IGNORED

Speaker placement formula?

Returning to the original question, if you have center channel at distance z, then for the front L/R channel position is:

a = ?/180*30

x = sin(a) * z

y = cos(a) * z

For rear channels:

a = ?/180*110

This layout gives the standard placement and doesn't need delays or level compensation (if all speakers have the same sensitivity).

Someone please correct me if I got one whiskey too many tonight. :)

Edit: I'm too used to computers... Most calculators support trigonometric functions in degrees too, in that case "a" is naturally just the angle without radian conversion...

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

" Most calculators support trigonometric functions in degrees too, in that case "a" is naturally just the angle without radian conversion..."

I think he said math wasn't his strong suit...

As to the formula above that, what are a x and y?

-Caleb

C.A.P.Sv2-Mytek Stereo192-Twisted Pair Audio Buffalo III M-ch-Sennheiser HD800-Beyerdynamic T1-Lexicon MC12b-Theta Dreadnought-Infinity Prelude MTS-Sonos-JRiver MC-12TB DataTale eSATA

I think he said math wasn't his strong suit...

So it becomes just "a = 30" or "a = 110".

As to the formula above that, what are a x and y?

y is the speaker placement on front-back axis

x is the speaker placement on left-right axis

To the other way from place to angle:

arctan(x / y) gives the angle (multiply with 180/? in case of radians)

Misaka

Would you mind picking some number for a steering- point variable and steping through the equation to set the speaker locations based on that starting point number?

That would clarify the practical use of your equation

Thanks

-Caleb

C.A.P.Sv2-Mytek Stereo192-Twisted Pair Audio Buffalo III M-ch-Sennheiser HD800-Beyerdynamic T1-Lexicon MC12b-Theta Dreadnought-Infinity Prelude MTS-Sonos-JRiver MC-12TB DataTale eSATA

That's why I didn't even respond! ;-) Went right over me head!

I am however not bad at plugging numbers into a formula if I know what the variables involved are and what I am plugging into what.

That was a hint btw.

FWIW I did mention that the 3 brain cells I have left often don't work concurrently so you might have to hit me over the head with it! At least I was honest!

Macbook Pro 2010->DLNA/UPNP fed by Drobo->Oppo BDP-93->Yamaha RXV2065 ->Panasonic GT25 -> 5.0 system Bowers & Wilkins 683 towers, 685 surrounds, HTM61 center ->Mostly SPDIF, or Analog out. Some HDMI depending on source[br]Selling Art Is Tying Your Ego To A Leash And Walking It Like A DoG[br]

Start with center channel placement.

z = distance from listening position to center speaker (whatever unit)

a = speaker layout angle of a channel (30 for front, 110 for rear)

x = offset left/right from center position (same unit as z)

y = offset back/front from listening position (same unit as z)

If you already placed FL/FR/RL/RR somewhere:

a = arctan(x / y)

• 6 years later...

Hi All,

A quick experiment with my speaker placement:

42055192604_a2f7ba014d_c.jpg

My room is around 40 square meters and rectangular shaped. I have my big active  ATCs along the long wall which allows me to keep them well away from the side walls (around 2.5M).
Short wall is about 5M and I have my speakers 1.4M from the front wall.
I'm sitting quite close to the back wall (60cm).

My listening position is just under 3M from the speakers, and they are just over 3M apart.
So, I'm quite close to my speakers, almost midfield listening position (like a big studio).

Because ATCs can play very clean and also loud (I like it loud!) I'm able to listen to music for hours on end, just like the many mastering engineers in many studios around the World.

Yesterday I decided to get even closer to the speakers but leaving them apart as before.
But with a more steep toe-in as can be seen from the attached pic.
I can appreciate the magic dome even more now, I get goosebumps allover especially with well recorded voices; I've been listening to Folk Singer album by Muddy Waters, just amazing!
It's like listening to a giant pair fantastic headphones!  ?

I thought I'd share it with you so you can experiment too. Especially in rooms with no or little room treatment, with a much closer listening positioning and steeper toe-in you may get better results.
It's worth a try and completely free, I believe speaker placement is very important

Best wishes.
Mev

mevdinc.com (My autobiography)
Recently sold my ATC EL 150 Actives!

1 hour ago, Simi123 said:

I have a small dedicated listening room that's rectangular (although not optimal proportions) and used the Cardas method in placing speakers that LeeS posted. I think it works really well, stereo imaging is much better than with any other configuration I tried.

Cardas placing method worked fine for me too. I also use golden ratio for other purposes.