like you. Heh.

I'll put the ole Khorns up against any of those. In fact you can put a few of em together! Gonna need a sub I dare say. Okay, I'm biased and a Klipschaholic, but I have other stuff too. Seriously, cabinet and speaker size matter, just physics. But, if you like it who cares?

Heritage products are not for everyone. $2,000 - 2,500 is sweet spot for used horns. Plenty of other used stuff down to about $500. Yes they get loud, but at low volumes they are gentle and sound just flows effortlessly. You deserve a listen before you decide!

Then you have the issue of amps. Try a 300B or most any low wattage amp on a speaker with 85-88 dbs and well, you'll be hunting a bigger amp, looking for bass or more efficient speakers unless you listen to quieter passes. Math this time. Depends how you listen. You may look for more even with a 105db speaker, but it’s usually in the bass register.

So I’m with Mark! Whodaguessed? Devotees.

I gotta admit, it depends on a lot of things, but at low volumes or high, you should find someplace to hear Heritage products as well as everything else listed. Heck, someplace you can find the frequency curves for most things, if that matters over your ears, then do the efficiency calculations based on your amp choices, then you will narrow things down to a few things that interest you.

Let us know what you choose!

Okay Rom, now I feel better and am back to liking you!

George

Size doesn't matter all that much, although small would fit better in my cluttered living room. I'm unwilling to spend a ton of money because the room itself has a much stronger influence on the sound than the Benchmark or even the speakers. it's hard plaster all over, hardwood floor, and my listening position is off-center due to other considerations. So, I'm not looking for perfection.

Amplification is also open. It could even be that the larger problem with my sound quality is due to the amp's age, so perhaps I should start with getting this one looked at or replacing it with something newer.

I haven't heard a Klipsch speaker in years. Didn't even know they were still in business. The others mentioned above I've never heard of. I guess there's no substitute for touring the shops and seeing what's available around here.

I wouldn't be too upset with spending $2K for a pair of speakers. A basic, decent power amp shouldn't be too much; I have no intention of going after Levinson or Macintosh unless there's a really good reason to do so, such as buying a house with a real listening room.

Basically... I'm looking for better, not perfect. Perfection is a will o' the wisp that leads people into swamps of depression. I just want music.

w00t! Them's FIGHTIN' WORDS Rom661!

Maybe the newer of the Klipsch lines have an issue with accuracy - I wouldn't know about that however - no real listening time put-in there - because I found my perfect speakers years ago: Klipsh Heritage Line - LaScala, in my case. To call Heritage Line speakers innacurate or having issues with stridency...... well... that would call the source of that opinion into question as to its overall veracity for me.

Could it be that 'Rom' hasn't listened to the Heritage line at all? (That is the ONLY other thing that would explain that statement for me). They are expensive to stock-in-store and it is rare to see them in a stereo shop nowadays. The last time I asked at a store here that used to show them, I was told: "this is a 'home stereo' store, we don't sell professional speakers here." All they had were the newer lines of Klipsch - which I don't find particularly great speakers. That is why I mentioned that you should find a "serious Klispsch dealer"- ask if you can hear Heritage Line speakers in their shop. I just found out that the closest one to me is over 40 miles away, and I live in a major metro area.

Rom, .... Oh well, no accounting for taste. OR hearing.....? - I'll DEFINITELY agree to disagree, if you will. Nothing I have ever heard, not any B&W or Paradigm- nothing - has 'lifted me' the way these horns do. They ARE big though - which is why I mentioned the Heresy, but the Cornwall will give a bit more oomph without breaking the bank or filling the living room.

markr

An OBVIOUSLY biased horn true-believer. .... yes, but for good reason.

Simple? Yes. Great and accurate sounding? Yes. They aren't called "Heresy" for nothing either. These are only 2/3 horn loaded, and that name came from another horn true believer who thought it to be a heresy that they could sound as good as they do while not being fully horn loaded: Paul W. Klipsch - An absolute legend in American High Fidelity Audio speaker design and manufacturing.

Of course none of the stuff offered here or in any of the other posts here is a reason to buy Klipsch speakers or any other brand, LC (remember LC, y'all?) Liking what you hear is. Please give these a try. If for no other reason than that they are simple. I don't think you will be sorry. Especially if you bring the chorale music that is in question with you when you go. Listen to them at low level too..... ;-)

markr

http://www.nmsu.edu/~ucomm/Releases/2002/May2002/Klipsch_obit.html

but reading between the lines, there may be some similarities between us as it regards the way we hear our music. And, sorry markr, I'm not a Klipsch fan.

I'll confess right off the bat that one of my closest audiophile friends works for one of the biggest B&W dealers in the south (but he listens to Vandersteen Quattros at home —just bought the new $11K wood version in the past week), and that another one of my buddies has owned more different horn speakers than you could shake a stick at, including Tannoys and Heresys. Me, although by no means are my demands in speakers simple and easily satisfied, I have lived with the same speaker system for more than a decade now. No sense in bringing up what they are since the designer/builder stopped making them about 5 years ago, but they are among the 3 best sounding loudspeakers I've ever heard, and their $6K retail price was, IMHO, a bargain.

I will tell you here, though, that if my money spending priorities were a little different, and I was willing to put the computer audio project on the back burner, I would be buying a pair of Harmony Audio Idun IIs. One of my buddies who actually introduced me to the finer aspects and thrills of being an audiophile bought a pair of these last Fall, and had me up for a visit in November to hear them. I was awestruck! These are truly the finest sounding loudspeaker I've ever heard regardless of price. I don't want to turn this into a review for them, but there is no doubt in my mind that the floor standing version (brouse around over there and you'll find it) will be my next and final speaker purchase. http://www.harmonyaudio.net/_idun.htm

As for power, I am running a 24 year-old Quicksilver MS-190. This puts out 95 watts using 4 EL34s per side. I have bought and sold many another amp since owning this one, i.e. there are many claimants to the throne, but none that could deliver the goods. Another friend who is the local Quicksilver dealer once told me that the builder of that amp said that only one other amp he has ever designed could outperform this amplifier (the M-135), but that it was too cost-prohibitive to keep in the line. It is my personal opinion that amplifier power is like money in the bank: it is better to have it and not need it instead of the reverse. Both the Idun 2 and my own unnamed speakers are rated at 93 dB sensitivity. That is to say that the amp is coasting even at high sound levels. This, I think, is the key to acquiring good sound

George and Mark

Yeah, I have heard them countless times. I have sold them. They have been around forever. It's great that you like them. Enjoy. I didn't mean to insult your tastes. However, they are inaccurate. I don't know of anyone in the industry who would dispute that. I have designed speakers for over two decades and I could tell you why but let's not bother. They do some things well and obviously that appeals to you. In fairness, the Heritage line is more true to its design philosophy than the more recent designs, which is more what I was thinking of in my answer and which I don't personally care for. I was trying to give a range of products to listen to based on what was shared. I don't own any of what I mentioned as suggestions. They are all smoother and more accurate than Klipsch. The simple fact is that horns do some things well and others rather badly. Admittedly I am somewhat spoiled by what I consider to be better balanced designs. What I use at home is over $20,000 a pair and I have intentionally not named the brand. I listen to a lot of acoustic music, traditional jazz, and classical, as well as rock, blues, etc. For me, acoustic, naturally recorded music demands accuracy, both in terms of timbre and phase. My personal prejudice. And nothing I have ever heard gives it all, no matter the budget. Horns and electrostatics have inherent advantages that were more significant in earlier times when power and crossover design issues were more of a factor and helped compensate for their shortcomings. I would like to have the "jump factor" of the Heritage line but I could personally never live with the colorations.

The 300B based amps are another case in point. A well designed SET w/300B's can have exquisite midrange. It is like falling in love. Unfortunately they severely limit your systems choices, as mentioned, and they truly suck at other things. Again, highly colored but in a way that some find very attractive to the point where they overlook the egregious shortcomings.

Chris, I would like to thank you for your assistance in my project. You and Gordon have been very helpful. With all due respect, I know what I know and I also know what I don't know. As I get older, I find this to be rather helpful in life. Your input has helped me greatly reduce my learning curve, although I still have a ways to go. We presently have a server up and running that is at least competitive to a decent transport. I am waiting to upgrade the USB cable and to receive one of Gordon's new DAC's. Hopefully that will be enough to prove the validity of what we would like to present to our customers. Very high resolution speakers and electronics, hopefully of a musical sort rather than an analytical one, require commiserate signal quality to fully appreciate them. The Benchmark DAC is a good value, but I am looking forward to hearing the connection with a higher performance DAC. I am NOT dissing the Benchmark, before someone else decides they don't like me. However it does not compete with the DAC in a five figure, well designed CD player. I am optimistic about being able to provide good value, the desired ergonomics, and high performance to our customers, and to myself for that matter. By the way, I had a conversation with a good friend who heads up a large high end cable company. I shared some of what we have been doing and asked why they didn't have a USB offering. I think we will see something from them in the next 90 days. This is a very large player who simply hadn't thought about it before.

Having said that, I am going to retire to the sidelines. Having to walk on eggshells when discussing gear that I know intimately is too much like work, and there I get paid (in a good year). I had forgotten why I avoid forums, although this is one of the more benign ones. I just saw you get blasted on another. Sorry, but life is too short. If you would like me to share anything I find that I consider interesting with you directly, I would be happy to do so. I will also "leak" more stuff to you when I can, if you like. I will share the cable company but that needs to be private for the moment. You can decide what you would like to put on the forum. No need to attribute anything to me.

Thanks again.

Rick

Audio Research DAC8, Mac mini w/8g ram, SSD, Amarra full version, Audio Research REF 5SE Preamp, Sutherland Phd, Ayre V-5, Vandersteen 5A\'s, Audioquest Wild and Redwood cabling, VPI Classic 3 w/Dynavector XX2MkII

I kind of included you in my longer posting but in terms of answering your direct questions, yes I have heard them, many times, they have the throat coloration that plagues virtually all horns, if you like them, great, enjoy them in good health. I have been familiar with them since the time when they were not the Heritage line but simply the line. I will definitely agree to disagree. There are things that non-horn speakers don't do as well but many other things that they do better. There is a reason that you don't see them in many stores. They don't sell well. That is not meant as a put down, just a matter of business. Part of it is their size. It is getting harder and harder to sell large speakers. Hell, it is getting harder to sell things that sit on the floor rather than in the wall. Yes, they are big but that is not an issue for us in terms of what we show. The largest speaker we keep on the floor, admittedly on an intermittent basis, is the Wilson Maxx II at 400 lbs each and $49,000.00 a pair. The B&W 800D's weigh in at well over 200 lbs each and are either spectacular looking or butt ugly, depending on your tastes.

I do agree that if you like horns, the old ones are the way to go. My impression of the newer ones, which I have admittedly had less exposure to, is you get most of the weakesses and the strengths are watered down. Frankly my comment was more geared towards the newer ones since that is virtually all you see anymore, as you mentioned. For me, horns are kind of like electrostatics; something of a one trick pony but if that trick grabs you, you are probably hooked. I think I am seriously mixing my metaphors.

Enjoy your system as I will mine.

HEY LC! What speakers have you gone and listened to since you started this thread? Is there a shoutcast locator you can send our way for your 'casts'? - later -

Now -

I do definitely agree to disagree with you Rom. I know of the 'measured shortcomings' with horns that you write of here, and more to boot. I would have thought you'd actually try using some of the technical quantification jargon here for 'proofsies'. Thanks for saving space! I've seen and studied the figures. Then, I've sat and listened; for (well over) 40 years now. Those 'figures' have never translated to my ears, and those horns still sound the same. It is a good thing that they only HAVE to do one trick, eh?

For myself, I hear shortcomings with system designs that you mentioned (No, I haven't heard everything ever..)

Finally, the cost is irrelevant when searching for what you NEED in a speaker. I don't sell them anyway. That isn't what I do. I listen to them, and I produce music with them.

It is pointless to argue with a sightless person about the hue of the blue. Wouldn't you agree? (I'm not trying to say that that is either one of us here..) So let's just listen. - not sure if thats metaphoric, but it IS mixed!

No hard feelings a'tall. Yes: ENJOYING it is what it is all about. Thanks for turning the pontification and blatherization down somewhat too.

markr

About 15 years ago I made a huge (for me at the time) investment in an FFT analyzer, B&K lab microphone, supporting hardware and software, blah, blah, blah. My first design using the new stuff was ruler flat. Obviously I was a genius. Then I made the serious mistake of listening to them. They were utterly wretched. A few years of work later and I actually came up with something reasonably listenable. I have a fair amount of experience measuring speakers; I can tell you lots about a speaker by looking at a competent set of measurements. What I can't tell you is what they sound like overall.

My point is I agree with you on specs. All speakers are compromised and trade off some elements of performance to enhance others. Horn speakers in general, along with electrostatics, have more extreme tradeoffs than most dynamic designs. Electrostatic lovers are just as adamant that their chosen technology is the only one to own. You have found some that you obviously have strong feelings about. I am glad you enjoy them and hope they bring the passion to your life that music does for mine. I suspect we agree about more than we disagree about, at least where music is concerned. Music is important for my soul, silly as that may sound.

Several years ago I had a conversation with a very nice man who was the head of product development at Klipsch. They were looking at the viability of an audiophile grade design that kept the things that people enjoy about the older series of speakers while making them less colored. His words, not mine. And as I said, I do understand the element of excitement that some of the older designs bring to the table. They would not be my speaker of choice but I would love to be able to add that element to the speakers I use and still retain the areas of performance that are more important to me.

Speakers do have to only do one trick. And different approaches and designs work toward accomplishing that trick in many different ways. There is no one right design and that absolutely includes everything I carry, have ever owned and have ever heard, including Klipsch. And for the record, I will repeat that my comment was made with the "modern" Klipsch models in mind. They lack the visceral presence that made the original models appealing and still have the compromises. My opinion only, of course. I have two favorite speaker models in the store. I would love to wave a magic wand and combine them into one. Unfortunately I suspect that some of the things I like about each are mutually exclusive as part of the design process.

I suspect I am teetering on the edge of pontificating, blathering, or God forbid, bloviating. For the record, my name is Rick. Being insulted when using your sign in name seems so impersonal. Let's consider the topic closed, please.

Not closed properly. You left with undeserved 'advantage'.

This is what I mean: You say this -

re: speakers ONLY perform one trick -

"And different approaches and designs work toward accomplishing that trick in many different ways. There is no one right design and that absolutely includes everything I carry, have ever owned and have ever heard, including Klipsch. And for the record, I will repeat that my comment was made with the "modern" Klipsch models in mind. They lack the visceral presence that made the original models appealing and still have the compromises. My opinion only, of course. I have two favorite speaker models in the store. I would love to wave a magic wand and combine them into one. Unfortunately I suspect that some of the things I like about each are mutually exclusive as part of the design process."

So what you are saying when boiled to essence is: NO speaker is perfect, including the new/old Klipsch line (it doesn't matter). FINE. It is ALL preference. FINE. Yet you still say that my choice and others' are inaccurate while emphasizing inferiority to some standard you (seem to) hold and give me options to improve my lot. I say what an old friend of mine (now gone) used to say. When he sneezed he made a sound like: "HORRRSSE-SHIT"

I didn't say mine were perfect, just perfect for me. Then I simply offered my choice to another for trial. You then "measured my preference" into your oblivion of IDAKNOWHATSOLETSMEASUREIT, and attempted to disprove my preference. - I hereby recognize your expertise in measurement technologies and would like to hear some speakers that you designed that you think are "almost there". I know nothing is perfect. I'm a home owner for Christssakes. I have the same problem. I fight hard to overcome it. It doesn't always work.

DUDE! Lighten UP! Ted Nugent already released that album. It was called "Intensities in Ten Cities" I think I'm beginning to like you Rick. _REALLY_ I am not trying for the last word or one-upsmanship here. This matter is NOW closed in my books. How about you?

markr

I may be wrong, but I'm not wrong long.

PS: I met, talked with and enjoyed the company of, PWK on two occasions in San Antonio in the 1970's. He didn't mention his speakers being inaccurate. In fact, quite the opposite. But I wouldn't expect him to do anything else. Letsgetrealnow, OK?

PPS: DANG IT! Lord Chaos, are you out listening to anything good ON anything good this evening? Let us now reopen this thread for LC to get some input. Anyone....? ( Hey Innertuber!)

Hey guys - I just want to make sure the atmosphere stays collegial here. I like when everyone shares their opinion and even when they have very strong opinions. Fortunately I have talked to many of you via personal email on other matters, so I know everyone here has nothing but good intentions.

Thanks for your continued enthusiasm!

If nothing else, I have learned something. The conversation I had with the people from Klipsch were the result of their coming in to ask my opinion about a high end project they were contemplating. I didn't mention it because it sounded self serving on my part. As a result of our conversation, and accidentally running across another comment in another part of the forum, I realized that they actually did follow through on that project. I think they are calling it the Palladium or something to that effect, coming in around 15K. I would like to hear it. Our only local Klipsch dealers are either big box stores or one higher end one that wouldn't dream of bringing it in; they mainly do home theater stuff. The things they talked to me about sounded intriguing and I was curious about what they were going to do, as well as flattered that they asked my opinion. Their comment about midrange coloration was not in the context of their saying that their speaker was bad. It was addressing an acknowledged issue with that technology, like saying most dynamic cone drivers compress to a much larger degree than high sensitivity horns. I suspect that is one of the things you like about your speakers and it is certainly valid. At any rate, this was probably five years ago and I sort of assumed they dropped it for business reasons.

Apparently I didn't communicate well about my opinion of measurements. I fight it every day when people walk in with specs in their hands and are convinced that this tells them what they need to know. The challenge for us is just getting them to listen. If we don't have what they like, that's disappointing but OK, but for God's sake base your decision on what you like, not specs that have limited meaning and even then are only partially understood.

You are right about the parting shot. I felt the same way about your prior close but that doesn't excuse my being rude. By the way, thanks for the feedback I received from you on the high rez download question. My "almost there" comment about my speakers did not mean to imply almost there as far as being some kind of reference standard. Far from it. They are a modest design with modest goals. I meant almost there in terrms of being fairly respectable. They have all kinds of issues and one of the downsides of doing this stuff is that when you hook up your own little creation, all you can hear are its obvious flaws that drive you crazy. Being a quasi-amateur speaker builder and then spending time with Jim Thiel or David Wilson is kind of like have Tiger Woods watch you tee up. Brings you back to reality very quickly. But it is a blast being able to hang around with those guys if you are a geek like me.

BACK TO THE POST: I think one of the first things a person needs to do is evaluate his priorities, tastes, and his environment. Our disagreement has shown how significant that can be. Our initial encounter with someone in Lord Chaos' position involves asking a lot of questions about room, musical tastes, electronics, etc. The first words out of his mouth might eliminate my personal favorites, i.e., big room, small room, plays quietly, plays loud, rap vs. classical, etc. And again, I strongly encourage Lord Chaos to try to get an in home audition. I have heard good speakers sound horrible in certain rooms and vice versa. The term we use is how well it couples to the room. There are some generalities that you can use, i.e. small minimonitors in huge rooms don't make sense and very low bass response in a speaker can sometimes aggravate bad room nodes. But beyond that, I can't pretend to predict how something will couple to the room, not to mention the subjective issues. I used to but being wrong frequently broke me of the habit. At least by loaning things out we can help our customers make a more informed decision.

OK, I'm done. Best wishes.

Let me know if you hear the Palladiums. Like I said, it sounded like they were trying to create the best of both worlds which is what good designers do with whatever design approach they choose to embrace. I listened to some well recorded acoustic jazz earlier tonight on my system. It was wonderful. I am thinking of watching a David Bowie live DVD tomorrow and I will wish I had something more dynamic, albeit less nuanced. I think two systems may be the answer....

VERY nice Rick. Thank you for participating here ( I can be rude, and have been too.). I like the fact that you are: Detailed. Accurate. Opinionated. Looking forward.....

Aside to Chris: You sir, have a really good place for people to talk about 'doin' what we do'.

May TOTAL PEACE be unto all who visit here-markr

There are only two kinds of people: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

(not another) PS: Lord Chaos, you trouble maker (everyone, please re: to the top of this thread. The part where LC sez: "let the fun begin"}, we await your input....

Oh, yes. Great fun. I've decided the whole thing is just too complex, so I'm going to sell the whole outfit and buy a transistor radio. I still remember how much fun I had listening to music in my tree house in Kansas. That's where I first heard the Dixie Cups, which ought to give you some idea of when it was.

So there. :)

I agree: we have more in common than to separate. Speakers are a very personal kind of thing, though, and ears change with time and training. One person's magically revealing speaker is the next person's strident.

The problem for me is that I detest shopping. Going around to store after store, dealing with traffic and unctuous salesmen, just isn't my way of having a good time.

Chris, we really do need some real smileys here. :)

First I'm glad you didn't leave Rick. The really neat thing is we are all working on digital solutions and can talk about this other stuff as well. From a writing style I'm probably a bit different than you. I likely know the least round here when it comes to true techno issues, but I do study folks comments. We are similar in being here to learn and share.

I have a pair of DCM Timewindows, 1974's which were well rated in their day. I have some Infinity bookshelf speakers that I drag around sometimes more like headphones. I keep trying to tell myself how good the DCMs should sound, but the Infinities usually win out. I've done a good bit of testing and even talked to the DCM designer via email. I think they function correctly. Point of it all being, I am not the guy to get into a debate about what is really better, I can only say I like this or that, and maybe don't like those over there. I know playing bass thru a 100 watt marshall sounded pretty good years ago although it wasn't really the correct application. I never got on with a monster digital Fender amp. I loved a 15 inch tube Ampeg and didn't like a Peavy 18. I can drink cheap or expensive wine.

Glad you're here. You have experience I will never gain other than by reading your thoughts.

But, I scored 120 LPs over the weekend for 45 bucks. Gotta love this stuff.